Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
multiple burst photo mode interval
5364 8 2019-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Oceandrone
lvl.1
Netherlands

All,

Is it possible to change the photo burst interval?

We use the drone for research purposes to calculate body length of dolphins at sea.

The burst mode allows to capture multiple pictures within <1 second.
however, for our purposes we would like to get multiple photos, lets say 3 photos divided over a second, or 5 photos over a 2 second time period, hereby slowing the burst mode by 2-3 fold.

Does anybody know if this is possible?

Like my other remarks on mismatch of gps timing of photos and video

when you take 5 burst photos, which are all shot within 1 second, the original time in the exif data adds 1 second to each subsequent burst photo, which doesnt make sense. They should all have the same time to the second.

Thanks

Machiel

2019-1-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Maybe reload the app?

You could try using other adjustment, then go back to that parameter and try it again, to see if it corrects.

RedHotPoker
2019-1-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The speed of the burst mode is dependant on the SD card. If it was speeded up it would not work on many SD cards, so DJI keep it to a lower rate to ensure compatibility.
2019-1-16
Use props
Oceandrone
lvl.1
Netherlands

Geebax Posted at 1-16 14:11
The speed of the burst mode is dependant on the SD card. If it was speeded up it would not work on many SD cards, so DJI keep it to a lower rate to ensure compatibility.

Geebax,
if i understand your reply correctly, a slower sd card will make the the inter-photo time of a burst of photos longer?

I was hoping to be able to adjust (slow down) the speed of the burst to enable to get a full surfacing of a dolphin on say 3 to 5 photos.
I can use a 10 photo-mode burst for this, however the writing of 10 photos to the card takes too long, and while this happens, it blocks the controls to take another photo / burst. hence not very useful for our work.
2019-1-17
Use props
P4P+_Brazil
Second Officer
Brazil

Oceandrone Posted at 1-17 01:38
Geebax,
if i understand your reply correctly, a slower sd card will make the the inter-photo time of a burst of photos longer?

Why don't you record little videos at 4k 24FPS, split the file into JPGs using a converter and select exactly the images you need ?
2019-1-17
Use props
Oceandrone
lvl.1
Netherlands

P4P+_Brazil Posted at 1-17 02:34
Why don't you record little videos at 4k 24FPS, split the file into JPGs using a converter and select exactly the images you need ?

P4p+ Brzail, Thansk for your suggestion and yes we do that too, but two downsides are

a- a lot more post processing if used a lot, (geolocations / gps timing) etc
b- pictures are more sharp and get more detail, 4k video tends to be softer than the photos, especially around edges of animals
2019-1-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Oceandrone Posted at 1-17 01:38
Geebax,

I think it will only slow down the process to a point, but may in the end stop the shooting progress. I think the only way to get around this is to use an aircraft that already has a higher spec camera system, such as the Inspire.
2019-1-17
Use props
Kiwibonds
lvl.1

Ireland

Completely agree. As a train photographer with a drone (and there are many of us) being able to set the burst mode frames-per-second would be extremely useful to increase the pause between shots. With a little shutter lag sometimes, I have taken a lot of pictures with poles and trees in the way of my trains - a longer pause between burst mode pics would be realllly helpful.
2020-2-4
Use props
impossiblespeed261
New
Flight distance : 868225 ft
Australia

Agreed! As a train photographer who has used multiple DJI drones since 2014, it's pretty disappointing that $3000+ drones still lack the ability to choose the frames per second of the burst shooting. I remember reading suggestion posts years ago and having some hope that things would change, but that hope is waning. As a photographer, I'm disheartened DJI drones seem to be so video feature packed but basic photography features remain forgotten.

The new Mavic 3 Pro brings better-than-ever hardware for action photography through the inclusion of longer focal lengths with RAW shooting, eg 48MP 70 mm. However, I haven't upgraded as the same limited burst function makes the DJI drones so frustratingly crippled for photography.

DJI, please, seriously consider implementing the ability to choose the frames per second (speed) of the burst shooting. I know I'm not alone in wanting this, there's a significant community who refrain from investing in DJI drone gear as the software doesn't meet the needs of action photographers.
2023-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules