Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
A different focus issue...
632 10 2019-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spicemeister
First Officer
  • >>>
Czechia

I'm currently away using my Osmo Pocket extensively for the first time and I've noticed something that is a little broken.

When I tap to focus on one point of the screen, after a few seconds it will always jump back to focusing on whatever is middle of the screen.

1st question - Just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue? Best way to check is with phone attached, have something close on left or right of screen and tap to focus, and see if it flicks back to center focus after a couple of seconds.

2nd question - I know focus pumping has improved but could this be the cause of it? If the camera is constantly trying to refocus to center of frame then it needs to keep adjusting right? I personally think the focus is sharp as hell and quick but there's a little pumping still and this stands out to me as a potential reason why.

3rd question, can it be fixed as I don't always want to have it focus on the center?

2019-1-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

Are you in single focus mode? Silly question I know, but still...
It's just that in single focus mode my Osmo Pocket ignores objects coming into focus in the foreground or background but may go out of focus with just minimal distance changes. In follow focus mode with slow tracking it's quite good at tracking anyone but it does try to centralise them. In the gimbal lock position and single focus, as long as distance remains the same you can place subjects anywhere within the frame and stay in focus. A lot will also depend on how far away your subject is.
2019-1-13
Use props
spicemeister
First Officer
  • >>>
Czechia

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-13 08:16
Are you in single focus mode? Silly question I know, but still...
It's just that in single focus mode my Osmo Pocket ignores objects coming into focus in the foreground or background but may go out of focus with just minimal distance changes. In follow focus mode with slow tracking it's quite good at tracking anyone but it does try to centralise them. In the gimbal lock position and single focus, as long as distance remains the same you can place subjects anywhere within the frame and stay in focus. A lot will also depend on how far away your subject is.

Nope this is on AFC mode, so usually I would do a reveal shot by focusing on foreground to left of shot and revealing it slowly then focusing on the background but the yellow box where you tap to focus kept jumping back to them middle.

Did end up trying it with AFS like you say though, and it worked fine!
2019-1-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

spicemeister Posted at 1-13 09:52
Nope this is on AFC mode, so usually I would do a reveal shot by focusing on foreground to left of shot and revealing it slowly then focusing on the background but the yellow box where you tap to focus kept jumping back to them middle.

Did end up trying it with AFS like you say though, and it worked fine!

Well, I'm glad you now have a workaround.
I seem to spend most of my life finding them for myself as no one piece of gear I possess is without some sort of problem that I don't have to think my way around.  The funny this is, the more 'Pro' you get, the more you rely on manual settings.
2019-1-13
Use props
spicemeister
First Officer
  • >>>
Czechia

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-13 11:16
Well, I'm glad you now have a workaround.
I seem to spend most of my life finding them for myself as no one piece of gear I possess is without some sort of problem that I don't have to think my way around.  The funny this is, the more 'Pro' you get, the more you rely on manual settings.

This is very true, every device has its quirks and they're all getting so good that when deciding on a product to buy, it's deciding which quirks you can live with!

I know you said you use AFS but I'm curious if you have the same issue as me with AFC where after a couple of seconds it will go back to center focus?
2019-1-13
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

spicemeister Posted at 1-13 11:52
This is very true, every device has its quirks and they're all getting so good that when deciding on a product to buy, it's deciding which quirks you can live with!

I know you said you use AFS but I'm curious if you have the same issue as me with AFC where after a couple of seconds it will go back to center focus?

To be honest I haven't had the situation to try that out yet. Most of what I've been doing has been with much larger subjects such as buildings trains and ships so far. So I'm both further away and having to travel either in parallel to the subject or allow them to cross my path. I did come across an independent  BBC film crew last week who wanted to know if it tracked action quite well. So we set to the pocket in a static location and various people ran back and forth and past each other to confuse it and I must say it coped very well. They thought it might be useful for recording behind the scenes footage.  If I can get to any Chinese New Year Celebrations in a few weeks time I'll try it out there.
2019-1-13
Use props
jordier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58760 ft
Spain

True, I always use AFS and I think that since the last update this issue that you mention has occurred. The exposure / focus box is placed in the center when you press the REC, this gives you a lot of insecurity, since initially you wanted to focus on an element that is in the foreground and you doubt if the focus has been modified. I hope you realize that when you press Rec the position of the box is positioned in the center.
2019-1-13
Use props
hedac
Second Officer
Spain

Yes... AFS is important. I hope we can change from AFC to AFS and back from the OP without having to plug the phone in a firmware update.
2019-1-13
Use props
spicemeister
First Officer
  • >>>
Czechia

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-13 12:29
To be honest I haven't had the situation to try that out yet. Most of what I've been doing has been with much larger subjects such as buildings trains and ships so far. So I'm both further away and having to travel either in parallel to the subject or allow them to cross my path. I did come across an independent  BBC film crew last week who wanted to know if it tracked action quite well. So we set to the pocket in a static location and various people ran back and forth and past each other to confuse it and I must say it coped very well. They thought it might be useful for recording behind the scenes footage.  If I can get to any Chinese New Year Celebrations in a few weeks time I'll try it out there.

Yeah it's really good for its tracking capabilities, can't wait to try them out a bit more.

It definitely comes into its own for larger subjects and wider shots, but with the f2 aperture it would be nice if it worked with these kind of pull focus shots aswell, I'll upload examples when I'm home on Thursday!

But yeah give it a go during the Chinese New year, interested in your findings!
2019-1-13
Use props
spicemeister
First Officer
  • >>>
Czechia

jordier Posted at 1-13 13:33
True, I always use AFS and I think that since the last update this issue that you mention has occurred. The exposure / focus box is placed in the center when you press the REC, this gives you a lot of insecurity, since initially you wanted to focus on an element that is in the foreground and you doubt if the focus has been modified. I hope you realize that when you press Rec the position of the box is positioned in the center.

That's exactly the problem, I think it happened before the firmware update too, I'm just surprised it hasn't been mentioned much, but youre right as if I'm just using the small screen on the OP, I have no idea what it's focusing on even if I tap to focus!
2019-1-13
Use props
spicemeister
First Officer
  • >>>
Czechia

hedac Posted at 1-13 15:20
Yes... AFS is important. I hope we can change from AFC to AFS and back from the OP without having to plug the phone in a firmware update.

Don't quote me but I think they said they're releasing this in the next firmware update early Feb! Much needed!
2019-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules