Snow fun with a Subaru and a Spark
1281 28 2019-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BrandonW77
lvl.3
United States

We got our first solid snow of the season here in central Indiana over the weekend so I took the opportunity to get out and play with some of my toys. Not 100% drone footage but still thought you all would enjoy.

2019-1-14
Use props
Ram-UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

Very nice footage. Thank you for sharing.
2019-1-14
Use props
JMR58
First Officer
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

SUPER, enjoy!!!
2019-1-14
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

nice!!!!!!
2019-1-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for sharing your awesome video, well done. Fly safely. Cheers!
2019-1-14
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3
United States

That Active Track feature works great, I just sent it up and it watched me while I played in the snow.  Some shots I had it following me around, other shots I just had it sit in one place and pivot.
2019-1-14
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pffftttt, needs more RWD.  
2019-1-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent footage
2019-1-14
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

You should do something with color of snow? When it goes Spark’s shooting it showes wierd yellow tone. Let’s try some colorgrade
2019-1-14
Use props
MccloudSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27562 ft

United States

That's so fun!  I can't believe how well the Spark tracked you.
2019-1-14
Use props
Drameee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

Nice video, safe flying!
2019-1-14
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cool footage
2019-1-14
Use props
Arnie R
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80958 ft
United States

Reminds me of the early 70's with my '69 Beetle. Go to the mall after closing on a snowy nite and tear the Parking Lot up - such fun!
2019-1-14
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2019-1-15
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 1-14 12:11
Pffftttt, needs more RWD.

I'd like to see a RWD get through 7" of fresh snow like that.  

Thanks for the compliments guys, I love my Subaru and I love my Spark!
2019-1-15
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

BrandonW77 Posted at 1-15 04:02
I'd like to see a RWD get through 7" of fresh snow like that.  

Thanks for the compliments guys, I love my Subaru and I love my Spark!

We do RWD in snow all the time.  But we use WinterSports tires or Blizzaks (actual winter tires).  Do the Subaru's run winter tires or just all seasons in the the snow?  A Subaru romping around on winter performance tires in the snow would be fun.

Ice and hills is more our concern.  When it has turned to ice, we pull out the 4x4 truck which is also on Blizzaks.  Using stock rims and the winter tires for the winter and aftermarket fancy rims on all seasons for the summer.  Gives us enough traction to dodge other cars sliding out of control and saves the good rims from winter crud.

Humor is the neighbor kid's sport coup RWD on summer tires in the snow.  It doesn't have any traction below 30 degrees even if the roads are dry.  

Him, "Look, my car has the power to step sideways in third gear."  
Me, "Nope, you just have the wrong tires for the road temperatures."

Sadie snow run 2.gif
2019-1-15
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 1-15 07:14
We do RWD in snow all the time.  But we use WinterSports tires or Blizzaks (actual winter tires).  Do the Subaru's run winter tires or just all seasons in the the snow?  A Subaru romping around on winter performance tires in the snow would be fun.

Ice and hills is more our concern.  When it has turned to ice, we pull out the 4x4 truck which is also on Blizzaks.  Using stock rims and the winter tires for the winter and aftermarket fancy rims on all seasons for the summer.  Gives us enough traction to dodge other cars sliding out of control and saves the good rims from winter crud.

I've had Blizzaks before, a good winter tire is a life-saver in the snow.  My current Subaru has Dunlop Sport summer tires for the warm months (worthless in the snow) and Michelin x-Ice snow tires for the winter.  It has full-time AWD (not that part-time stuff that's FWD 95% of the time) so with the snow tires on there it can literally go through a foot of snow without breaking a sweat.  I love the looks I get from guys in big trucks..."Ha!  What's that dude in the sports car doing out in this snow?  He's going to get stu.......wait a minute, how'd he do that?!? "

2019-1-15
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

2019-1-15
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

BrandonW77 Posted at 1-15 08:43
I've had Blizzaks before, a good winter tire is a life-saver in the snow.  My current Subaru has Dunlop Sport summer tires for the warm months (worthless in the snow) and Michelin x-Ice snow tires for the winter.  It has full-time AWD (not that part-time stuff that's FWD 95% of the time) so with the snow tires on there it can literally go through a foot of snow without breaking a sweat.  I love the looks I get from guys in big trucks..."Ha!  What's that dude in the sports car doing out in this snow?  He's going to get stu.......wait a minute, how'd he do that?!? "

I'll have to check out those x-ice tires.  You understand the tire compounds and why I would have them on a 4x4 truck.  We are getting ready to buy a new set even though the tread is still deep.  I want fresh rubber instead of old hardened rubber so I don't have to worry about the wife busting through country road snow drifts.

My truck has old style 4x4 with the front and back axles locked together (no diff) as long as the lever is in 4 wheel drive.  It can't run on dry pavement locked together.  Your diffs are likely more responsive than my positrac style ones.  Mine are pretty well cared for so they lock up pretty quick when one tire starts to spin.  Without maintenance they quickly turn into one wheel drive.  LOL.

2019-1-15
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 1-15 15:02
I'll have to check out those x-ice tires.  You understand the tire compounds and why I would have them on a 4x4 truck.  We are getting ready to buy a new set even though the tread is still deep.  I want fresh rubber instead of old hardened rubber so I don't have to worry about the wife busting through country road snow drifts.

My truck has old style 4x4 with the front and back axles locked together (no diff) as long as the lever is in 4 wheel drive.  It can't run on dry pavement locked together.  Your diffs are likely more responsive than my positrac style ones.  Mine are pretty well cared for so they lock up pretty quick when one tire starts to spin.  Without maintenance they quickly turn into one wheel drive.  LOL.

Yeah, this is the third winter on my Michelins and even though the tread is still plenty deep I can tell the rubber is getting a little worn out, it squirms in the dry a lot more than it did last year.  I think I'll probably replace them after next winter.  Gonna be due for new summer tires soon too, hoping to go with some Michelin Pilot Sports.

Here's info on the Subaru diffs.  It also has electronic brake and throttle distribution so it can add/remove power or braking to any wheel that needs it.  Also has a form of "torque vectoring" where it will apply just a dab of brake to the inner wheel in a fast turn to help it pull around tighter.

"Viscous Center Differential (VCD)
The simplest system of the bunch, but simple doesn't mean it's lacking in performance. This VCD system is used on all manual transmission models, like the Crosstrek, Impreza, and Forester. The torque is split 50/50 between the front and rear wheels and includes an open front and rear differential. If one wheel loses traction, the viscous coupling sends power to the wheels with more traction, allowing for greater grip and control."

It works pretty great in the white stuff, as evidenced by this compilation video of WRXs pulling big vehicles like delivery trucks, ambulances, Jeeps, Evos, and even big rigs out of the snow.  

2019-1-16
Use props
Outlier22
lvl.3
Flight distance : 328474 ft
United States

nice!  ...miss my WRX
2019-1-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice work!
2019-1-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Oracle Miata Posted at 1-15 09:23
https://youtu.be/arCEVzJ5_fM

Cool video!
2019-1-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

BrandonW77 Posted at 1-16 04:34
Yeah, this is the third winter on my Michelins and even though the tread is still plenty deep I can tell the rubber is getting a little worn out, it squirms in the dry a lot more than it did last year.  I think I'll probably replace them after next winter.  Gonna be due for new summer tires soon too, hoping to go with some Michelin Pilot Sports.

Here's info on the Subaru diffs.  It also has electronic brake and throttle distribution so it can add/remove power or braking to any wheel that needs it.  Also has a form of "torque vectoring" where it will apply just a dab of brake to the inner wheel in a fast turn to help it pull around tighter.

Wow, very cool too!
2019-1-18
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great video! Nicely done!
2019-1-19
Use props
redman042
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54068 ft
United States

I enjoyed that one! I really need to try out the tracking on my spark.
2019-1-19
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 1-15 09:23
https://youtu.be/arCEVzJ5_fM

Nice one! Love that car.

Thanks for the nice comments guys.
2019-1-21
Use props
Gator Don