Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P4P always missing photos in mapping missions
3985 17 2019-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans591f2a3c
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7004009 ft
United States

I use Pix4D capture.  In every single mapping mission there will be some photos that are missing in the mission.  This happens whether I am do SAFE mode (connectionless) or FAST mode.  It does not matter if I am 200' from the P4P or 1500'.  I hope someone can shed some light on why this is happening.  I do not experience huge gaps, just a single photo missed every so often.  sometimes there will be 2 photos taken very close together instead of spaced out properly.

Equipment:
P4P running latest firmware
iPad 4 Mini latest iOs version
iOs Pix4D app

i will appreciate any feedback on how to correct this.  I do not think it is related to signal strength and it is happening in connectionless (SAFE) mode so it is not the iPad or the connection causing the problem.  

Missing Captured photos

Missing Captured photos
2019-1-16
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

We have been discussing this in San Diego....... from what we are seeing there is seemingly a fairly short life of the P4Pro Camera.  Maybe less than 50,000 pictures??

There is one operator that has gone thru one camera and is on the 2nd one......it is now, after shooting something over 20,000 pictures, doing EXACTLY what you show above.  How old, and how many pics do you think you might have taken?

Randy
2019-1-16
Use props
fans591f2a3c
lvl.3
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 1-16 11:32
We have been discussing this in San Diego....... from what we are seeing there is seemingly a fairly short life of the P4Pro Camera.  Maybe less than 50,000 pictures??

There is one operator that has gone thru one camera and is on the 2nd one......it is now, after shooting something over 20,000 pictures, doing EXACTLY what you show above.  How old, and how many pics do you think you might have taken?

Randy,
Aparently the P4P does not include the actuation count like DSLRs   If I had to guess it would be somewhere in the 20k range?  Hopefully DJI will address the question and provide details to what would be causing this to happen.  

If there is something camera related, can it be fixed??
2019-1-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

fans591f2a3c Posted at 1-16 11:42
Randy,
Aparently the P4P does not include the actuation count like DSLRs   If I had to guess it would be somewhere in the 20k range?  Hopefully DJI will address the question and provide details to what would be causing this to happen.  

The actuation count you refer to is the number of mechanical shutter actuations, which have a finite life. The sensor does not have a finite life. As long as you don't mistreat the camera it should last forever. If you like, you can shut off the mechnical shutter anyway in the settings.

Other factors, are you shooting RAW? Sometimes that can cause dropped shots if you are taking the shots close together. And if I was doing these missions, I would format the SD card in thye camera before each flight, as the SD card itself can give problems if it has been used a lot without formatting.

However I also remember hearing of missing shots in a sequence, and it was the fault of the controlling app. I just don't remember which app it was.

2019-1-16
Use props
fans591f2a3c
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 1-16 13:59
The actuation count you refer to is the number of mechanical shutter actuations, which have a finite life. The sensor does not have a finite life. As long as you don't mistreat the camera it should last forever. If you like, you can shut off the mechnical shutter anyway in the settings.

Other factors, are you shooting RAW? Sometimes that can cause dropped shots if you are taking the shots close together. And if I was doing these missions, I would format the SD card in thye camera before each flight, as the SD card itself can give problems if it has been used a lot without formatting.

Thanks Geebax.  I am hoping that DJI will weigh in on this.  If I need a new SD card, I will get one.  I just want to find out what is causing this and I believe it is happening with many people.  We just need to get it fixed.
2019-1-16
Use props
fans591f2a3c
lvl.3
United States

fans591f2a3c Posted at 1-16 14:10
Thanks Geebax.  I am hoping that DJI will weigh in on this.  If I need a new SD card, I will get one.  I just want to find out what is causing this and I believe it is happening with many people.  We just need to get it fixed.

I meant to add that I am shooting in JPG only.  I use the Pix4D Capture app but it happens when using DroneDeploy capture app as well.
2019-1-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

fans591f2a3c Posted at 1-16 14:10
Thanks Geebax.  I am hoping that DJI will weigh in on this.  If I need a new SD card, I will get one.  I just want to find out what is causing this and I believe it is happening with many people.  We just need to get it fixed.

DJI will not 'weigh in' on this, their technical people do not participate in the forum. All you will get is a message urging you to return the aircraft for possible repair, whcih it most probably does not need. I would get a Sandisk Extreme Pro card, then copy off the pics after a mission and then re-format it in the aircraft to keep the speed up.

I do not know the exact reason, but I believe it is not uncommon. DJI will probably not look into it, as the problem only occurs when using third party apps. You have a better chance of getting it fixed by approaching the app makers.
2019-1-16
Use props
fans591f2a3c
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 1-16 14:32
DJI will not 'weigh in' on this, their technical people do not participate in the forum. All you will get is a message urging you to return the aircraft for possible repair, whcih it most probably does not need. I would get a Sandisk Extreme Pro card, then copy off the pics after a mission and then re-format it in the aircraft to keep the speed up.

I do not know the exact reason, but I believe it is not uncommon. DJI will probably not look into it, as the problem only occurs when using third party apps. You have a better chance of getting it fixed by approaching the app makers.

Geebax, I ordered 2 of those today (the 64gb cards).   I will get them on Friday and give it a test.  It would be very nice if that solved my problem.   I will post back the results.
2019-1-16
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I just notified my partner of formatting before a job with a clean sdcard........ it was a " NO KIDDING " moment!!!  

Thanks GEE    He will test Friday when we have no rain......I have not had this happen...yet,  but all my cards are much newer than his....

Randy
2019-1-17
Use props
fans591f2a3c
lvl.3
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 1-17 10:02
I just notified my partner of formatting before a job with a clean sdcard........ it was a " NO KIDDING " moment!!!  

Thanks GEE    He will test Friday when we have no rain......I have not had this happen...yet,  but all my cards are much newer than his....

Randy,
Which specific card(s) do you use?  What about your partner.  I am assuming that your partner has had some missing photos?  I ordered 2 of the SanDisk Extreme Pro MicroSDXC UHS-I U3 A2 V30 that will be here tomorrow.  
I am also switching over to Map Pilot for image capture instead of the Pix4D app.  I should have done that long before now!!.  When going through the Map Pilot app today, there is a selection of card speed which I assume will govern the minimal interval that it will take/write photos.  Hopefully the rain will move out tomorrow so i can go fly and test the new card.
Tim
2019-1-17
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Same as what you ordered.....There is a 32GB in the bird......I'll be formatting next time up  :-)

Randy
2019-1-17
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

So,  got back from shooting some Ocean waves and such......moved the files off the card onto the computer......deleted the files from the card and checked Properties......that's odd,  an empty 32gig card with 3.68 gigs used space......

Pulled the card out of computer, and formatted in the bird......put back into computer and checked properties.....24MB of used space......W O W   cleaned things right up!!!

Now we need to know if there are still missing pics in a mapping mission ......... Might be able to do that Saturday.   FANS,  were you able to test with new cards today, or no??

Randy
2019-1-18
Use props
FlyinLo
lvl.3
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 1-18 13:26
So,  got back from shooting some Ocean waves and such......moved the files off the card onto the computer......deleted the files from the card and checked Properties......that's odd,  an empty 32gig card with 3.68 gigs used space......

Pulled the card out of computer, and formatted in the bird......put back into computer and checked properties.....24MB of used space......W O W   cleaned things right up!!!

Randy,
I flew today but my cards have not been delivered   Raining tomorrow, traveling on Sunday.  So maybe Monday I get to test new cards.

Here is a 2 minute video I did on field checking your photos in less than 60 seconds.

I look forward to hearing if you had missing photos.  The mission I did today had about 400 photos.  I have to head back out.  Will bring my bird in and check as soon as I get home but I know there will be some missing.
2019-1-18
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

BTW,   once done with the map mission,  all the picture drops are on screen......I take a screen shot......then once everything is shut down, I take a good look at the screen shot for any missing pics.....

Randy
2019-1-18
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

rwynant V1 Posted at 1-18 13:26
So,  got back from shooting some Ocean waves and such......moved the files off the card onto the computer......deleted the files from the card and checked Properties......that's odd,  an empty 32gig card with 3.68 gigs used space......

'So,  got back from shooting some Ocean waves and such......moved the files off the card onto the computer......deleted the files from the card and checked Properties......that's odd,  an empty 32gig card with 3.68 gigs used space......'

That is because DJI create a bunch of hidden files on the card which you do not normally see. This is exactly the reason I recommend people format the card in the aircraft frequently, because formatting removes those files you cannot see.
2019-1-18
Use props
FlyinLo
lvl.3
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 1-18 15:31
BTW,   once done with the map mission,  all the picture drops are on screen......I take a screen shot......then once everything is shut down, I take a good look at the screen shot for any missing pics.....

Randy

So there were some missing today.  Not a bunch, but missing.  The missing photos have their number skipped in the sequence.  So most likely a writing error.  I do hope the faster new card will solve this.  I reformatted the card today before flying.

Randy, what capture app do you use?
2019-1-18
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Pix4D for me,  although I have tested with Drone Deploy.

Randy
2019-1-18
Use props
FlyinLo
lvl.3
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 1-18 19:42
Pix4D for me,  although I have tested with Drone Deploy.

Randy

Randy,
Disregard the photo above.  I used Map Pilot for this mission.  I had 3 battery changes.  I did not realize that Map Pilot takes a photo after it reaches the mission altitude from take off.  There is an option to adjust mission speed based on lighting and I'm sure that is what the photo is for.  
So the photos are numbered sequentially before and after the "gap". Will fly with new cards Monday.   I have Pix4D desktop but I think I am going to really enjoy using Map Pilot for capture.  Have a great weekend!
Tim
2019-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules