Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OSMO Pocket USB-C to 3.5mm Mic Adapter Tests
25953 30 2019-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dcrainmaker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 477310 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hey Folks-

I figured I'd share some of my testing with the almost-available DJI branded OSMO Pocket USB-C to 3.5mm mic adapter. This allows you to take standard mics and plug them into the bottom of the OSMO Pocket. It's also (unfortunately) the only USB-C adapter that seems to work with the unit. Like others I've tried the GoPro and Apple variants, but neither work. I've also seen videos from others trying generic ones, but they don't work either.

In any case, I dive into all that in this video, demonstrating how it works, as well as some tests on the convention show floor and out cycling to show the differences in wind/sound pickup. Enjoy!

2019-1-14
Use props
miamitv
lvl.2
United States

Great video-thanks! When you are riding the bike and comparing with and without adapters, are you talking about the TRRS to TRS adapter OR the dji mic adapter OR do you have an old gopro usb c-3.5 mm mic adapter??? I think you refer to it as a "GoPro" adapter, so I am not sure what the GoPro adapter is that you are referring to!
2019-1-14
Use props
dcrainmaker
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

When I'm on the bike, I'm physically removing the entire USB-C adapter (which connects to my bike).  But definitely talking about the DJI adapter.

As for the GoPro bits, I was referring to the GoPro adapter/mount that holds the OSMO Pocket (it's a DJI accessory). It uses the GoPro mount. Sorry, too many adapters for this product!
2019-1-14
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.4
United States

Excellent work!
2019-1-14
Use props
NoëI
Second Officer

Netherlands

So I guess the mic is enabled in the firmware. Or. Are you running a beta firmware?
2019-1-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Thanks for this, great video I take it with the Bluetooth module we will be able to plug into USBC on the back.
2019-1-14
Use props
hkphoto.com
lvl.3

Hong Kong

when, how much?
2019-1-14
Use props
dcrainmaker
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

NoëI Posted at 1-14 12:12
So I guess the mic is enabled in the firmware. Or. Are you running a beta firmware?

Standard production firmware, nothing beta.
2019-1-14
Use props
dcrainmaker
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

The only two questions nobody knows unfortunately (even DJI). As discussed in the video, typically when we see media samples like this, DJI tends to be about 2-3 weeks out from shipments. Not a hard-fast rule, but a good watermark.
2019-1-14
Use props
j.r.r.
Second Officer
Canada

Great vblog, thank you. BTW, you have a new subscriber and one more like on the video
2019-1-14
Use props
dcrainmaker
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

j.r.r. Posted at 1-14 13:58
Great vblog, thank you. BTW, you have a new subscriber and one more like on the video

Thanks, I appreciate it!!!
2019-1-14
Use props
NoëI
Second Officer

Netherlands

Are you any good in electronics? Do you have a multimeter ??? If so. Please do some testing on the plug :-)
2019-1-14
Use props
markr041
lvl.4
United States

Does the mic adapter supply plug-in power? It appears so, since your lav mic has no battery. Is the extrenal mic input stereo?
2019-1-14
Use props
dcrainmaker
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

markr041 Posted at 1-14 17:22
Does the mic adapter supply plug-in power? It appears so, since your lav mic has no battery. Is the extrenal mic input stereo?

It does supply power for my lav mic. Not sure about other mics.

It appears to support stereo, in looking at the files in FCP, I see both channels populated from the raw files off the OSMO Pocket.
2019-1-15
Use props
dcrainmaker
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

NoëI Posted at 1-14 14:05
Are you any good in electronics? Do you have a multimeter ??? If so. Please do some testing on the plug :-)

Yeah, that's probably a bit out of my realm. Sorry!
2019-1-15
Use props
markr041
lvl.4
United States

dcrainmaker Posted at 1-15 02:17
It does supply power for my lav mic. Not sure about other mics.

It appears to support stereo, in looking at the files in FCP, I see both channels populated from the raw files off the OSMO Pocket.

The existence of two channels is not an indication of stereo. Both channels may be identical (as they certainly are if the mic is mono). The Yi 4K+ usb-C 3.5mm adapter, for example, is mono only (and provides two channels). So it is not obvious the Osmo Pocket external adapter will support stereo if the mics are stereo. Stereo mics and stereo audio are useful for capturing ambient sounds, which for videography whose purpose is to convey a place, rather than to Vlog, is important.
2019-1-15
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great video! Thanks for sharing!
2019-1-16
Use props
dcrainmaker
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

markr041 Posted at 1-15 12:18
The existence of two channels is not an indication of stereo. Both channels may be identical (as they certainly are if the mic is mono). The Yi 4K+ usb-C 3.5mm adapter, for example, is mono only (and provides two channels). So it is not obvious the Osmo Pocket external adapter will support stereo if the mics are stereo. Stereo mics and stereo audio are useful for capturing ambient sounds, which for videography whose purpose is to convey a place, rather than to Vlog, is important.

So in doing a bit of testing tonight with the Saramonic SmartRig+, I placed a single mic on #1 channel (with it set for stereo output), and then tapped that mic while recording into the Pocket. Then, while still recording I swapped the mic into the other channel (#2) and did the same. When I view the audio files in FCP and expand the audio components out, both channels appear identical. Thus, combining the two channels by the looks of it. Again, perhaps I've hosed something up, but seemed pretty straight forward.

I'll do some more testing and hit up the DJI folks.
2019-1-16
Use props
Igal Stulbach
lvl.3

Israel

If the adapter dont have usb-c port it will prevent charging while using ext. mic. Hopefully there will be one with both mic and charging inputs
2019-1-16
Use props
dcrainmaker
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Igal Stulbach Posted at 1-16 16:28
If the adapter dont have usb-c port it will prevent charging while using ext. mic. Hopefully there will be one with both mic and charging inputs

The adapter only has single port, and there's no indication they'd make a dual-port variant.  To be fair, the OSMO Pocket lasts an incredibly long time battery-wise, so I'm not really sure a forever-powered setup makes a ton of sense.

I suppose one could probably try a USB-C splitter, but to my knowledge no such device exists and actually works (on any platform). We saw GoPro's wonly adapter include pass-through charging, but that's exactly why it was so huge and useless - all that extra bulk.
2019-1-17
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Nice video, thanks for sharing.
2019-1-18
Use props
Carlmcg
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks for post this, I'm sat here waiting for this adapter, googling every day. We do on the go interviews, currently there's a massive audio problem that hopefully this will completely resolve!
2019-1-21
Use props
realhorrorshow
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Can't believe as a listed feature at launch (and still now on the product page) external mic support is not a reality.  I feel a bit duped to have purchased based on facts which aren't actually true...
2019-1-29
Use props
Leptic
lvl.1
Germany

thanks for sharing... but it makes me much more impatient...
Can hardly wait to get all the accessories DJI is already promoting on the product page but which arent available in the shop...
Recieved today a email from DJI support. it says: "We regret to inform you that all release dates for the OSMO Pocket accessory are not yet known." :`(

2019-1-29
Use props
Judgenot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32267 ft
Canada

Does anyone has any idea of the release date and availability of this?
DJI?
Anyone?
2019-2-7
Use props
Skyjacker1
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Judgenot Posted at 2-7 06:59
Does anyone has any idea of the release date and availability of this?
DJI?
Anyone?

I’m doubting they are going to release it at all! Which enfuriates me as I needed to use a lavaleer with this for COHERENT NARRATION due to an ultra sub standard internal mic, I’m selling it at months end and dji will be on my ... list for not supporting its products properly, I’ve been a big supporter of dji, but I’m not giving them my money again as their product support absolutely sucks!
2019-2-10
Use props
djiuser_vVwGkZODmBt4
lvl.1

Romania

Hello! Does anyone know when the adapter is officially launched? or where can I buy it? thank you!
2019-2-11
Use props
GravityKnight
lvl.1
United States

Any updates to this? I will probably sell this Osmo as I have a gimbal for my xs max and a gimbal for my fuji x-t20. I bought this more for a specific purpose, it mounts behind the seats in my plane and shows the cockpit and outside. It has to be something small and light to fit in this spot and capture the right angle. I was using a sony action cam for this as it has a mic input from my headsets..... I need to be able to pipe in a feed from my headsets - the cockpit noise is extremely high and you can't hear me whatsoever without having the feed directly from my headset. Having the gimbal shot (where it remains level) inside like that is way cooler looking than the action cam, plus having 4k60 is really great.... but without a mic input it's useless. Why did they literally build one(some) of these adapters and send out for testing/review then never release??

Or has anyone actually built an aftermarket adapter that works?

-TGravityKnightFlying
2019-3-8
Use props
dcrainmaker
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yup - it was listed on the DJI store two days ago - $39, though says shipping still 3-4 weeks away.
2019-3-9
Use props
TheCameraGuy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

I think it has been pulled down. I’m guessing all the YouTube and complaints here has killed it.
2019-3-15
Use props
Art-A
Second Officer
Ukraine

Two internal OsmoPocket microphones operate in noise cancellation mode and at the end mono sound is obtained. This principle works in smartphones and webcams. For example, the Logitech BRIO has two microphones, but the sound produces in mono mode along with noise suppression.
2019-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules