IMU calibration?
1555 16 2019-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
charbel1011
lvl.3
United States

Do i need to be in a big open field to calibrate IMU? i know compass i need to be away from any interference but what about IMU?
2019-1-17
Use props
Harbourside
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Only if you have a nice flat level table to do it on in the middle of a field, otherwise don't do it.
Had my Mavic since Nov 2016 and have never re-calibrated the IMU, factory settings are best unless the app tells you its needed.
2019-1-17
Use props
charbel1011
lvl.3
United States

Harbourside Posted at 1-17 05:27
Only if you have a nice flat level table to do it on in the middle of a field, otherwise don't do it.
Had my Mavic since Nov 2016 and have never re-calibrated the IMU, factory settings are best unless the app tells you its needed.

Okay one more question the other day when i did setup my drone for the first time and went to the park to fly it. my app told me compass error and i need to calibrate the compass. so i did that. But i felt i did it wrong. somehow the app said the compass calibration completed. maybe because i was next to my car. Which i shouldn't be i know. Can i just do th compass calibration again to put my mind at rest?
2019-1-17
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

charbel1011 Posted at 1-17 05:32
Okay one more question the other day when i did setup my drone for the first time and went to the park to fly it. my app told me compass error and i need to calibrate the compass. so i did that. But i felt i did it wrong. somehow the app said the compass calibration completed. maybe because i was next to my car. Which i shouldn't be i know. Can i just do th compass calibration again to put my mind at rest?

Yes, ofcourse you can calibrate it again.

Just be carefull where you do a calibatration, choose an open field without metal etc nearby.

cheers
JJB
2019-1-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi Charbel1011,  thank you for reaching out. Make sure to calibrate your IMU on a level surface, and don’t move the aircraft during calibration. If you calibrate on an angled surface or move the aircraft during calibration, the aircraft’s attitude will be angled by default and it won’t hover stability, even without magnetic interference or other environmental issues. If your drone drifts a lot, IMU calibration may help resolve the issue. You may follow the video tutorial below on how to properly calibrate the IMU. If you have other concern, please feel free to contact us. Thanks for your support.

2019-1-17
Use props
Drameee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

No, but  you need a flat surface to calibrate IMU
2019-1-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

charbel1011 Posted at 1-17 05:32

Hi Charbel1011, You can calibrate the compass when flying in a new location, or a location that is different from your last flight. When the aircraft moves erratically during flight and the drone doesn't fly in straight lines. You can go this route: MC Settings--Advanced Settings--Sensor--Compass--calibrate. If you have other questions, please let us know. Thanks for choosing DJI!
2019-1-17
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Drameee Posted at 1-17 06:42
No, but  you need a flat surface to calibrate IMU

Not just flat.  It needs to be LEVEL for IMU calibration.
2019-1-17
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Harbourside Posted at 1-17 05:27
Only if you have a nice flat level table to do it on in the middle of a field, otherwise don't do it.

I disagree, who knows how many time a drone has been dropped during its shipment from half way across the world. I checked my M2P's IMU when I first got it and found one of the sensors to be a little bit off. Luckily I have access to an one ton granite level table at my work for calibrating instruments.  
2019-1-17
Use props
charbel1011
lvl.3
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 1-17 12:19
I disagree, who knows how many time a drone has been dropped during its shipment from half way across the world. I checked my M2P's IMU when I first got it and found one of the sensors to be a little bit off. Luckily I have access to an one ton granite level table at my work for calibrating instruments.

Do u need the flat surface to calibrate anything beside IMU.
2019-1-17
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

charbel1011 Posted at 1-17 14:09
Do u need the flat surface to calibrate anything beside IMU.

It's also useful to calibrate the gimbal on a flat and level surface. I use an app on my tablet to check for a level surface clinometer
2019-1-17
Use props
charbel1011
lvl.3
United States

Boffin Posted at 1-17 14:16
It's also useful to calibrate the gimbal on a flat and level surface. I use an app on my tablet to check for a level surface clinometer

Okay so the compass calibration must be made in a field. Imu and gimbal on a flat surface. Do i need to calibrate the RC or not necessary?
2019-1-17
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

charbel1011 Posted at 1-17 14:25
Okay so the compass calibration must be made in a field. Imu and gimbal on a flat surface. Do i need to calibrate the RC or not necessary?

I would calibrate it if it was my drone. You just have to make sure the surface is level. and when you go through the motions of switch the drone's positions smoothly and gently during IMU calibration.
2019-1-17
Use props
charbel1011
lvl.3
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 1-17 14:43
I would calibrate it if it was my drone. You just have to make sure the surface is level. and when you go through the motions of switch the drone's positions smoothly and gently during IMU calibration.

Are u talking about the RC calibration or the IMU?
2019-1-17
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

charbel1011 Posted at 1-17 14:45
Are u talking about the RC calibration or the IMU?

Sorry, I did't know you were talking about the RC instead of the aircraft. No, unless the you feel the RC is doing squirrely things to your drone.
2019-1-17
Use props
Drameee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 1-17 10:47
Not just flat.  It needs to be LEVEL for IMU calibration.

YOU ARE CORRECT!
2019-1-17
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Maxi3D Posted at 1-17 12:19
I disagree, who knows how many time a drone has been dropped during its shipment from half way across the world. I checked my M2P's IMU when I first got it and found one of the sensors to be a little bit off. Luckily I have access to an one ton granite level table at my work for calibrating instruments.

Lucky you, I bet DJI didn't have it calibrated on a one ton granite level table at the factory
2019-1-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules