Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Getting Smart Controller 3rd Party Apps to work
123Next >
12839 92 1-16 17:54
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PSL75
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70650 ft
Ukraine

3-11 15:24
Use props
Bcor666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 437907 ft
Germany

PSL75 Posted at 3-11 15:24
https://youtu.be/gajZQf4d0zg

?

I still need help
3-12 01:18
Use props
PSL75
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70650 ft
Ukraine

than I can help, I will help)))
ask)
3-12 06:22
Use props
fansb7fcaba7
lvl.1

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 1-22 16:30
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The application will be supported in the future on the next firmware and application update. Please pay attention to our website for a further update. Thank you for understanding.

I have tried side loading the google play store, drone deploy and pix4d with no luck. Any idea on how to accomplish this or id DJI will just add the google play store app so we can load all other apps on the device.  Having second thoughts about the smart controller now.
3-22 04:51
Use props
DJI Tony
Super Moderator

fansb7fcaba7 Posted at 3-22 04:51
I have tried side loading the google play store, drone deploy and pix4d with no luck. Any idea on how to accomplish this or id DJI will just add the google play store app so we can load all other apps on the device.  Having second thoughts about the smart controller now.

Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. The DJI Smart Controller uses Android 7.1 system. Because of the Google GMS certification limitation, the DJI Smart Controller cannot use the GMS service, and the relevant software requires third-party support before using. As the DJI Smart Controller is a dedicated remote controller, it is not recommended to install too many unnecessary apps, otherwise, the remote controller's performance will be affected. We do appreciate your understanding.
3-24 16:32
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

I did install Airmore, a wifi file transfer app today.  It works and I was able to wirelessly transfer files from the SC to my computer.  I had access to both the internal memory and the sd-card for the Smart Controller.  
3-24 19:44
Use props
fansb7fcaba7
lvl.1

United States

Bcor666 Posted at 3-11 03:33
Hi @PSL75 ,
can u explain me how to use the skytalk-function ?
I have activated "skytalk" in the dev-option, instagram and whatsapp are installed too. But how can i start the skytalk-stream ?

How do i install instagram and whatsapp? I have tried side loading google play and the apk pure with no luck. when I open these up, they close within seconds.
3-26 06:18
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

fansb7fcaba7 Posted at 3-26 06:18
How do i install instagram and whatsapp? I have tried side loading google play and the apk pure with no luck. when I open these up, they close within seconds.

I used the included Browser to visit Apkpure and download that way - via the web.  Then you have to find your download folder, locate the apk file, tap on it and INSTALL.  That's how I installed AirMore mentioned above.  I've also installed the BRAVE browser that way.  Using it now more than the installed one.
3-26 06:46
Use props
Tempostudio
Captain
Flight distance : 719770 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

ff22 Posted at 3-26 06:46
I used the included Browser to visit Apkpure and download that way - via the web.  Then you have to find your download folder, locate the apk file, tap on it and INSTALL.  That's how I installed AirMore mentioned above.  I've also installed the BRAVE browser that way.  Using it now more than the installed one.

they close within seconds
3-26 12:45
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

Tempostudio Posted at 3-26 12:45
they close within seconds

I use the BROWSER that is on the SC.  I visit the www.apkpure.com site using the broswer.  Than use apklpure search bar to find the app you want.  Follow the download steps.  It might not show the download progress very well.  But then look in the download folkder on the SC and find the file.  Tap it and go for INStALL.
3-28 07:10
Use props
coloradoskier
lvl.2
Flight distance : 269304 ft
United States

ff22 Posted at 3-24 19:44
I did install Airmore, a wifi file transfer app today.  It works and I was able to wirelessly transfer files from the SC to my computer.  I had access to both the internal memory and the sd-card for the Smart Controller.

Thank you, going to check that out.
3-29 08:40
Use props
coloradoskier
lvl.2
Flight distance : 269304 ft
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 3-24 16:32
Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. The DJI Smart Controller uses Android 7.1 system. Because of the Google GMS certification limitation, the DJI Smart Controller cannot use the GMS service, and the relevant software requires third-party support before using. As the DJI Smart Controller is a dedicated remote controller, it is not recommended to install too many unnecessary apps, otherwise, the remote controller's performance will be affected. We do appreciate your understanding.

Then why advertise it can work with 3rd party apps?

When is SkyTalk coming?
3-29 08:41
Use props
DJI Tony
Super Moderator

coloradoskier Posted at 3-29 08:41
Then why advertise it can work with 3rd party apps?

When is SkyTalk coming?

HI, thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, you could possibly install third-party applications on our Smart Remote Controller, however, since the application hasn't been tested by our engineers then we couldn't guarantee if the application will work properly. As of the time being, we haven't received the latest information when will the Skytalk be available on our Smart Remote Controller. No worries, we will follow up your query with our designated team to see if there will be an update. Thank you for understanding.
4-1 12:57
Use props
Aricus
lvl.1
United States

I got my smart controller today and got Google Play installed, It works absolutely great. To get it you have to install the following:

1. Download and install Google Services Framework for 7.1.2 Nougat
2. Download and install Google Play Framework for 7.1.2 Nougat
3. Download and install Google Account Manager for 7.1.2 Nougat
4. Download and install Google Play Store apk
5. Download and install DEVICE ID apk (you'll need this for the next step)
6. reboot controller
Then when you run Google Play Store it'll say your device is UNCERTIFIED. Just like the registeration button at the bottom, tell it you're registering this device because youre a ROM developer. It'll ask you for your Device ID, you get this from the Device ID app you installed in step 5. When it's open grab the ID that is in the second row, paste that into the registration. Reboot the controller. PROFIT

4-11 10:10
Use props
marktottymy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 55531 ft
United States

WOW, DID YOU GET ANY PLAY APPS TO ACTUALLY WORK CONNECTED TO THE AIRCRAFT ?
4-11 13:48
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

Aricus Posted at 4-11 10:10
I got my smart controller today and got Google Play installed, It works absolutely great. To get it you have to install the following:

Do you have links to those various items or are they easy to find?

4-11 16:36
Use props
Aricus
lvl.1
United States

ff22 Posted at 4-11 16:36
Do you have links to those various items or are they easy to find?

Super easy, just google the names. I can get links up though too if people want me to
4-12 09:31
Use props
Aricus
lvl.1
United States

marktottymy Posted at 4-11 13:48
WOW, DID YOU GET ANY PLAY APPS TO ACTUALLY WORK CONNECTED TO THE AIRCRAFT ?

I tried to see if I could live feed from Facebook app, since you can't live feed from the DJI app any more (or at least I can't, won't let me). It doesn't have the option in the FB app to live stream since the controller is running an over version of Android. I'm still messing around to see what works and what doesn't. One kind of scary thing is when you switch apps, such as to Instagram, or FB, etc you can no longer see the DJI app (which is a given) so you're flying/hovering blind.

I put google photos on the controller and have it autobacking up the photos to my account which is nice because then they just show up on my computer/tablet/etc. I also put Light Room and Snapseed on there to edit photos (which are then backed up to google photos).

I'll test to see what apps I can use to actually take photos, etc. I'm just not sure how much better it is than using DJI app to take a photo, import it into light room on the controller to make adjustments, and have google photos automatically back that up to the web for me so I can use it anywhere. (or using IG or FB to post after the adjustments in light room)
4-12 09:34
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

Aricus Posted at 4-12 09:31
Super easy, just google the names. I can get links up though too if people want me to

I would appreciate the links.  I wound up in circles on Apkmirror trying to get those specific versions.  Also,  came up with the same apk even though you mentioned different names.

Maybe Firefox is not my friend or my search (DuckDuck) is proving difficult.
4-12 10:26
Use props
Trailkill
First Officer
Flight distance : 317031 ft
  • >>>
United States

How do I uninstall this? I keep getting Google Services Framework keeps stopping.  Do I have to reset to factory settings?

Update: I had to do a factory reset because it was stuck in a constant loop with the error. Warning!!!! It didn't work for me.
Funny thing is after the factory reset it fixed the time problem. It boots up with the correct time.

Wayne
4-13 04:13
Use props
djiuser_rkcnx8cBdT1W
lvl.1
Flight distance : 83350 ft
Australia

Cannot get the Google Services Framework 7.1.2 to work. It always crashes on startup or whenever an application attempts to use the framework, such as Google Play Store.

It is possible to uninstall them without Factory Reset. There is a brief period between the confirmation of the crash dialog to operate the controller UI. Navigate to the settings > apps and uninstall GSF.

I can't figure out when GSF is crashing, the only thing I can think is that it does not have the Modify System Settings permission. I'm gonna connect ADB later to see if I can get a stack trace.

Once the GSF crashes are solved I will assume that everything will work.

There is a typo above; the APKs you need are:
Google Services Framework [7.1.2]
Google Account Manager [7.1.2]
Google Play Services [arm64,android 6.0+]
Google Play Store [all]
All are on apkmirror.com
4-19 15:48
Use props
Nigelpugh7
First Officer
Flight distance : 971900 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We decided to use Amazon App Store to install the third party apps on our controller.

It’s seemed to us the safer way of doing third party apps installs.

Remember installing any apps to an android device such as the smart controller might affect the core of the OS, and that’s going to be a Risk for a device that is a dedicated flight controller your aircraft.

Please also bear in mind that we had one of the original smart controllers when they were first released. And installing third party apps effectively bricked that controller so we could not use it. And it had to be sent back to dji to be replaced.

We don’t want that to happen again, so take great care now to manage the on board memory and the micro sd card storage too.

4-20 01:32
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

djiuser_rkcnx8cBdT1W Posted at 4-19 15:48
Cannot get the Google Services Framework 7.1.2 to work. It always crashes on startup or whenever an application attempts to use the framework, such as Google Play Store.

It is possible to uninstall them without Factory Reset. There is a brief period between the confirmation of the crash dialog to operate the controller UI. Navigate to the settings > apps and uninstall GSF.

Looking forward to your further analysis of the issue or issues involved in getting this to work or NOT work!

4-20 07:55
Use props
djiuser_rkcnx8cBdT1W
lvl.1
Flight distance : 83350 ft
Australia

djiuser_rkcnx8cBdT1W Posted at 4-19 15:48
Cannot get the Google Services Framework 7.1.2 to work. It always crashes on startup or whenever an application attempts to use the framework, such as Google Play Store.

So I hooked up ADB. Installing any of those APK results in permissions not being granted. The most important being MANAGE_USERS. When Google Service Framework starts it queries for the users and this causes a crash in the framework. This is common for a lot of Chinese android devices as Google services are blocked in that country.

Outcome: I have no idea how the post above got Google Play Store working, maybe a different version of the controller OS was running that allowed more permissions.

TBH, I don't actually care about getting Google Play Store on my controller: I just want Google Photos so it will automatically backup my content without having to do the sing and dance transferring stuff. However I need the core services so that Google Photos will work so it's the same problem.

A very expensive device without automatic content syncing is a bit….... Hopefully, DJI will give us more sync options in the future.
4-20 21:43
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

djiuser_rkcnx8cBdT1W Posted at 4-20 21:43
So I hooked up ADB. Installing any of those APK results in permissions not being granted. The most important being MANAGE_USERS. When Google Service Framework starts it queries for the users and this causes a crash in the framework. This is common for a lot of Chinese android devices as Google services are blocked in that country.

Outcome: I have no idea how the post above got Google Play Store working, maybe a different version of the controller OS was running that allowed more permissions.

I did initially wonder if the China connection was what resulted in Google Play, etc being missing from these units.  It really does limit their potential.  While I can accept to some extent this was intended to be a dedicated controller for drones, the result is that many weather and mapping apps which can be quite helpful in flying are not available or don't work correctly.  Or as you suggest, normal backup routines are also severely limited.

I have a feeling this will not change.  Unless as more people report the limitations of a so-called "smart" controller it begins to limit sales.

Or someone brilliant user figures out how to jailbreak it and load REAL Android on it.
4-21 07:56
Use props
Renato Ros
lvl.1
Portugal

PSL75 Posted at 3-11 15:24
https://youtu.be/gajZQf4d0zg

Dear all, the DroneDeploy app does not work with DJI Smart Controller. I use this app to work with my DJI Drone. Could you please help me? Thanks. RRos
5-18 08:08
Use props
Renato Ros
lvl.1
Portugal

Dear All, the DroneDeploy app does not work with DJI Smart Controller. I use this app to work with my DJI Drone. Could you please help me? Thanks. RRos
5-18 08:36
Use props
Donald Meteny
lvl.1

United States

Hello everyone! I've figured out how to install Google Play Store on the Smart Controller. I made a tutorial on how I did it but I have no idea how to post the url on this forum. It says that I don't have permission. Weird.
5-19 08:46
Use props
raven swe
First Officer
Flight distance : 469144 ft
Sweden

yes please,
5-19 09:50
Use props
Donald Meteny
lvl.1

United States

raven swe Posted at 5-19 09:50
yes please,

Do you know how to post links?
5-19 15:07
Use props
Donald Meteny
lvl.1

United States

Donald Meteny Posted at 5-19 08:46
Hello everyone! I've figured out how to install Google Play Store on the Smart Controller. I made a tutorial on how I did it but I have no idea how to post the url on this forum. It says that I don't have permission. Weird.
Until I figure it out you can try to Google my website:

"Certified Aerials Miami"

The tutorial is under the Info tab. The page is called "How to Install Google Play Store on the DJI Smart Controller"

I don't have a lot of page rank so it might not be in the top search results yet! Lol
5-19 15:16
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

Donald Meteny Posted at 5-19 15:16

Your link:

https://www.certifiedaerials.com ... ji-smart-controller

Looks interesting.  I'm really reluctant to erase everything and start all over but....

Darn, can't print your page - only the first paragraph prints.

5-19 16:53
Use props
Certified Aerials
lvl.1

United States

ff22 Posted at 5-19 16:53
Your link:

https://www.certifiedaerials.com ... ji-smart-controller

Nice! Thanks for helping me out with that URL.

Not sure what you mean about printing?

I guess you could skip the factory reset step but if you have other APKs already downloaded it might interfere.
The factory reset doesn't remove anything important. It basically brings it back to the point when you unboxed it but keeps the updates. I did it several times after attempting to download and install APKs before stumbling on this method.
5-19 18:36
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

Certified Aerials Posted at 5-19 18:36

I was thinking of giving it a try without the wipe and see what happens.  If it does not work, hopefully, it wouldn't brick and I could wipe if I decided to go ahead.

I was trying to print the instructions so that I could reference them offline.  Not a problem.
5-19 21:02
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

Certified Aerials Posted at 5-19 18:36

Well, hot dam(n).  I believe it worked.  I took some effort to get the files downloaded and the series of INSTALLS, well, installed.  And copying and type those 500 digit id numbers (g)

I did not wipe the device so we will see how it goes in the future.  But the Playstore seems to be working.  I got Google Maps, mapping.  My WA Tide app seems to be working.  Sorry, I did not manage to capture some of those screen images you wanted.  Too many oddball screens that only showed download/install and nothing of any interest!

(aside - having trouble getting into forums)
5-22 11:54
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 203278 ft
United Kingdom

Donald Meteny Posted at 5-19 15:16

Excellent!

So far using this method I have sucess with:

UAV Forecast,
NATS Drone Assist
GPS Status
OS Maps
Firefox
Airdata HD Sync (which worked without the Google mod too)

DJI's GeoZone map actually got the location working although it's missing a lot of NFZ data in my region.

I had to persist with the Google login step, it took serval tries to work. The location services are weak in some apps and I had to change the location setting to 'On/High accuracy'.
DJI Go4 needed to be started with the Mavic live before I could clear the 'download off line map' box.

Thank you for the great work on this.

Bill
5-23 00:55
Use props
Certified Aerials
lvl.1

United States

Billboyheritagesurvey Posted at 5-23 00:55
Excellent!

So far using this method I have sucess with:

Great! I'll add those apps to the list as soon as I can. Thanks Bill!

If anyone else does it, please take a screenshot for me so I can add it to the tutorial. I'd rather not do it again however I've been thinking a out making a YouTube video of the process. Does anyone think that would help?
5-23 04:56
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

Certified Aerials Posted at 5-23 04:56
Great! I'll add those apps to the list as soon as I can. Thanks Bill!

If anyone else does it, please take a screenshot for me so I can add it to the tutorial. I'd rather not do it again however I've been thinking a out making a YouTube video of the process. Does anyone think that would help?

A video might help.  In a process where it adds those 5 or 6 modules, not much seems to have showed anything.  Actually, I had to restart that process a second time.  Nothing happened initially.  And, that darn multi-digit number is tiny and I had to hand copy it to paper and then back into the reply.  

But your instructions are pretty right-on.
5-23 05:06
Use props
Trailkill
First Officer
Flight distance : 317031 ft
  • >>>
United States

Donald Meteny Posted at 5-19 08:46

I'm having a problem everything installed just great but when I run Device ID I don't get a Google Service Framework {GSF} number. It's blank. I keep getting the Not Play protected certified, error.

Please help
TK
Nevermind I did a factory reset and reinstalled Google PLay Store and it works now. Nice job Don.
5-23 09:56
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 203278 ft
United Kingdom

Trailkill Posted at 5-23 09:56
I'm having a problem everything installed just great but when I run Device ID I don't get a Google Service Framework {GSF} number. It's blank. I keep getting the Not Play protected certified, error.

Please help

It will only show the GSF number if you have done a Factory re-set 1st. I think some of the Google package components, if not installed in sequence, can stop the Device+ID app working. I had to go through the whole process (including hard re-starts) twice before it all fell into place.
5-25 02:37
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules