P4P Writing corrupt files
843 9 2019-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JeffreyS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71936 ft
United States

After a month of ownership, my P4P started writing a whole lot of corrupt DNG and MOV files to the card. I can't view them at all, but the file sized looks normal so I believe the data is in there. All I see is the DNG or MOV large icon when I try to open or preview them. No app will open them. Is there a recovery utility that will save these valuable files? Thanks.
2019-1-14
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

What operating system is on the computer you are using?
2019-1-14
Use props
JeffreyS
lvl.3
United States

Mac.OS.  Tried two different machines. Same result. Other DNG and MOV files on the card are fine.  Has happened twice.  Once the problem kicked in, all the rest of the pics and vids made were corrupt.
2019-1-14
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

JeffreyS Posted at 1-14 13:49
Mac.OS.  Tried two different machines. Same result. Other DNG and MOV files on the card are fine.  Has happened twice.  Once the problem kicked in, all the rest of the pics and vids made were corrupt.

Apple machines often have trouble with DJI files. But in any event, it is very important to clean up the card frequently, and the best way to do that is to copy off all the files on the card that youwant, then format the card in the aircraft.
2019-1-14
Use props
JeffreyS
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 1-14 14:10
Apple machines often have trouble with DJI files. But in any event, it is very important to clean up the card frequently, and the best way to do that is to copy off all the files on the card that youwant, then format the card in the aircraft.

Never had a problem with an Apple machine.  I've had a hundred since 1979!

A DNG is a DNG file no matter where you are viewing it.  Same for all file types except those proprietary like exe files for PeeCees.

I did format the second card which was brand new.  Still, it may have been junk.
2019-1-14
Use props
JeffreyS
lvl.3
United States

JeffreyS Posted at 1-14 14:46
Never had a problem with an Apple machine.  I've had a hundred since 1979!

A DNG is a DNG file no matter where you are viewing it.  Same for all file types except those proprietary like exe files for PeeCees.

UPDATE:   I have been led to believe that my two cards are FAKES.  Learning about this from Youtubes convinced me on a number of criteria.  Poor speed, limited capacity and corrupt files.  Now I only care about recovering the files on them.  Recommendations requested.
2019-1-14
Use props
flightlogicRV9
lvl.3
United States

Recommendation:  throw them out.  Purchase name brand replacements somewhere that will stand behind their sales.  B&H Photo comes to mind.
2019-1-15
Use props
JeffreyS
lvl.3
United States

flightlogicRV9 Posted at 1-15 15:32
Recommendation:  throw them out.  Purchase name brand replacements somewhere that will stand behind their sales.  B&H Photo comes to mind.

Already have, thank you.  I tried a couple of file recovery methods to no avail.  
2019-1-15
Use props
jasona0
New

Japan

Hopefully this guide to corrupted SD card recovery (https://www.cisdem.com/resource/corrupted-sd-card-recovery.html) can help.
2019-1-25
Use props
JeffreyS
lvl.3
United States

jasona0 Posted at 1-25 23:52
Hopefully this guide to corrupted SD card recovery (https://www.cisdem.com/resource/corrupted-sd-card-recovery.html) can help.

Thanks Jason, ,but I will not proceed with third party software downloads that say it wants to make changes to my computer and asks for my password. Bull....
2019-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules