Took me about 30 seconds to crash it (not badly)
573 9 2019-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spandit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 65463 ft

United Kingdom

I bought my Mavic, which is my first drone, second hand for a very keen price. It has the fly more bundle and I can believe it hasn't been flown very much at all. I did notice the power supply wasn't a UK one, so maybe it was bought cheap in the first place. The seller wasn't home from work until 8pm so when I got it home it was dark.

Anyway, after looking up online how to actually get it started, couldn't resist just hovering it in the kitchen. Almost immediately hit a chair and crashed. A subsequent flight saw me hit the living room wall but fortunately there was no major damage.

The next day I took to flying it outside and whether or not it was landing in grass (why are the legs so short?) or hitting a twig on a tree, I noticed that one of the blades had a small nick in it. I replaced the blade with one of the spares from the combo kit and showed it to a mate who does a bit of RC flying. "Better snap that to make sure you never use it again". After a few attempts, I let him have a go and it was with considerable effort that he managed to break a piece off - impressive stuff.

Trying not to let the horror stories on here about flyaways and dropping out of the sky alarm me - mine has been almost faultless, although I have noticed the controller losing contact with the drone a couple of times. The first time this happened it was near the home point but force landed into some grass - not ideal. I do have power lines overhead but had been flying near/over/under them since I got it without any issue. The second time was testing my new Acer Iconia tablet - fortunately wasn't in the air at this point and the short flight I did went without incident.

Impressive little beast, isn't it?

2019-1-16
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

Very impressive, I personally would not fly mine inside.
2019-1-16
Use props
Caspers driver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4540515 ft
United States

“mpressive little beast, isn't it?”

Hopefully you’ve gotten all that out of the way and can concentrate on lots of safe and accident free flights !!!

Thanks for the chuckle.
Enjoy the “beast “.
2019-1-16
Use props
spandit
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I certainly won't be flying it inside again, not in a room this small anyway. Still blown away by what it can do and terrified that I'll crash it properly although at least I didn't pay full whack for it. Tried doing a low pass over a pond and very nearly ditched - came back with spray underneath. Managed to lock it onto the dog for a bit but it kept locking onto trees she ran past. Does make me feel a bit intrusive, don't have to be very high to see into neighbouring properties. Tomorrow I will be making sure the CSC is set to emergency only as got very close to using it in flight. Such a shame the height is so limited but I'm under the Gatwick flight path anyway so wouldn't be safe going much higher.

I find it odd the gimbal lock doesn't have a "remove before flight" tag on it or an interlock to stop the gimbal trying to power if you switch it on without removing it. It's a bit awkward to replace
2019-1-16
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

1) Don't fly indoors.
2) Get yourself a landing pad.
3) If the controller is disconnecting, make sure everything is up to date firmware wise.
4) Take it slow. Short flights. Minimal distance/height.
2019-1-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day spandit. Thank you for sharing your flight experience with your DJI Mavic Pro. If you have any trouble with your DJI Drone in the future. Please feel free to contact DJI Support at https://www.dji.com/support for us to help you further. Thank you for your support.
2019-1-17
Use props
Gazmg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 195358 ft
United Kingdom

spandit Posted at 1-16 14:03
I certainly won't be flying it inside again, not in a room this small anyway. Still blown away by what it can do and terrified that I'll crash it properly although at least I didn't pay full whack for it. Tried doing a low pass over a pond and very nearly ditched - came back with spray underneath. Managed to lock it onto the dog for a bit but it kept locking onto trees she ran past. Does make me feel a bit intrusive, don't have to be very high to see into neighbouring properties. Tomorrow I will be making sure the CSC is set to emergency only as got very close to using it in flight. Such a shame the height is so limited but I'm under the Gatwick flight path anyway so wouldn't be safe going much higher.

I find it odd the gimbal lock doesn't have a "remove before flight" tag on it or an interlock to stop the gimbal trying to power if you switch it on without removing it. It's a bit awkward to replace

Ive got one of these easy to remove and put on..Read the instructions on the Dji Mavic its campable of alot of things and fully familiarise  yourself with the  with the app...Happy flying....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/311981313984?chn=ps
2019-1-17
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Find the manual online and read it - loads of valuable information in that reading about your drone and valuable tips. avoid flying indoors (see you got that lesson:-) avoid flying too close to trees - the twigs will get you:-) happy flying and safe landings,
2019-1-17
Use props
spandit
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I've come on leaps and bounds since my first day. Was a bit windy today but the collision avoidance did see a tree I thought I was some way from.
2019-1-17
Use props
spandit
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Gazmg Posted at 1-17 12:30
Ive got one of these easy to remove and put on..Read the instructions on the Dji Mavic its campable of alot of things and fully familiarise  yourself with the  with the app...Happy flying....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/311981313984?chn=ps

Is that cover just tinted or is there some other difference to the one that I have already? Worried about overheating by flying with it on, although opinions appear to be mixed
2019-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules