1440 24 2019-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Found this tree after a short thunderstorm on 8 January 2019.

2019-1-15
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

WOW, that was impressive. Thanks for sharing
2019-1-15
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing the power of nature.
2019-1-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

That stuff makes fantastic kindling for starting fires, in a survival or camping situation.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for sharing your video, well done. Fly safely. Cheers!
2019-1-15
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha wombat ,

Interesting video!  Did you notice if any of the wood was "case hardened"?  When I was a kid, I lived in Monterey, California and my Dad thought it would be a great idea if my older brother and I made firewood out of felled trees on the open lots behind our house.  Besides the exercise, it was educational.  There was wood that was gray and seriously hard.  We found out that it was from trees struck by lightning.

Mahalo for the video!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-16
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 1-16 02:30
Aloha wombat ,

Interesting video!  Did you notice if any of the wood was "case hardened"?  When I was a kid, I lived in Monterey, California and my Dad thought it would be a great idea if my older brother and I made firewood out of felled trees on the open lots behind our house.  Besides the exercise, it was educational.  There was wood that was gray and seriously hard.  We found out that it was from trees struck by lightning.

The way gum trees work in our location is that there are often dried off limbs attached to otherwise growing trees. Also the inner core tends to be hollow which I suspect is because of the old soils.
Gum trees then to with draw sap in response to environmental conditions i.e. extreme heat & then pump the sap back when heat decreases & this is one cause of limb drop (and another reason why it's probably not the best idea to plant large gum trees in the city).
Long story short, tree was OK until the strike.
2019-1-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

sky wombat Posted at 1-16 14:34
The way gum trees work in our location is that there are often dried off limbs attached to otherwise growing trees. Also the inner core tends to be hollow which I suspect is because of the old soils.
Gum trees then to with draw sap in response to environmental conditions i.e. extreme heat & then pump the sap back when heat decreases & this is one cause of limb drop (and another reason why it's probably not the best idea to plant large gum trees in the city).

Widow makers :-)
2019-1-16
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

sky wombat Posted at 1-16 14:34
Gum trees then to with draw sap in response to environmental conditions i.e. extreme heat & then pump the sap back when heat decreases & this is one cause of limb drop (and another reason why it's probably not the best idea to plant large gum trees in the city).

Aloha wombat,

Good note!  Also, interesting physiology.  Mahalo!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-16
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I suppose if you stood outside during the storm it'd melt your undies and weld your fly shut for you
2019-1-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

sky wombat Posted at 1-16 14:54
I suppose if you stood outside during the storm it'd melt your undies and weld your fly shut for you

Had two strikes on the property a couple of weeks back. Did not appear to have done any dameage until I went to open the powered front gate. I found it had fried the electronics and melted wires inside. But the gate itself was not hit at all.
Country Law: All gums trees fall or drop branches on fencing or buildings.

2019-1-16
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 1-16 15:09
Had two strikes on the property a couple of weeks back. Did not appear to have done any dameage until I went to open the powered front gate. I found it had fried the electronics and melted wires inside. But the gate itself was not hit at all.
Country Law: All gums trees fall or drop branches on fencing or buildings.

storm also tripped the drop fuses on my transformer so no power. Ah the joys of country living.
2019-1-16
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 1-16 15:09
Had two strikes on the property a couple of weeks back. Did not appear to have done any dameage until I went to open the powered front gate. I found it had fried the electronics and melted wires inside. But the gate itself was not hit at all.
Country Law: All gums trees fall or drop branches on fencing or buildings.

Look on the bright side Geebax. Relatives, visitors and others couldn't get in. you may not have been able to get out but...
2019-1-16
Use props
Sayhelloforme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Cool find. Thanks for sharing.
2019-1-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

sky wombat Posted at 1-16 19:10
Look on the bright side Geebax. Relatives, visitors and others couldn't get in. you may not have been able to get out but...

The gate opens normally as a manual gate, so you still get in and out. But sitting down at the gate in the heat trying to repair it was a bitch. Especially with this recent spell of hot days.
2019-1-16
Use props
Spacetrakker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 115384 ft
Australia

Strike a light, that's a real corker !!  

Thanks for posting.

2019-1-17
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I always marvel at nature and what it can do.

Just a question ... and not in anyway meant to be rude ...

When I watched the video - I noted a few instances of video focus and clarity reducing - was that in the processing ?

Nigel
2019-1-17
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2019-1-17
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 1-17 05:41
I always marvel at nature and what it can do.

Just a question ... and not in anyway meant to be rude ...

nup what you see is what was recorded and I wondered if it was different heat reflection source  espc at the start
2019-1-17
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

sky wombat Posted at 1-17 11:29
nup what you see is what was recorded and I wondered if it was different heat reflection source  espc at the start

I admit that I have had similar 'hazing' on a few videos ... and am curious about it.

What I find remarkable about the tree as well : all trees I've seen after strikes are usually devoid of leaves / blackened etc. But your tree still has foliage at the top !

Nigel
2019-1-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting video
2019-1-18
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 1-18 04:24
I admit that I have had similar 'hazing' on a few videos ... and am curious about it.

What I find remarkable about the tree as well : all trees I've seen after strikes are usually devoid of leaves / blackened etc. But your tree still has foliage at the top !

well can't speak for your trees Solent but around here doesn't seem to be an issue. Lightning hits all with little to no leaf loss. Best hope is that it strikes a green tree and you get no fires.
Here's one from last night. Single tree & fire was in part of tree that had died and been encased by new growth. OK not drone footage but...
2019-1-18
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

solentlife Posted at 1-18 04:24
I admit that I have had similar 'hazing' on a few videos ... and am curious about it.

'What I find remarkable about the tree as well : all trees I've seen after strikes are usually devoid of leaves / blackened etc. But your tree still has foliage at the top !'

Yeah, they are gum trees, so the leaves stick to the tree better
2019-1-18
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 1-18 16:06
'What I find remarkable about the tree as well : all trees I've seen after strikes are usually devoid of leaves / blackened etc. But your tree still has foliage at the top !'

Yeah, they are gum trees, so the leaves stick to the tree better

Aloha Geebax,

Even us guys in Hawai'i can get that one!  LOL!!!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I’m growing some trees now. Hahaha
C3289BB9-C5F1-4D9D-9600-58DEEBE6C746.jpeg
A different kind of evergreen...  ;-)

RedHotPoker
2019-1-20