To Osmo Pocket or Not, that is the question. Remorse?
1533 6 2019-1-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

I picked up an Osmo Pocket from Best Buy over the weekend and I already have mixed thoughts about this camera.  I love the fact that is tiny and discreet, whereas my Osmo Mobile 2 grabs a lot of attention in public.  

However, as much as I love the form factor of the osmo pocket, I feel it has a lot of shortcomings and I'm undecided if I should keep it or return it before the 15 day return policy.  Even with the new firmware, I have auto focus issues, the slow-motion is not what I expected (low video bitrate and extremely cropped), and face tracking is a hit or miss.  Where is Cine-like D?  Why does it heat up a lot after a minute of use?   Why is 24p only available under Pro settings?  Based on the posts and comments found in this forum, overall I feel that DJI sold me a half baked product where they intend to fix known issues with future firmwares.  Also, I read about the battery is only good for 400 charges?  What happens next?  I intend to always use an external charger.  Does this degrade the battery even more?  And last, the beep is very annoying.  I went to a wedding this weekend and I felt the beep kept interrupting the ceremony and people looked at me like saying "get the hell out of here."  The osmo pocket wasn't discreet at all.   I don't want this post to sound like a rant, but I'm just concerned if I made the right decision to have bought this camera or simply return it and don't look back while I still can.  Come on DJI, talk to me.  

2019-1-14
Use props
Alex Uzan
lvl.1

France

I’m with you man.Same thoughts exactly.
2019-1-14
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I also forgot to mention that the gimbal drifts a lot and I find myself recentering it all the time.  
2019-1-14
Use props
miamitv
lvl.1
United States

...tick...tock...tick...tock...
2019-1-14
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

Then return it for God's sake...you didn't buy a house, or a car, it's a camera.  Do you sweat this much about your toaster?  
2019-1-15
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

Upscaleman Posted at 1-15 10:03
Then return it for God's sake...you didn't buy a house, or a car, it's a camera.  Do you sweat this much about your toaster?

There's a valid reason to sweat even more after you factor in the cost of the camera plus accessories, filters, shipping, etc.  It no longer is a $350 camera and I don't know about you, but for some people this is a lot of money for a paperweight and at least I would expect it to function as advertised.    Only time will tell.  

Don't get me wrong, overall I like this camera and I'm trying very hard not to return it and definitely I'm hoping that DJI can solve at least some of the main issues like the autofocus and have maybe a battery exchange option down the road.   
2019-1-15
Use props
skyhighmedia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I think a lot of people had very high expectations for the Osmo Pocket. It really isn't a professional camera. It's meant for any human being who wants to record and create short videos of their memories. Not for high-end producers. I bought my Osmo Pocket thinking it could be a substitute for my bigger cameras, but I was wrong. Anyhow I've sold it know and I'm considering the Osmo Mobile 2. The camera on my smart phone is more than enough.
2019-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules