1054 13 2019-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WilfredSparkman 0
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182215 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,

I'm off in just over a month to Thailand for a little two week break.

We are going to fairly quiet locations and not in peak season. We are going to Koh Lanta, and Khao Lak.

I want to take my little Spark with me for a few shots here and there...... I'm a very respectful person who will not be flying over people on the beach or being a pest in any way. And where possible i will speak with locals before taking off.

So, do i take it along? (I'm think I will)
Do I fill out these confusing Thai forms?
Do I get insurance?

Let me know your thoughts.

2019-1-15
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

You will most likely NOT make it in 5 weeks through this;
https://www.caat.or.th/uav/
(Needed forms are to download in english)
They write "Result will be announced in 15 working days (3 weeks), if all docs are provided."
Just: you can provide the entry stamp only after arriving.
And, anyway, my last registration needed 10 weeks, about!

But you could register, hope the best, add the arrival date instead of the arrival stamp with a note, you upload it the first, after arrival.
And ask to check all other stuff, so that it would be a quick answer after that.
Not sure if that would work, but what sense makes it to offer foreigners a registration via Internet, if you need a 2 month holiday, to get it?

You would, however, need a insurance for that.
(I would get one anyway, just the question if you want one, find one with "worldwide" cover)

But if I were someone on a short trip to Thailand, I would register with the NBTC , free of charge, walk in process.
They are also having the higher penalty fines, in case  it matters. ;-)

But "your" next office might be in Phuket.

Aside that, just last week a police officer approached me,  after he saw me starting the bird.
(I am registered, so I tried to get the bird in the air, before he left on his bike ;-)
He was just curious, ask about the price, how far, how high, watched a bit and moved on.
And looking around me, sometimes, there are probably not many drones registered, from "Farang", but in the air
As long you use common sense, the bystanders  mostly just wanna look at your flight devices display

On the other hand I know of someone, who needed to put the hand in the pocket, to solve being spottet by a policeman.

But "TiT", that was 1000 baht. And a receipt from the station, so he had permission to fly for the rest of the day!
(Thats how fines work here in Thailand. You paid for p.ex. driving without license (or helmet!) , you can do it the rest of the day, some areas 3 days, some even a week long)
Next "Stop" you just show the receipt!

For Khao Lak, I just advice not to start it direct in front of the bigger hotels with direct beach access.
The beaches are public, you can pass by, but they may worry, you wanna "spy" on there ground.

Have fun and nice flights!
2019-1-15
Use props
WilfredSparkman 0
Second Officer
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 1-15 05:27
You will most likely NOT make it in 5 weeks through this;
https://www.caat.or.th/uav/
(Needed forms are to download in english)

Firstly, thanks so much for taking the time to write all that information for me my friend thats great!!!!

I wish it was more straight forward...... I'm nervous and back to feeling like maybe i will leave the little Spark at home again!

Maybe i should just try fill out some of these forms... I don't think i'll be able to make any detours to other locations to get things signed though my mrs wouldn't tollerate it at all!!!

2019-1-15
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

WilfredSparkman 0 Posted at 1-15 07:15
Firstly, thanks so much for taking the time to write all that information for me my friend thats great!!!!

I wish it was more straight forward...... I'm nervous and back to feeling like maybe i will leave the little Spark at home again!

For most  tourist with drone it is straight forward:
They don't care and/or calculate with a thousand or two for fines.
Don't push it and it will mostly not bother anyone.
If someone fells disturbed, try to get him on your side (showing the display, what you see/film) or land it, say sorry, and walk 100 or 200m away ;-)

Look at youtube, how many Spark videos alone you find, taken in Thailand from people who have been on holiday.
Since last january, it is usually a "must register".
But just last summer they opened the easier website registration option.
Before it was sending mails in, blindly
No feedback no nothing till either yes or no.
Now you get a answermail and it seems, they checked the entry, not only confirmed that you applied.
I just got 2 days after applying for another drone a message, that I have to check on one document.
I did send a wrong picture, changed that one, now it seems to be under valuation.

Which is (for me) the "strange part", concidering I have already registered some drones!

Don't leave it at home, just try to use common sense
2019-1-15
Use props
manolism
Second Officer
Flight distance : 53035 ft
Greece

I don't know about Thailand but if someone want to visit Morocco, DON'T take with you drones, are prohibited!!! Unfortunately i didn't know that and my little spark is not anymore with me.....
I will write the story about Morocco to another thread.
So my opinion is to go to Thailand without your drone.
2019-1-16
Use props
WilfredSparkman 0
Second Officer
United Kingdom

manolism Posted at 1-16 06:35
I don't know about Thailand but if someone want to visit Morocco, DON'T take with you drones, are prohibited!!! Unfortunately i didn't know that and my little spark is not anymore with me.....

Oh dude thats horrible! I'm very sorry for your loss my friend
2019-1-16
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

manolism Posted at 1-16 06:35

Now you may understand that checkin' in the forums, or just with google, "drone law in ....." is a good deal!
Morocco is a "no drone" state for about 4 years, now.
So nothing new!
Sorry for your loss. Be a bit more carefull, next time. Please!
2019-1-17
Use props
djiuser_15B05Y3kk29T
New

Pakistan

I am very sorry for your loss man.
2019-1-17
Use props
manolism
Second Officer
Flight distance : 53035 ft
Greece

WilfredSparkman 0 Posted at 1-16 07:39
Oh dude thats horrible! I'm very sorry for your loss my friend

S-e-ven Posted at 1-17 05:44
Sorry for your loss. Be a bit more carefull, next time. Please!

djiuser_15B05Y3kk29T Posted at 1-17 06:56
I am very sorry for your loss man.

Thank you guys!!  

I am looking to buy another drone, maybe Mavic Air....
2019-1-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day WilfredSparkman 0. Thank you for raising this information with us today. I will be posting a link where you can check some Flying Tips. I hope this can help you prepare for your travel in Thailand. Thank you and stay safe always.

https://www.dji.com/flyingtips?site=brandsite&from=nav
2019-1-17
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-17 08:59
Hello and good day WilfredSparkman 0. Thank you for raising this information with us today. I will be posting a link where you can check some Flying Tips. I hope this can help you prepare for your travel in Thailand. Thank you and stay safe always.

DJI Stephen, that site is interesting, but for thailand is some important part missing:
Please Note
DJI writes:
    You must register any drones over 2 kg in weight before flying. (All DJI consumer drones are less than 2kg)
But CAAT says: All drones with Camera MUST be registered. Even a TELLO!
( https://www.caat.or.th/uav/faq_en.php )

caat.jpg

2019-1-17
Use props
WilfredSparkman 0
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-17 08:59

Good day DJI Stephen

My pleasure, thankyou for your input. Much appreciated.
I have full filled all the forms now and registered my drone for thailand. I have also acquired full loss / theft / public liability insurance for just £30 all in. Very happy with my piece of mind now. So if anyone is reading this please feel free to ask further questions.

2019-1-18
Use props
WilfredSparkman 0
Second Officer
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 1-17 10:20
DJI Stephen, that site is interesting, but for thailand is some important part missing:
Please Note
DJI writes:

Well said my friend. Its a tricky, complex and fairly confusing process but i have now got it done (took me ages)

So as i said above I have now fully filled all the Thai drone registration forms now and registered my drone for flying in Thailand. I have also acquired full loss / theft / public liability insurance for just £30 all in. Very happy with my piece of mind now. So if anyone is reading this please feel free to ask further questions.
2019-1-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

WilfredSparkman 0 Posted at 1-18 06:36
Good day DJI Stephen

My pleasure, thankyou for your input. Much appreciated.

You are very much welcome WilfredSparkman 0. Always stay safe and have a happy and memorable flying in Thailand.
2019-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules