Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
low altitude warning or restriction
2087 11 2019-1-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
YeagerMonster
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1835459 ft
New Zealand

Hello

I have a Mavic 2 Zoom and thinking about a Mavic 2 Pro later this year.
Could there could there a future enhancement to include a low altitude warming or and a restriction (like set max flight altitude).

I’ve flown backwards while filming a friend riding his jet ski. I’ve flown at a altitude at 5m. While focused on his direction (he’s travelling around 60km/hr) and framing I was surprised later that may altitude had dropped lower that 5m.
It’s not a fault with the product but my left stick control while pivoting (accidentally dropping height). I’ve viewed some warnings about the mavic’s senses over water but I was hoping by using gps a height relative to take off height a ‘set low flight altitude’ could be introduced.
Obviously when landing this needs to be overridden. Maybe a prompt to confirm you wish to land is required. If not confirmed the ‘set low flight altitude’ continues.
Not sure how this would work if you use a controller only? Maybe only supported with the application?
RTH would naturally override this setting regardless of controller or application used.

Thanks for any comments or consideration from DJI.
Ps I’m still practicing my stick control and used an extended stick height for greater control.

2019-1-13
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

I know from using regular gps units, height values are not as accurate as lat/long values.  They can be off by quite a bit.  So trying to track accurately above ground or water level might be problematic.  
2019-1-14
Use props
Nazar78
Captain
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

Flying manually at that speed without the aid of intelligent flight modes like active track, the AC will very likely to drop some altitude due to the body roll angle causing it to lose lower thrust. GPS in terms of height is also not 100% accurate hence the AC will have difficulties adjusting its height while still accepting roll/pitch direction stick inputs. Those who had flown RC heli before would have known the need to manually compensate this with a bit of throttle up stick to maintain altitude especially at that speed.
2019-1-14
Use props
WRHershey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 116043 ft
  • >>>
United States

You might try enabling APAS, if you haven't already. I've noticed that moving forward my drone will pull up as the ground changes.
2019-1-14
Use props
YeagerMonster
lvl.1
New Zealand

ff22 Posted at 1-14 07:47
I know from using regular gps units, height values are not as accurate as lat/long values.  They can be off by quite a bit.  So trying to track accurately above ground or water level might be problematic.

Hi
Thanks for the comment and advice. Travelling in sport mode to keep up with the jet ski, I don't have time to check my altitude. I'm focused on my shot and predicting which way he is going to turn.
I agree with your comments.
Thanks
2019-1-15
Use props
YeagerMonster
lvl.1
New Zealand

Nazar78 Posted at 1-14 11:24
Flying manually at that speed without the aid of intelligent flight modes like active track, the AC will very likely to drop some altitude due to the body roll angle causing it to lose lower thrust. GPS in terms of height is also not 100% accurate hence the AC will have difficulties adjusting its height while still accepting roll/pitch direction stick inputs. Those who had flown RC heli before would have known the need to manually compensate this with a bit of throttle up stick to maintain altitude especially at that speed.

The last time I tried this seriously was with my old Mavic Pro. Active track couldn't be used, the target was way too quick.
I have used my Mavic Zoom recently and I now can stay at a safer altitude (more margin of error) and use the 2 x zoom to appear that I was closer. (I don't like using digital zoom). However with my suggestion I would be more comfortable at a lower altitude.
I appreciate your flying knowledge and need for compensation. Maybe I'm not too bad?
Thanks

2019-1-15
Use props
YeagerMonster
lvl.1
New Zealand

WRHershey Posted at 1-14 14:16
You might try enabling APAS, if you haven't already. I've noticed that moving forward my drone will pull up as the ground changes.

Hi

Sorry my example was with my older Mavic Pro, however I still would like my suggestion with the Mavic 2 Pro & Zoom & others?
I think the Pro only had limited sensors (front and bottom). I crashed once while practising flying backwards in sports mode. Ended up in a tree (1.5m), lucky no damage as I was going backwards. Lesson learnt, don't practise at dusk (hard to see) and at speed the aircraft needs time and space for the turns/braking etc.
PS: My friend that we do projects or to gain experience, sold his Mavic Air to his son so he could purchase the Mavic 2 Pro. Well his son lost it in the ocean with his first outing. Maybe a low altitude warning could of helped? Travelling downwards at speed I assume the aircraft has time to pull up to avoid the set altitude. It was very interesting to receive comments from others and they all have foundations, so maybe my suggestion for a low altitude (>2m) is impractical.
Thanks  

2019-1-15
Use props
Nazar78
Captain
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

YeagerMonster Posted at 1-15 04:08
The last time I tried this seriously was with my old Mavic Pro. Active track couldn't be used, the target was way too quick.
I have used my Mavic Zoom recently and I now can stay at a safer altitude (more margin of error) and use the 2 x zoom to appear that I was closer. (I don't like using digital zoom). However with my suggestion I would be more comfortable at a lower altitude.
I appreciate your flying knowledge and need for compensation. Maybe I'm not too bad?
Yes I can't active track with my MP1 at that speed either, but with the M2 it is amazing. I managed to active track my car at 70km panning sides and even passing under a overhead bridge at that speed.

Actually for your suggestion it does indeed work currently at lower altitude as it's using the bottom sensors, think at 5m and below, above it will use GPS. But again at that speed the sensors will get tilted to one side due to the body roll and the readings will be off lesser resulting again in the lost or gain of altitude. However on a flat ground you can fly fast very low without worrying the AC kissing the ground.

Finally, I would suggest you to make full use of the upgraded M2 active track while chasing fast moving subjects. This way you can have lesser focus on the subject (let active track do its job) and have more control of the AC's altitude, orientations and flight paths which could turn into an interesting cinematography video shot.
2019-1-15
Use props
YeagerMonster
lvl.1
New Zealand

Nazar78 Posted at 1-15 11:56
Yes I can't active track with my MP1 at that speed either, but with the M2 it is amazing. I managed to active track my car at 70km panning sides and even passing under a overhead bridge at that speed.

Actually for your suggestion it does indeed work currently at lower altitude as it's using the bottom sensors, think at 5m and below, above it will use GPS. But again at that speed the sensors will get tilted to one side due to the body roll and the readings will be off lesser resulting again in the lost or gain of altitude. However on a flat ground you can fly fast very low without worrying the AC kissing the ground.

Many thanks. definitely will try active track probably tomorrow.
Thanks for the advice and comments.
2019-1-15
Use props
djiuser_YyDMf0V8bjrf
Flight distance : 359619 ft
United States

Hi!

I always fly my drones over the bay, since here in Miami Beach, FL, where I live, is a crowded area with many tall buildings.
I already crashed on the water the Mavic Mini and the Mini 2. My mistake is that: While using the left joystick to rotate,  I keep lower the altitude by mistake and forget to check it.  I get very distracted looking at the video images.
Why the drone doesn't have a "Low Terrain warning" or "minimin altitude reached warning" that I could preset to, let's say 10 or 20 meters, so it sends me a warning when it gets below that altitude. Especially over the bay waters where I can't receive it?
Thank you!
2021-6-9
Use props
djiuser_YyDMf0V8bjrf
United States

Hi,Good morning!

I always fly over the bay waters. The only area that is clear of tall buildings where I live. Is there a way to set a " LOW ALTITUDE WARNING" on the Mavic air 2 or any other Mavic drone? I get very distracted and lost altitude moving the left joystick, not trying to lower the altitude but rotating it.

Sometimes I forget to look at the altitude for a long time. A "LOW ALTITUDE or Terrain WARNING" would be life-saving. The idea is to increase altitude if I get below 5 or 10 meters without realizing I did. To prevent getting submerged in the water. I already lost 2 drones on the Bay. I know where they are, but I can't retrieve them.

I can't believe there are so many warnings except a low-altitude one. All commercial airplanes have several "LOW TERRAIN WARNINGS" at different altitudes.
Could you please; contact DJI engineers and bring the idea? I am still a novice, and I am even learning to speak English. I dont know how to do it by myself.
The warning will bring more safety and joy to the flying experience and would be a very substantial safety improvement for everybody.

Sincerely, Lesmex F

2021-6-9
Use props
djiuser_YyDMf0V8bjrf
United States

Hi, Good morning!
I always fly over the bay waters. The only area that is clear of tall buildings where I live. Is there a way to set a " LOW ALTITUDE WARNING" on the Mavic air 2 or any other Mavic drone? I get very distracted and lost altitude moving the left joystick, not trying to lower the altitude but rotating it. Sometimes I forget to look at the altitude for a long time.

A "LOW ALTITUDE or LOW Terrain WARNING" would be life-saving.

The idea is to increase altitude if one gets below 5 or 10 meters without realizing it. To prevent getting submerged in the water or just crashing on land. I already lost 2 drones on the Bay. I know where they are, but I can't retrieve them. I can't believe there are so many warnings except a low-altitude.

All commercial airplanes have several "LOW TERRAIN WARNINGS" at different altitudes (pull up! pull up!).

We all need to contact DJI engineers and bring the idea. The more users send an email about the issue, the faster they will implement the new feature.
The low terrain warning feature would be a very substantial safety improvement for all drones.

Sincerely, Lesmex F
2021-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules