Odd rtm not initiated
897 8 2019-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Captdan555
lvl.3
Flight distance : 301047 ft
United States

When flying the other day with the mavic pro it did an odd thing right after take off.  When airborn it indicated rtm point has been updated like normal.  Then not but a few min later I get “ aircraft close to home point, “ go home” shift to landing “ .    I did not initiate rtm,  and canceled the rtm activation.   I few on without issues.  I did have a few periods warnihgs about electrical interference in the area and to fly with caution.    Anyone have this notice pop up?  Also,  on play back in flight logs there is a scale on the right side of  the screen, never have known for sure what this is.
Any info would be appreciated..

2019-1-13
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Captdan555,

Best is to upload your flightrecord, so this forum can mayby tell you what happend.

use this > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

a video would help too ; scale on the right side...did you use a screen recorder to record this flight?

cheers
JJB
2019-1-13
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is an rtm? I have not heard of that unless you meant RTH?  rtm = return to mommy?

Post some screens and logs so we can identify what you are talking about.
Electrical interference or RF drop can lead to loss of signal and initiate a RTH automagically.
2019-1-14
Use props
Captdan555
lvl.3
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 1-14 06:18
What is an rtm? I have not heard of that unless you meant RTH?  rtm = return to mommy?

Post some screens and logs so we can identify what you are talking about.

Yes, RTH.   Typing on phone...   the mavic initiated RTH , but did not return to the correct home, was off by quite a distance, and would have landed in the water.  I canceled the RTH and flew on.   I’m having problems downloading the file.   I’m on an iPad mini,  but don’t have iTunes.  Seems at first glance I need it to download and I don’t have a need for iTunes.  
2019-1-14
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Captdan555 Posted at 1-14 16:10
Yes, RTH.   Typing on phone...   the mavic initiated RTH , but did not return to the correct home, was off by quite a distance, and would have landed in the water.  I canceled the RTH and flew on.   I’m having problems downloading the file.   I’m on an iPad mini,  but don’t have iTunes.  Seems at first glance I need it to download and I don’t have a need for iTunes.

If I recall correctly if the Mavic is within 20ft or so of the takeoff point and an RTH is triggered, it will just set down where it is rather than travel to GZ before landing -- think that might have been your case?

Ah, here's the manual entry:
Aircraft automatically descends and lands if RTH is triggered when the aircraft is within a 16 ft (5 m) radius of the Home Point.

As for why RTH was initiated -- you say there were interference warnings -- my bet is you lost connectivity for 3 secs, triggering fail-safe RTH. If your GPS lock was also fluctuating, that might also explain why RTH was off-target.
2019-1-14
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

As for the "scale" thing to the right of your log playback map -- I thought it was altitude but upon playing with some past logs that's clearly not the case. Signal strength? I dunno, and, as usual, DJI doesn't seem to have documented this anywhere I can find...
2019-1-14
Use props
Captdan555
lvl.3
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 1-14 17:13
If I recall correctly  if the Mavic is within 20ft or so of the takeoff point and an RTH is triggered, it will just set down where it is rather than travel to GZ before landing -- think that might have been your case?

Ah, here's the manual entry:

I think you have a very good point.. I flew a frew more missions without issue.   I'd like to post the flight here, and will try again when time permits. Oddly the mishap was right after take off.  I'm positive I did not intiate the RTH... thanks for the input.  Makes more sense than anything else I've heard.
2019-1-14
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 1-14 17:31
As for the "scale" thing to the right of your log playback map -- I thought it was altitude but upon playing with some past logs that's clearly not the case. Signal strength? I dunno, and, as usual, DJI doesn't seem to have documented this anywhere I can find...

Oh! I bet that scale represents the angular position of your camera.
2019-1-14
Use props
Captdan555
lvl.3
United States

Does this screen shot show anything enlightening?
After looking at this the RTH self initiated,  it seems I failed  to notice and flew another 30 plus feet. Then after approx 40 seconds I cancelled the RTH as the mavic was attempting to land ( not at home base).
Screenshot_20190114-204741_Gallery.jpg
2019-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules