DJI Data Backup
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Renna
lvl.2
Flight distance : 307395 ft
United States

Ok, we all I am sure by now heard of DJI supposedly backing up the data of the DJI drones sold. We also know they came out with a firmware update that would able you to opt out of this download. My question and hopefully the answer would come from someone who has the ability to back it up with references  is what DJI drones had this update made available. Was it an across the board firmware update or where some of the older models (Phantom 3) excluded from this update?
I truly appreciate your help.
2019-1-14
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Are you talking about the time the US military ordered the halt of all DJI products?  This happened a couple of years ago, if memory serves me correctly.      
2019-1-14
Use props
Renna
lvl.2
United States

Yes exactly. The problem is we currently only have phantom 3 drones in our fire department and want to use them for training and of course they are worried about this.
2019-1-14
Use props
NM_Quad
lvl.4
United States

Renna Posted at 1-14 13:18
Yes exactly. The problem is we currently only have phantom 3 drones in our fire department and want to use them for training and of course they are worried about this.

Renna ... odd you mentioned your purpose.  I have used my drone to video training sessions at our local state Fire Training Academy to evaluate the sessions.  The Fire Academy is not far from our local small town airport.  To say they get one aircraft a day would be a push.  A friend of mine is an instructor at the Academy.  They bought a P4P for this purpose, but it doesn't work due to the airport geofencing.  I offered to try my P3S, which worked just fine.  I flew towards the airport and didn't get an alert until I was within about a quarter-mile of the airstrip; the P4P is locked out over a mile away.  I bought my P3S new shortly after they first came out, still works great, and I have NEVER applied a software or firmware update. If it ain't broke - don't fix it IMHO. I just don't see what the updates do except to expand the geofencing distance around airports and the like.  So my suggestion is to keep your P3S as it is, without any further updates, to prevent adding more restrictive no fly zones ... they may be facilities where you might be responding for a call or training and wish to use the drone for official purposes.  Where to fly and not fly should be the pilots responsibility, not a hardware lockout in my opinion.
2019-1-14
Use props
Renna
lvl.2
United States

NM_Quad Posted at 1-14 14:35
Renna ... odd you mentioned your purpose.  I have used my drone to video training sessions at our local state Fire Training Academy to evaluate the sessions.  The Fire Academy is not far from our local small town airport.  To say they get one aircraft a day would be a push.  A friend of mine is an instructor at the Academy.  They bought a P4P for this purpose, but it doesn't work due to the airport geofencing.  I offered to try my P3S, which worked just fine.  I flew towards the airport and didn't get an alert until I was within about a quarter-mile of the airstrip; the P4P is locked out over a mile away.  I bought my P3S new shortly after they first came out, still works great, and I have NEVER applied a software or firmware update. If it ain't broke - don't fix it IMHO. I just don't see what the updates do except to expand the geofencing distance around airports and the like.  So my suggestion is to keep your P3S as it is, without any further updates, to prevent adding more restrictive no fly zones ... they may be facilities where you might be responding for a call or training and wish to use the drone for official purposes.  Where to fly and not fly should be the pilots responsibility, not a hardware lockout in my opinion.

Honestly all the college should have to do is go through the process to acknowledge the airport and accept the responsibility to fly in that airspace. Which can be accomplished through the airport control and FAA.
The other thing that they might want to keep in mind is if they are flying the drone for the fire academy they need to have at least a part 107 pilot. Even though it is used to film the students, it can still get them in trouble with the FAA for flying with a commercial pilot. After all the students paid to be there, the instructors are being paid, they can say it is for financial gain.... Just a heads up.

We want to use them for training our pilots, not necessary to film our people.
Thanks again..
2019-1-16
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Your post is a little confused but it sounds like you are asking about the ability to fly in a Privacy Mode, which DJI launched for customers with sensitive data issues.
That does not apply to the Phantom series drones and is for DJI's Enterprise (commercial) drones which fly with the DJI Pilot app.
https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... ernet-data-transfer

But it's really hard to imagine what concern you would have for Fire Department training purposes.
DJI don't get to see your flight data unless you choose to upload (synch) to their servers.
And there's nothing in the flight data that should be of concern anyway.
2019-1-16
Use props
Renna
lvl.2
United States

Thank you. That is exactly what I needed.
We are not planning to use them to film our employees but as a tool to help with certain calls.
2019-1-16
Use props
NM_Quad
lvl.4
United States

Renna Posted at 1-16 18:20
Thank you. That is exactly what I needed.
We are not planning to use them to film our employees but as a tool to help with certain calls.

You're not supposed to fly or photograph over private property without owner's permission.  Since you're flying over YOUR private property, I don't see a problem.  Doesn't seem you'd need the 107 for what you want to do - primarily training.  I know the students at our local fire academy sign a waiver form in event of injury or something.  If you have the same, perhaps just a statement that some training exercises may be photographed or videotaped by ground or aerial means for implied consent.
2019-1-17
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

NM_Quad Posted at 1-17 12:58
You're not supposed to fly or photograph over private property without owner's permission.  Since you're flying over YOUR private property, I don't see a problem.  Doesn't seem you'd need the 107 for what you want to do - primarily training.  I know the students at our local fire academy sign a waiver form in event of injury or something.  If you have the same, perhaps just a statement that some training exercises may be photographed or videotaped by ground or aerial means for implied consent.

'You're not supposed to fly or photograph over private property without owner's permission.'

Please show me where that 'regulation' is promulgated?
2019-1-17
Use props
NM_Quad
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 1-17 13:32
'You're not supposed to fly or photograph over private property without owner's permission.'

Please show me where that 'regulation' is promulgated?

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/
Respect privacy

2019-1-18
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

NM_Quad Posted at 1-18 10:30
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/
Respect privacy

It says nothing about 'fly or photograph over private property without owner's permission'
2019-1-18
Use props
Renna
lvl.2
United States

Regardless of private property or not. The only thing is the airspace. Once you are off the ground you go by FAA regulations. Now creeping at your neighbors will cause other problems, but they have no say over the airspace.
What I meant is, you taking videos or photographs of the students and using it as advertising, training or anything that can be done for financial gain is commercial and you need a107 pilot.
Just like if I sold real estate and I used my drone to take pictures to help sell the homes. That would be for financial gain and need to be done by a 107 pilot.
You guys do what you want. You probably never get any trouble. But if someone reports it you or the school could be facing fines from the FAA.
2019-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules