Foreigners flying in Canada.
3719 20 2019-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jyc
First Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

I was just reading the text of the new law and I'm realising that it is very strict. Check out the following.

903.01 No person shall conduct any of the following  operations using a remotely piloted aircraft system that includes a  remotely piloted aircraft having a maximum take-off weight of 250 g  (0.55 pounds) or more unless the person complies with the provisions of a  special flight operations certificate — RPAS issued by the Minister  under section 903.03:

(c) the operation of a system by a foreign operator or  pilot who has been authorized to operate remotely piloted aircraft  systems by the foreign state;

That means they have to be lawfuly authorised to fly in their country and request a special flight operations certificate probably before arrival. Very serious stuff, fines start at $1000 CAD.

2019-1-15
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow. Strict indeed
2019-1-15
Use props
itsjustme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

Yes, our transport minister is a complete idio* and a mor*n. These folks are clueless and they portray this that they are doing this in the name of safety, whereas this is another money grab scheme. I am a Canadian btw.
2019-1-15
Use props
jyc
First Officer
Canada

itsjustme Posted at 1-15 06:49
Yes, our transport minister is a complete idio* and a mor*n. These folks are clueless and they portray this that they are doing this in the name of safety, whereas this is another money grab scheme. I am a Canadian btw.

Well, the law is the law. My intent is to warn / inform foreigners of what will be mandatory come June first.
2019-1-15
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10326581 ft
Canada

seems to me though that is going overboard,  someone was just asking about that earlier on in another thread,  hopefully he will read this.
2019-1-15
Use props
jyc
First Officer
Canada

Picanoc Jack Posted at 1-15 07:50
seems to me though that is going overboard,  someone was just asking about that earlier on in another thread,  hopefully he will read this.

Strict rules are being applied to Canadians / Residents, visitors will be under the same rules. It makes sense.
2019-1-15
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

More information.
This is from Coastal Drones Co.  which is a drone training company in Canada.

TOURISTS
Only Canadian citizens and permanent residents may hold Basic and Advanced Certificates.
Foreign operators will need to apply for an SFOC. Before you freak out let’s remember what an SFOC actually is. Not all SFOC applications follow the format we’re used to calling “an SFOC”. SFOCs have existed in the aviation industry looooong before RPAS were around and come in many shapes and sizes. It was just a convenient stop-gap to use in the drone industry until our new regulations were published and we got used to thinking of them as one specific thing. An SFOC is just that – a special authorization to conduct a flight outside of what the regulations cover. If someone holds a foreign license/certificate/permit from their country of origin, it may be possible to authorize a flight (read: issue an SFOC) based on that certification alone. A TC inspector needs to make that decision though as there is no international standard for licenses/certificates/permits. Those from nations with established procedures (USA, Australia, New Zealand, and the countries of the EU for example) will likely run into minimal issues. It may not be ideal, but at least there’s a process.
2019-1-15
Use props
jyc
First Officer
Canada

Far_North Posted at 1-15 09:27
More information.
This is from Coastal Drones Co.  which is a drone training company in Canada.

Interested parties should start the process well in advance of anticipated date of arrival. Currently the backlog to obtain a SFOC is 20 business days.
2019-1-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for sharing such informative information. Cheers. Fly safely.
2019-1-15
Use props
djiuser_KVnFLIPMFCNP
New

Canada

We need a Spark (Spark II?) under 250 grams.  Canada, like many other countries, does NOT regulate drones under the 250 gram threshold.  I keep hearing rumors, and I want a DJI, but have to wait until there's a sub-250 gram Spark...
2019-1-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good info.
2019-1-16
Use props
GabrielGV
lvl.1
Flight distance : 478510 ft
Mexico

I plan to travel on vacation to Canada in December. By then it is likely that I have a Mavic Mini weighing less than 250 grams. Considering this weight, as a foreigner anyway do I have to apply any special permission to fly?
2019-10-22
Use props
SupCarlos
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454193 ft
  • >>>
United States

Another reason not to visit Canada. Eh?
2019-10-22
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

I have recently been in connection with a company called Coastal Drone, they are based somewhere in British Columbia. They help out with the knowledge base required for the SFOC and help you with the process.
I'm not endorsing them in any way, and there are probably other companies providing the service too. It's just the first I stumbled upon (and they were very responsive to additional questions I had).
The course costs CAD95. here's a link: https://coastal-drone-academy.thinkific.com/courses/RPAS-basic-FP
Once you pass the knowledge course and exam, you can present it to get your SFOC and they can help you with the application as well (for an additional fee of course).

According to them you DO NOT NEED a pilot certificate or drone registration certificate from your own country (although it can help) and you DO NOT need an additional process to register yourself or your drone in Canada. You do have to mark your drone with the SFOC number and carry the SFOC documents on you.
2019-10-23
Use props
jyc
First Officer
Canada

djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S Posted at 10-23 01:06
I have recently been in connection with a company called Coastal Drone, they are based somewhere in British Columbia. They help out with the knowledge base required for the SFOC and help you with the process.
I'm not endorsing them in any way, and there are probably other companies providing the service too. It's just the first I stumbled upon (and they were very responsive to additional questions I had).
The course costs CAD95. here's a link: https://coastal-drone-academy.thinkific.com/courses/RPAS-basic-FP

Very useful information, keep us posted.
2019-10-23
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Israel

jyc Posted at 10-23 03:59
Very useful information, keep us posted.

I'm not planning a trip to Canada at this time, so at this point I will not do the course and will not have further updates. Just wanted to let everyone know that there's a way a foreign citizen can fly a drone legally in Canada. Takes some processing and time (like someone said above, plan ahead - the bureaucracy takes time), but definitely doable and not as terrible as one might think.
And that is just one company, there may be others.
Like I said they were very responsive, very quick and to-the-point answers to all the questions I asked them. Credit where credit is due.
2019-10-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United States

And not al countries have anything to prove they are allowed to fly,  in the UK theres currently no registration system, although that will change soon.
2019-10-23
Use props
ravedoglv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 409879 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S Posted at 2019-10-23 01:06

That link takes you to their basic course. If you’re a foreigner you need advanced. Their website shows that the basic course is good enough. It’s not. Unless they’re providing foreigner accreditation for super cheap. Most online courses I’ve found start at 300 and go up.
2020-2-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Sadly, it sounds like it would easier (less hassle) to hire a local UAV pilot to fly drone for you.  Might be cheaper too.   

Regardless, foreigners are visitors to Canada and should act as such.  Be respectful of local laws and customs.  Or don't go.
2020-2-17
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 879154 ft
Canada

itsjustme Posted at 2019-1-15 06:49

You are right, a complete...  When I go to in the USA, I don't need to pass another driver licence!!! It should be the same with drones.

It's SO easy to fly in the US, I feel sorry for them not being able to fly in Canada.  
2020-2-18
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
United States

ravedoglv Posted at 2-17 16:54
That link takes you to their basic course. If you’re a foreigner you need advanced. Their website shows that the basic course is good enough. It’s not. Unless they’re providing foreigner accreditation for super cheap. Most online courses I’ve found start at 300 and go up.

I have been in numerous email exchanges with them as well, and unless something has changed between the time we corresponded and today, they made it absolutely clear that the basic course is enough.
Anyway, since I'm not planning a trip to Canada anytime soon, I don't plan to pursue this further at this time.
2020-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules