921 15 2019-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_kaVZlZOaTqIl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

Ascents are ravenous

So why descent appearing cautious regardless clearance opportuned?
2019-1-16
Use props
spandit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 65463 ft

United Kingdom

With the turbulent air generated by the propellers, if you descended too fast you might incur stability problems due to the aerodynamic effects
2019-1-16
Use props
J AV10
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31686 ft
United States

Hey, so the reason behind reduced descent rate is because of a phenomenon known as Vortex Ring State. It's where the low pressure air below the quad, caused by the prop wash, causes the quad to descend into the vortex and lose lift. This results in the quad descending erratically. I had a Yuneec Q500+ crash on me twice because of VRS, once into snow, then later into a tree, where I decided I was going to go with the MA.
2019-1-17
Use props
Tyredecals.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

This was so common in the P1 and P2 days when the Phantoms used to carry weighted gimbals and gopros. Operators were taught never to ascend vertically as it would lose lift in its own "dirty air". It was best to spiral down to land. But the OP is right. The Mavic is heaps lighter and therefore less prone to VRS and descent speed should be increased to 6ms.
2019-1-17
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Ascent is accomplished by hammering the throttle on fixed pitch propellers.  Decent is accomplished by reducing throttle.  Only so much you can reduce motor/prop speed, to descend, without the drone becoming unstable (tumbling).  

Fixed pitch coaxial model helicopters have the same problem slow descent problem.  Variable pitch model helicopters can reverse the pitch on the blades and descend as fast, or faster, than they can climb.
2019-1-17
Use props
djiuser_kaVZlZOaTqIl
Second Officer
United States

Lemme read more of this phenomena,  possibly you folks are being force fed such answers by status quo.

While pressure differential across the prop has ultimately an upper limit else cavitate (spinning wheels no thrust?), isn't that defined by Reynolds number threshold transition into so called turbulent flow?

Or is a prop operating turbulent always? It's really just a turbine pump without any containment casing (volute?). Without casing to eliminate fringe (tips) losses (leakages), wouldn't the non-symmetry of quad arms and fuselage be the real instability root cause descent limitation?

It appears dji creation can not reverse thrust like transmissions would allow?
2019-1-17
Use props
djiuser_kaVZlZOaTqIl
Second Officer
United States

Capsizing?
Can firmware allow ultra descent?
Or hardware disallows?
Recall props interlok capsized?
2019-1-17
Use props
Spark in the Park
lvl.3
Flight distance : 725961 ft
Australia

Following this thread, very interesting stuff, i speed modded the spark and it used to drop so fast but there was none of this theory there, it basically just killed the props and dropped like a stone then u let go of the stick and the craft throttles on to compensate rapid decent. So go get a spark and speed mod it then figure out how to do it to a ma... simple
2019-1-18
Use props
djiuser_kaVZlZOaTqIl
Second Officer
United States

Dji has any prudent reason not to endorse craft descent accelerations ?
At times the seagulls necessitate such acceleration drop out from enscribing curiosities?
2019-1-18
Use props
Spark in the Park
lvl.3
Australia

Look up dji spark speed mod guide and do the same to your mavic air very impressive
2019-1-20
Use props
Spark in the Park
lvl.3
Australia

djiuser_kaVZlZOaTqIl Posted at 1-17 11:53
Capsizing?
Can firmware allow ultra descent?
Or hardware disallows?

It's firmware restricted, look up on youtube, dji spark speed mod guide and do the same to your mavic air
2019-1-20
Use props
djiuser_kaVZlZOaTqIl
Second Officer
United States

Yes, editing yourself in lieu of downloading proofed package?
Seagulls can inflict totality wastage.
They can out accelerate too.
I think sputtering the exterior color might scare them off?
The surface shell (lobster looking) may need to be removed for Palladian sputtering, and it may or may not introduce shielding effect of navigation.
2019-1-20
Use props
djiuser_kaVZlZOaTqIl
Second Officer
United States

Spark in the Park Posted at 1-18 04:32
Following this thread, very interesting stuff, i speed modded the spark and it used to drop so fast but there was none of this theory there, it basically just killed the props and dropped like a stone then u let go of the stick and the craft throttles on to compensate rapid decent. So go get a spark and speed mod it then figure out how to do it to a ma... simple

Inverted and propulsion engaged is also prescribeable?
That will drill the craft toward earth if it's prescribeable right?
2019-1-20
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Just install nolimitdronez and you can adjust your ascend/descend speed the way you want. It’s up to 10m/s if I’m not mistaken.

Flysafely
Alex
2019-1-20
Use props
djiuser_kaVZlZOaTqIl
Second Officer
United States

Alex B. Posted at 1-20 18:32
Just install nolimitdronez and you can adjust your ascend/descend speed the way you want. It’s up to 10m/s if I’m not mistaken.

Flysafely

Its immature yet still?
2019-1-20
Use props
Spark in the Park
lvl.3
Australia

Alex B. Posted at 1-20 18:32

Flysafely

Can you pm me a link? More info please?
2019-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules