1234Next >
122869 137 2019-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_BJsOtM3YBFEn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1004 ft
Canada

YES!!! I'm so happy guys I just pass my basic drone test. I can fly now my big boy mavic air. Thanks a lot.
2019-8-16
Use props
fans37bfb466
New

Canada

My Family will not be voting liberal or Trudeau ever again after this BS
2019-8-18
Use props
fans37bfb466
New

Canada

As if this is going to make things safer. Same BS as boat licensing and most people after taking the test don’t know jack sh&$ about the laws or regulations. Hopefully lawyers can sue the government as I will if anything happens and it involves a licensed drone operator you better have big insurance coverage.
2019-8-18
Use props
fans37bfb466
New

Canada

I’ll be happy to provide my lawyer with a copy of your government issued drone licence qualifications so they will be included in the court docket
2019-8-18
Use props
fans37bfb466
New

Canada

I’ll be happy to provide my lawyer with a copy of your government issued drone licence qualifications so they will be included in the court docket
2019-8-18
Use props
pixelboy
New

Canada

The test is not trivial. I thought it would be quite simple and related to drone flying exclusively. It is not. Most of the questions refer to obscure rules and bureucratic minutiae. You are however given plenty of time to google the answers( though some answers are frankly ungooglible). This test seems more like an idiot filter than a real test of drone flying knowledge.  

I first did the test with no research I failed at 60% (you need 65%) the second time I got 80% using google.

That being said here are some tips:
- It always nautical miles
- Its always feet above ground not sea level
- You have to be 14 or older to fly
- You always need to see the drone (VLOS) without special permission
- Keep 5 miles away from thunderstorms
-  Fly below 122 meters (400 feet) in the air
- Fly away from bystanders, at a minimum distance of 30 meters for basic operations
-  Do not fly at the site of emergency operations or advertised events
-  Avoid forest fires, outdoor concerts, and parades
-  Do not fly within 5.6 kilometres (3 nautical miles) from airports or 1.9 kilometres (1 nautical mile) from heliports
-  Fly far away from other aircraft
-  Do not fly anywhere near airplanes, helicopters, and other drones
-  Always respect the privacy of others while flying
-

2019-8-21
Use props
pixelboy
New

Canada

Nicoricosancho Posted at 3-17 12:16
illegal to do so my friend. the exam is quite easy to pass with the tips i gave in thread 1

The questions are different every time
2019-8-21
Use props
Nicoricosancho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13196 ft
Canada

pixelboy Posted at 8-21 11:56
The questions are different every time

Keep on trying you will succeed and when you do you ll be proud !!
2019-8-21
Use props
Nicoricosancho
Second Officer
Canada

pixelboy Posted at 8-21 11:55
The test is not trivial. I thought it would be quite simple and related to drone flying exclusively. It is not. Most of the questions refer to obscure rules and bureucratic minutiae. You are however given plenty of time to google the answers( though some answers are frankly ungooglible). This test seems more like an idiot filter than a real test of drone flying knowledge.  

I first did the test with no research I failed at 60% (you need 65%) the second time I got 80% using google.

Good tips here !
2019-8-21
Use props
filgerm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 342684 ft
Canada

marcovth Posted at 3-9 03:36
Sold my Spark. I ordered a Micro drone 4.0 ... 125 grams. DJI take notice.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/micro-drone-4-0-small-intelligent-autonomous/x/15704243#/

You should have kept your Spark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqFif1mWhOw
cheers!
2019-8-21
Use props
filgerm
lvl.2
Canada

marcovth Posted at 3-9 03:36
Sold my Spark. I ordered a Micro drone 4.0 ... 125 grams. DJI take notice.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/micro-drone-4-0-small-intelligent-autonomous/x/15704243#/

Ouch - too bad!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqFif1mWhOw&t=56s
Good luck!

2019-8-21
Use props
filgerm
lvl.2
Canada

Thanks so much for your help - took the exam this morning and got 85% .  So excited that I'm charging my Mavic Air batteries now and later flying above the mountains.....oops not more than 400ft.!!
2019-8-22
Use props
filgerm
lvl.2
Canada

filgerm@gmail.c Posted at 8-22 09:14
Thanks so much for your help - took the exam this morning and got 85% .  So excited that I'm charging my Mavic Air batteries now and later flying above the mountains.....oops not more than 400ft.!!

The thanks were for Don Joyce, Nicoricosancho, and jwt-873!
Now enjoying the rest of the summer and looking forward to another school year!

Cheers from Surrey, BC!
2019-8-22
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

Nicoricosancho Posted at 1-14 17:23
Actually not sure if any of these rules apply to foreigners! I'll get back to you on this one! How does it work in the states for me for example? Do I need to register to FAA?

As far as I understand, they apply to everyone - Canadians and foreigners alike.
2019-8-22
Use props
Nicoricosancho
Second Officer
Canada

filgerm@gmail.c Posted at 8-22 09:32
The thanks were for Don Joyce, Nicoricosancho, and jwt-873!
Now enjoying the rest of the summer and looking forward to another school year!

Glad I could help you my friend don't forget to immatriculate it and carry your papers with ya !! Enjoy summer ! Love BC by the way it's beautiful.
2019-8-22
Use props
Nicoricosancho
Second Officer
Canada

djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S Posted at 8-22 10:49
As far as I understand, they apply to everyone - Canadians and foreigners alike.

Yes but foreigners cannot take the Canadian test ... It's kind of not well organized for them.. sucks.
2019-8-22
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Israel

Nicoricosancho Posted at 8-22 18:16
Yes but foreigners cannot take the Canadian test ... It's kind of not well organized for them.. sucks.

Why not? I went over the material required. Why can't foreigners study it?
2019-8-23
Use props
Nicoricosancho
Second Officer
Canada

djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S Posted at 8-23 02:09
Why not? I went over the material required. Why can't foreigners study it?

I believe this test is only for Canadian residents, let me know if I'm wrong. Maybe sending an email to the transport canada office would be your best bet. But let me know !
2019-8-23
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Israel

Nicoricosancho Posted at 8-23 08:12
I believe this test is only for Canadian residents, let me know if I'm wrong. Maybe sending an email to the transport canada office would be your best bet. But let me know !

The alternatives are:
- Canadians would have to take a test to fly a drone, while foreigners would be able to fly freely without one.
- Foreigners wouldn't be allowed to fly a drone at all.

Both these alternatives don't make any sense.

2019-8-23
Use props
Nicoricosancho
Second Officer
Canada

djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S Posted at 8-23 23:35
The alternatives are:
- Canadians would have to take a test to fly a drone, while foreigners would be able to fly freely without one.
- Foreigners wouldn't be allowed to fly a drone at all.

Like I said I have no idea.. sorry man contact transport Canada for info
2019-8-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the info!
2019-9-2
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great thread - thanks for sharing
2019-9-2
Use props
Nicoricosancho
Second Officer

Montfrooij Posted at 9-2 06:09
Thanks for the info!

Welcome hope that helps !!
2019-9-7
Use props
Nicoricosancho
Second Officer

A J Posted at 9-2 06:11
Great thread - thanks for sharing

Good stuff !
2019-9-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>

You're welcome
2019-9-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

Nicoricosancho Posted at 9-7 16:35
Welcome hope that helps !!

My pleasure!
2019-9-8
Use props
callant
New

Canada

为什么我不能发链接呢?
2019-10-23
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

thanks for sharing
2019-10-23
Use props
GPjoe
New
Flight distance : 2789 ft

Canada

unfortunately to pay this fee online you need to deal with either royal bank, TD or use a credit card and i deal with two banks other than the ones they allow. i dont use credit cards because i think they are just basically legal loan sharking so since the site wont let me use the banks i deal with, how else can i pay for this course.  
2019-10-29
Use props
GPjoe
New
Flight distance : 2789 ft

Canada

will i have to go to one of the banks that this ogov agency deal with and have to open a bank account in order to pay a damn 10 dollar fee to this farce?
2019-10-29
Use props
djiuser_AaylI6MB5MpS
New

Canada

Flyingcougar Posted at 1-15 08:35
I was planning a trip the Vancouver Island this summer and researching this topic also. Reading about the Special Flight Operations Certificate isn't very promising.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services ... -outside-rules.html

That is regarding registering the drone. so if you register your drone on a friend's name who is a Canadian citizen you can still fly the drone if you have the licence. These requirements are for registration and not for the licence.
2019-11-16
Use props
djiuser_I4nzPbedY0YT
lvl.1

Canada

Just passed the exam today.  Followed your advice and that was it. Some questions were just common sense
2019-12-8
Use props
E92Vancouver
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39918 ft
Canada

Just took the exam and passed first try. Material was interesting. Now that I have my license I am glad people have to take an exam. Only $10. Not a real barrier to entry. Also registered my drone for $5. I think I am going to take the advanced exam now. Has any one take it?
2019-12-9
Use props
bonmot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 382815 ft
Canada

Yeah! Just finished my test. Basic Operation. 80%. 55 minutes.
2019-12-16
Use props
gerrbear
New

Canada

jwt-873 Posted at 2-28 14:42
You can't really study for the test. The questions come from over 1000 pages of material.    The video in post #22 above explains where to look and how the exam is organized.    What I did was open a browser on the exam page..  Then I opened four more browser tabs with each tab containing one of the links below.   

From there it was just a matter of going to the correct tab and using the browser (Control F) search function to find the answer.   You might want one more tab open to the general Google search page in order to look up the few questions that have absolutely nothing to do with flying a drone.

Thanks for all of the information, very informative. The bottom 2 links do not open. Do you have updated links for those?

Thanks,
Gerry
2019-12-16
Use props
bonmot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 382815 ft
Canada

gerrbear Posted at 12-16 23:43
Thanks for all of the information, very informative. The bottom 2 links do not open. Do you have updated links for those?

Thanks,

Google is the only thing you will need. I got 80% by Googling in less than 1 hour. Zero preparation.
2019-12-17
Use props
Rman2020
lvl.1

Canada

Hi Nicoricosancho, my first time flying to Puerto Vallarta Mexico with my Mavic Mini any idea if there will be an issue with it since this is under 250gms?
2020-2-3
Use props
djiuser_vDhyGfmfG65U
lvl.1

Canada

Passed on first try, thanks everyone for links and tips.  Be safe!
2020-3-20
Use props
Dave Herz
New

Canada

Thanks for the tips.  Wasn't sure what to expect, but being a former private pilot found most of the questions fairly straight forward (finished at 94%).  Ground school programs offered online may be beneficial for some without aviation background.  But, even without, it'll help novices (like myself) know the flight rules in Canada.  

I'm all for the licence, much like a boaters licence.  If nothing else, it at least forces folks to understand some basic regulations.

Not for my MP2Z to arrive!!!
2020-4-13
Use props
Mavic Pro3
lvl.1
Canada

I just wrote the exam and I felt that by reading the gazette and googling was enough to pass. I read the gazette for 30 minutes and tried and passed the exam. I think that reading anything else would be a waste of time. Good luck all!!
2020-4-29
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules