Mavic Air vs Spark! What would you choose?
1548 23 2019-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Benji
lvl.2
Australia

Hello all,

What’s everyone’s opinion on mavic airs vs sparks?!?
Has anyone got both and what can you tell me about the differences? Pros and cons for both?

Which drone is better value for the money you spend on each? Which drone is more compact and easier?

Would you rather get a spark fly more combo or a mavic air by itself for the same price?

Thanks in advance
2019-1-14
Use props
djiuser_x51Xu9iMtX1y
lvl.4
Latvia

I would strongly reccomend the AIR as the video quality is much better (4k vs FHD) and the gimbal is 3 axis on the Air.
2019-1-14
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

I've got the MA but had the spark, it's an easy choice MA

Video quality is measurably better
Range is much  much better
Flight time is usable
Image quality is improved through RAW support but JPEG there is not much in it
Portability the MA whilst being slightly bigger is easier to carry as it folds down, the spark is an awkward shape and the fixed arms mean most cases are inefficient designs
2019-1-14
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

The Mavic Air is the “Spark 2” in a sense

Fly safely
Alex
2019-1-14
Use props
DJI Benji
lvl.2
Australia

Alex B. Posted at 1-14 05:48
The Mavic Air is the “Spark 2” in a sense

Fly safely

Great point
2019-1-14
Use props
DJI Benji
lvl.2
Australia

Ridg Posted at 1-14 05:41
I've got the MA but had the spark, it's an easy choice MA

Video quality is measurably better

Seems like a clear winner
2019-1-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day DJI Benji. Thank you for raising this inquiry. I will be providing you a link where you can compare the features of the DJI Mavic Air with the DJI Spark. You may also use this link to compare other consumer drones of DJI. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav

2019-1-14
Use props
Kevin79
Second Officer
Flight distance : 270899 ft
United States

I purchase the Spark in December of 2017. Two Months later I purchased the Mavic Air in February of 2018. Poor Sparky has not been flown since. I cannot think of a category where the Spark is the better drone. For me, the Mavic Air is the best drone for what I need it to do. Those things are: be compact and easy to travel with and set up to fly, take great video and photos ( the Mavic Air has a far superior camera as well as a three axis gimbal and high bit rate), must be safe (three directional obstacle avoidance sensors). Along with that the Mavic Air has a longer battery life than the Spark and it handles a lot better in Sports mode if that appeals to you. It is amazingly nimble and has a very quick response. The Spark on the other hand, felt clumsy and had a long stopping distance despite its reduced speed. In my opinion the Mavic Air is the the 2nd best Drone in the Mavic Series. Below the Mavic 2 and above the Mavic. Go with the Air if you can.
2019-1-14
Use props
kovat53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

Formerly owned a Spark. I went for the MA because of the better video/photo(RAW) quality, more flight time, better flight range, three axis gimbal. Easy to transport. What I dislike is the noise of the props. Anyway I didn't regret my decision.
2019-1-14
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

i have both!  still love my Spark but MA is better.

cheers
JJB
2019-1-14
Use props
Rcplanedude
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117900 ft
United States

My vote is for the MA
2019-1-14
Use props
WLSBLESSED
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50951 ft
United States

I'd go with the Air because it has a better camera and longer flight time. Overall the Air is a better buy.
2019-1-14
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have both and enjoy them both.  The only thing I like better about the MA is the 3 axis gimbal.
2019-1-14
Use props
Hani
First Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Mavic Air is the enhanced Spark, at least to me. I think the MA is more reliable.
2019-1-14
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032569 ft
United States

Here I was thinking about getting a Spark to scratch some drone itch...

I guess I'm just going to have to wait a little longer (fiscal responsibility) and get a Mavic 2.

Pretty sure the M2 is better than the Air, but i sure do love my Air.
2019-1-14
Use props
Squashpile
lvl.4
Flight distance : 214019 ft
United States

Air.. no contest
2019-1-14
Use props
forbsie
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I have both. Spark is still a great little drone, but Air is better and folded has a smaller footprint and way better protective case than Spark i.e. better for travel
2019-1-15
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Air. And for more cash, the Mavic Pro.
2019-1-15
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have both Spark and Air. MA has better picture if you don't mind the noise, while Spark has only 2 axis gimbles but much more discreet. When I fly my Mavic Air, people will know there is a drone around.  
2019-1-15
Use props
Speedbird84
lvl.2
Flight distance : 307762 ft
Belgium

Mavic air! Didn’t doubt about that!
2019-1-16
Use props
Speedbird84
lvl.2
Flight distance : 307762 ft
Belgium

Mavic air! Didn’t doubt about that!
2019-1-16
Use props
djiuser_DiWIjB0ao8K2
New
United States

I have both.  The Mavic Air is clearly a better drone. But for the price the Spark is amazing. I was extremely impressed and I like the smaller size better indoors. I can fly the Air indoors also but it seems a little less appropriate.  
2019-1-17
Use props
Spark in the Park
lvl.3
Flight distance : 725961 ft
Australia

Ive owned both, in all honesty spark is better all round, mavic air has so many issues and bugs, it over heats sending out main controller data errors, the error is with the barometric data due to the heat of the drone interfering with atmospheric readings thus giving the flight computer corrupted data. Then there is the dji assistant not being able install drivers for the controller, there is issues with stability with the ma especially when there is wind, there are issues with decent speed so emergency landings can be very perilous. Ive had my fair share of dramas with every single dji drone ive owned and have all been returned and replaced, the spark is the only one that was consistent every flight. Occasionally i would get a error where it said it was below ground level and be 20 meters up but that was just the gps swapping to vps mode for safety so i found out. Range was a bit hit and miss on the spark, ma is much better in that regard but still not perfect. More bugs all round
2019-1-18
Use props
jyc
First Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

While I have never owned a Mavic Air, the Spark was my first aircraft and after 43 hours of reliable flight it's not going into retirement. I will be using it to practice flight in ATTI mode, if a mishap occurs it will be less costly than with my other aircraft. So it all depends on your plans, both are good options.
2019-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules