Please help!
2000 17 2019-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
charbel1011
lvl.3
United States

So this is my first time flying my dji mavic pro. So of course i did charge everything downloaded the app and connected everything my dji app tells me compass error and i need to calibrate so i did the steps and now it says compass clalibration completed i flew it around up and down and that thing looks stable my gps is locked and my
Homepoint has been set. But im worried because if i did the calibration incorectly i will have problems in the future? How do i know if my compass calibration is succesfull or not? When i go to the overall status it status it says next to compass the button calibration and next to it normal. And i didnt calibrate the imu and gimbal do need to?
2019-1-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for reaching out, with regards to that if the Calibration is not successful it will say actually and if ever there's a problem you will be notified about it, but make sure when you are calibrating the IMU and Compass make sure you are far or away to any interference.
2019-1-15
Use props
charbel1011
lvl.3
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-15 10:25
Hi there, thank you for reaching out, with regards to that if the Calibration is not successful it will say actually and if ever there's a problem you will be notified about it, but make sure when you are calibrating the IMU and Compass make sure you are far or away to any interference.

I was next to my car and that's it. Is that a problem?
2019-1-15
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i think no need to worry - if there is a problem with compass the app will tell you. If this is your first time flying then part of the initial set up procedure is to calibrate imu and gimbal and your rc.
2019-1-15
Use props
charbel1011
lvl.3
United States

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 1-15 10:43
i think no need to worry - if there is a problem with compass the app will tell you. If this is your first time flying then part of the initial set up procedure is to calibrate imu and gimbal and your rc.

I didn't calibrate the gimbal or imu or rc? The app didn't ask me for it. Should i do it? I already was flying it around.
2019-1-15
Use props
Gazmg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 195358 ft
United Kingdom

charbel1011 Posted at 1-15 10:46
I didn't calibrate the gimbal or imu or rc? The app didn't ask me for it. Should i do it? I already was flying it around.

If the app has not asked you to then leave it ..Calibrating the gimbal is not an issue though if you think its slightly out and there is a gimbal adjust for horizon.
2019-1-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

charbel1011 Posted at 1-15 10:26

You should not calibrate DJI drone's compass(es) near a car or near anything that could cause Magnetic Interference.

When calibrating compass(es) you should be at least 10-meters away from any source of Magnetic Interference - such as: concrete with rebar, fire hydrant, chain link fencing, metal building, buried power line or metal gas / water lines, bicycle, etc.

You should not have on you any magnets or ferrous metal jewellery or glasses.  Recommended that R.C. and SmartDevice not be with you during compass calibration.
2019-1-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Go check it in the app first find an open spot clear od interference open app check sensors, a good compass will be shown in green the smaller the green the better.

Compass distances.

Natural and Artificial Magnetic Anomalies Warning
Note
The following information has not been objectively tested to determine it’s impact on a Drones compass accuracy in flight.
        1        Many things can distort the earth’s magnetic field in the area you are flying:
        •        Steel framed or reinforced concrete buildings, bridges and roadways, iron pipes and culverts, high power electric lines, heavy equipment, trucks and automobiles, steel tanks, electric motors and even computers.
        •        Flying between steel framed or reinforced high rise buildings will distort the magnetic field in addition to causing GPS multi-pathing.
        2        Safe distances for compass calibration
        •        6” (15 cm) minimum: Metal rim glasses, pen/pencil, metal watch band, pocket knife, metal zipper/buttons, belt buckle, batteries, binoculars, cell phone, keys, camera, camcorder, survey nails, metal tape measure.
        •        18” (50 cm) minimum: Clipboard, data collector, computer, GPS antenna, 2-way radio, hand gun, hatchet, cell phone case with magnetic closure.
        •        6 ft (2 m) minimum: Bicycle, fire hydrant, road signs, sewer cap or drain, steel pole, ATV, guy wire, magnets, chain-link fence, bar-wire fence, data collectors
that use a magnet to hold the stylus.
        •        15 ft (5 m) minimum: Electrical box, small car/truck, powerline, building with concrete & steel.
        •        30 ft (10 m) minimum: Large truck, metal building, heavy machinery.
2019-1-15
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I found even if the Compass calibration is normal you can have a problem. It seems for me if I don't do a calibration the Precision landing is off by a few meters. After calibration of the compass the MP is dead on landing.

Once I did make the mistake in calibration .Here is my original post on it.
10 seconds of panic

2019-1-15
Use props
charbel1011
lvl.3
United States

B1houdini Posted at 1-15 13:14
I found even if the Compass calibration is normal you can have a problem. It seems for me if I don't do a calibration the Precision landing is off by a few meters. After calibration of the compass the MP is dead on landing.

Once I did make the mistake in calibration .Here is my original post on it.

So what should i do do the compass calibration again?
2019-1-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

If ever there's interference the App will notify you about it and the calibration will not be successful.
2019-1-15
Use props
BobB
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

I wouldn't dwell on it to much but always be on the defensive. That drone might just do something and you need to be ready to react accordingly. Like i said just be on the defensive just in case and you will be fine.
2019-1-15
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

charbel1011 Posted at 1-15 13:17
So what should i do do the compass calibration again?

From all the post on the forum. Most pilots don't do it unless it calls for it.
DJI support recommends doing it if you fly from different locations.
For me I do it because I have the problem of it not landing exactly where it took off.
Just the other day I flew from my friends house  which is a block away. Calibrated there and the MP landed precisely where it took off.
Came home and flew it and the MP tried to land in a bush. 3 feet from the landing Pad.
If you think there is a problem then I would Calibrate. If every think works well without calibration then I would not.

I know that is not a good answer to your question but it is a judgement call each of us make.
  I hope you can get an answer to your question that gives you satisfaction.

Fly Safe

2019-1-15
Use props
charbel1011
lvl.3
United States

B1houdini Posted at 1-15 17:36
From all the post on the forum. Most pilots don't do it unless it calls for it.
DJI support recommends doing it if you fly from different locations.
For me I do it because I have the problem of it not landing exactly where it took off.

Well the weird thing as soon as i opened the app as first timer. The app said compass error and i need to calibrate so i did that. But i wasn't 100% if i did the calibration correctly as i felt wayy off. No a biggie ill do it the correct way tomorrow. Btw what about the imu. It says the imu is normal didn't
Calibrate the imur or the rc yet.
2019-1-15
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

If you were near your car, your compass is out of calibration.  It calibrated, making up for the presence of metal nearby.  You need to go out in a field or somewhere else away from external magnetic interference and do a proper compass calibration.  Please do not fly before doing it.  You may suffer a loss without proper calibration.
2019-1-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

As for re-doing compass calibration, even though DJI's GO-4 has not called for it, I have never seen a problem from re-calibrating compass - as long as I did compass calibration correctly.

Believe a correctly calibrated compass can tolerate slightly more magnetic interference, before error-ing, than poorly calibrated compass or a compass that is on margin of being out of calibration.
2019-1-15
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

charbel1011 Posted at 1-15 17:53
Well the weird thing as soon as i opened the app as first timer. The app said compass error and i need to calibrate so i did that. But i wasn't 100% if i did the calibration correctly as i felt wayy off. No a biggie ill do it the correct way tomorrow. Btw what about the imu. It says the imu is normal didn't
Calibrate the imur or the rc yet.

The following is a list of occasions when it’s recommended to calibrate the IMU, according to DJI representatives, web resources, and forum contributors.

If the DJI Go or Go 4 app tells you to. If there is only one time when you choose to perform a calibration, this would be it.

If the app is telling you to, you may also notice alternative red flashing lights on the drone which can indicate an IMU error. Don’t panic if you see flashing red lights though, as this also indicates a low battery. But hey, that’s another good reason to land soon.

If you notice the drone hovering at an angle when there is little to no wind, or it drifts without your input. The cause of the aforementioned behaviors may be something completely unrelated to the IMU, but calibrating the IMU would be a good step when diagnosing the cause.

After a crash or a hard landing. Sensors may be jarred in such an event, in which case a calibration would be smart.

When you first receive the drone. All of the sensors on your new DJI drone come pre-calibrated, but your new Mavic or Inspire had quite the journey getting to your front door. We’ve all seen those videos of porch cameras capturing delivery drivers doing their best Joe Montana impression with packages.

After a firmware update. I personally don’t calibrate the IMU after every firmware update and have never had an issue with it, but some swear by this practice.

When should you not calibrate the IMU? If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. After reading this post I’d hate for you to walk away telling yourself “well shoot, maybe I need to do an IMU calibration”, just because you never have and it seems like something people do, at least occasionally. You do not need to calibrate the IMU before each flight; that would be redundant and unnecessary. If you don’t currently fall into one of the above categories (unless you’re in the “when you first receive your drone” category), then keep your fingers away from that calibrate button.
2019-1-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

B1houdini Posted at 1-16 06:29
The following is a list of occasions when it’s recommended to calibrate the IMU, according to DJI representatives, web resources, and forum contributors.

If the DJI Go or Go 4 app tells you to. If there is only one time when you choose to perform a calibration, this would be it.

I do wonder about need to calibrate IMU prior to performing Gimbal, VPS, and Compass calibrations?
Again, DJI says nothing about it one way or other.

If IMU data is used during other calibrations to compensate for yaw, pitch, roll of XYZ axis of drone, accurate IMU calibration would be of importance.

Gimbal calibration is supposed to be done with drone sitting on a level (left/right and front/back) surface.  Mavic Pro, itself does not sit level, being rear feet are shorter.
VPS calibration is done with drone in two positions (top up and nose up), with aiming movements primiarly involving yaw and pitch.
Compass calibration is done in two positions, but with motion (dependent upon which drone dance) meant for earth's magnetic field to effect all three of compass's magnetic field sensors, and to distinguised drone's own magnetic field from earth's magnetic field.

2019-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules