DJI Ronin-S Anybody got the GPS Unit? Thoughts?
4000 14 2019-1-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AngularIan
lvl.3
United Kingdom

There seems to be little to no information about the GPS unit on YouTube and other sites.  Has anybody ordered it?  If so, have you found it useful and how have you mounted it? Have seen a couple of photos - both had it mounted differently.
2019-1-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi AngularIan, there are two methods to mount the External GPS Module, please check more details here: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... %20User%20Guide.pdf Thank you.
2019-1-16
Use props
AngularIan
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-16 01:21
Hi AngularIan, there are two methods to mount the External GPS Module, please check more details here: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Ronin-S/20181121/Ronin-S%20External%20GPS%20Module%20User%20Guide.pdf Thank you.

THanks Mindy.  Would be great if this could be added to the list of downloads on the Ronin-S page.

Do you have a similar link for the user guide for the command unit. One came with the product but the font is tiny and I would prefer a PDF version for my ailing eyesight.

Thanks
2019-1-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

AngularIan Posted at 1-16 01:31
THanks Mindy.  Would be great if this could be added to the list of downloads on the Ronin-S page.

Do you have a similar link for the user guide for the command unit. One came with the product but the font is tiny and I would prefer a PDF version for my ailing eyesight.

Since there are too many accessories, I'm afraid it is not convenient to put all the User Manual on the Download page, but I will forward your suggestion to the related team.
The User Manual can be found in the purchase page of the online store, please check here: https://store.dji.com/category/ronin-s-and-accessories
Here is the User Guide of the Command Unit: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... %20User%20Guide.pdf
2019-1-16
Use props
AngularIan
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-16 02:05
Since there are too many accessories, I'm afraid it is not convenient to put all the User Manual on the Download page, but I will forward your suggestion to the related team.
The User Manual can be found in the purchase page of the online store, please check here: https://store.dji.com/category/ronin-s-and-accessories
Here is the User Guide of the Command Unit: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Ronin-S/20181121/Ronin-S%20Command%20Unit%20User%20Guide.pdf

Many thanks!
2019-1-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

You are welcome, please keep me updated if you have further concern.
2019-1-16
Use props
arthurbikemad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49954 ft
United Kingdom

I feel the information in the PDF for the GPS unit does not really give much info.

I have some 3M lock strip that I used to mount the GPS to the Ronin S arm, I have the upper support but it restricts some movement like 360 roll.

It would be nice if DJI could give some advanced information in regard to the GPS. What speed do the parameters change, what changes? They say it helps to counter gyroscopic effects but some more info would be good to let users make a calculated assessment if to use it or not. What speed for example do parameters chance, 5mph - 100mph - 200mph? I have no idea... Given you can not see or adjust as far as I know those mystery settings more info would be great!

The unit is cheap I will give it that and mine works well, my works I mean I can see the satellites on the command unit but I have no idea what else is "working"...
2019-1-17
Use props
AngularIan
lvl.3
United Kingdom

arthurbikemad Posted at 1-17 01:58
I feel the information in the PDF for the GPS unit does not really give much info.

I have some 3M lock strip that I used to mount the GPS to the Ronin S arm, I have the upper support but it restricts some movement like 360 roll.

Thanks for this.  As you say the unit is cheap but not many people seem to be buying it the count of YouTube videos are any indicator.  I guess what I'm struggling with is whether the Ronin-S really does perform better with this unit than it does without it.

I agree with you about the manual. SNAFU.
2019-1-17
Use props
arthurbikemad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49954 ft
United Kingdom

AngularIan Posted at 1-17 02:11
Thanks for this.  As you say the unit is cheap but not many people seem to be buying it the count of YouTube videos are any indicator.  I guess what I'm struggling with is whether the Ronin-S really does perform better with this unit than it does without it.

I agree with you about the manual. SNAFU.

No problem, I decided to order it as there was a possibility that I would do some filming from a car, however that's hand held, I think the idea is more that its fixed with the powered base on a car, however from what I read people have struggled with that, I know DJI market it with that intent as far as I can gather, that and RC car mounting, I get the idea, speed goes up, parameters change, I guess motor power etc to keep the horizon level, you would have thought that a simple sensor could deal with tilt, saying that the onboard sensors must be good but clearly DJI know better and need GPS data to assist, this is where I feel its odd, you would think with all the experience DJI have in the professional film industry that this would all be a major plus side for the Ronin S and they would push or make public the fine details of the GPS unit?? But then, that's DJI..... :S
2019-1-17
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

Any updates to other users who use this device? I wonder if this helps those who have shaky footage from their DJI gimbal?
2019-3-7
Use props
BrokenFlame
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I purchased the GPS Unit, as I assume it is for fast acceleration/deceleration and direction changes. The assumption (due to the lack of GPS precision) is it is for more speed data while travelling large distances quickly, say while Skiing, on a bike or attached to a vehicle.

I’m assuming the onboard tilt and G-force sensors should be able to react quickly enough for most circumstances, but under hard acceleration, deceleration, and direction changes, these sensors get confused to which way is up. Hence the GPS module informs the CPU of the speed change, to aid calculating the horizon and thus the required motor movements.

While travelling quickly the deadband normally needs to be increased, as does the motor force and reaction speed.

The fact the DJI use a GPS module on their Ronin 2 is reassuring.

DJI really needed to state the circumstances the GPS module would help in, if they wanted to sell more. The lack of information really hurt the sells numbers.
2020-7-27
Use props
RoyEP3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 286017 ft
United States

BrokenFlame Posted at 2020-7-27 22:24
I purchased the GPS Unit, as I assume it is for fast acceleration/deceleration and direction changes. The assumption (due to the lack of GPS precision) is it is for more speed data while travelling large distances quickly, say while Skiing, on a bike or attached to a vehicle.

I’m assuming the onboard tilt and G-force sensors should be able to react quickly enough for most circumstances, but under hard acceleration, deceleration, and direction changes, these sensors get confused to which way is up. Hence the GPS module informs the CPU of the speed change, to aid calculating the horizon and thus the required motor movements.

So what are your reviews on the GPS unit so far?
2021-2-24
Use props
JasonSH
New
Flight distance : 112208 ft

United States

I just got a GPS module and when using the status in the app,  always shows 0 satellites present.   Problem with the app or the unit?
2021-3-21
Use props
Mo_camera
lvl.2

Turkey

JasonSH Posted at 3-21 07:14
I just got a GPS module and when using the status in the app,  always shows 0 satellites present.   Problem with the app or the unit?

Same here, could you solve it? mine doesn't work.
2021-9-9
Use props
Foto8
lvl.1

Austria

Hi I order both the Ronin S + the GPS Module and cant wait to try both. I want to film from a moving Train truth the open Window and I hope to improve the quality of the shot.
When the show 0 Sat maybe you have to wait longer and or move the place. It can take up to 15Min (!) until an "offline" Receiver in a bad Spot can get anything.
You should be outdoor to.
2022-1-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules