How many sats to fly?
3703 13 2019-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
charbel1011
lvl.3
United States

My uav app it says i have 12.9 sats is that good to fly or really bad?
2019-1-13
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

For me the satellites are mostly incorrect in Uavforecast app, so I don’t look at those in that app, I only look at the wind and the kp level in that app.
So really switch on the drone and see how many satellites it will have, it’s going to be different than in Uavforecast.

Fly safely
Alex
2019-1-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You need 6 sats to fly drone safely, your Aircraft is equipped with both GPS and Glonass receiver but you can’t tell how many of each satellites you have, if for instance your telemetry shows 10 sats you may only have 5 of each if you have 11 you have at least 6 of one type so safe to fly.

Using the number of sats is fine, but you also have a set of signal bars this can sometimes be your best gauge , so fo me I always like to see 4/5 bars lit up green.
2019-1-14
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I always listen for the MP or MPZ to say the home point has been updated then I know I have enough sat.

Usually 10 is enough for me.
2019-1-14
Use props
Bjs_express
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481496 ft
United States

Curious; what is the maximum satellites possible?  I have seen 20 so far on my app. using a Samsung Galaxy S9.
2019-1-14
Use props
Rcplanedude
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117900 ft
United States

I go for 10 Min  
2019-1-14
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

When i started to fly DJI drones and became member of this forum i always thought that GPS and Glonass did not work together (because some people on this forum say so), well having studied data in several DAT files i think they are both used at the same time.
GPS lock happens after 6, 7 or 8 sats (also depending on the reception level), so when the app says P-GPS its safe to fly.

But loosing sats during flight can happen when flying in builded area, so more sats than 8 is better. In my flat country i have almost always 14 or more sats.

@DJI moderators ; can you confirm that GPS and Glonass are both used at the same time for GPS position modes ?

cheers
JJB
2019-1-14
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Today I had 21 satellites

Fly safely
Alex
2019-1-14
Use props
Rcplanedude
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117900 ft
United States

my max is 17
2019-1-14
Use props
ajrulez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 447142 ft
United States

I go with min 10. as i had a crash with 6 connected.
PS: Depends if you fly closer to buidings and stuff more is better, open space 8 is good.  
2019-1-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

ajrulez Posted at 1-14 11:40
I go with min 10. as i had a crash with 6 connected.
PS: Depends if you fly closer to buidings and stuff more is better, open space 8 is good.

Anyone who advises to take off at 6/7 sats is not helping anyone and doing this could cause craft to go to Atti mode if any of these sats are dropped.
2019-1-14
Use props
ajrulez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 447142 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-14 12:24
Anyone who advises to take off at 6/7 sats is not helping anyone and doing this could cause craft to go to Atti mode if any of these sats are dropped.

Yes it is true.
2019-1-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

JJBspark Posted at 1-14 09:06
Hi,

When i started to fly DJI drones and became member of this forum i always thought that GPS and Glonass did not work together (because some people on this forum say so), well having studied data in several DAT files i think they are both used at the same time.

I believe a GPS receiver using a combination of both U.S.'s GPS and Glonass GPS needs a minimum of two of one type and three of other type, for a total of five GPS satellites to get a fix.  Whereas GPS receiver using only one of types (U.S. or Glonass), needs total of four GPS satellites.

The reason for two of a type when both U.S. and Glonass is being used, has to do with difference in time references between two types.

The requirement of "6, 7 or 8" GPS satellites with DJI drones to get a lock comes down to added accuracy and DJI having extra GPS satellite in case of loss of one satellite.
2019-1-14
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-14 19:46
I believe a GPS receiver using a combination of both U.S.'s GPS and Glonass GPS needs a minimum of two of one type and three of other type, for a total of five GPS satellites to get a fix.  Whereas GPS receiver using only one of types (U.S. or Glonass), needs total of four GPS satellites.

The reason for two of a type when both U.S. and Glonass is being used, has to do with difference in time references between two types.

Hi,

In general GPS signals give better positional accurancy than GLONASS, but GLONASS has a better accurancy at high latitudes.

These days we have chips / modules wich seamlessly combine both signals.
If DJI drones uses this kind of module (wich i believe they do) 4 sats (2 GPS, 2 GLONASS) can give a GPS position.
Number of sats shown in the GO 4 app is the total of GPS+GLONASS.

But ofcourse is flying with a low sats number risky, if the receiver looses (too much) GPS signals drone goes into OPTI/ATTI.
So you need more sats in an urban area than in a wild open field....better safe than sorry so my good-to-fly 11 sats is my minimun to go for it.

cheers
JJB

2019-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules