2356 18 2019-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ElectricLife Atellani
Captain
Flight distance : 9674836 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Hi, I cannot seem to find a way to reboot the brand new DJI Smart Controller. I booted it, it got stuck on the DJI initial screen and that's it. I let it shut down automatically after a few minutes of not being linked to the craft, but what if that happeend in flight? The only available option would be to hit return home. My concern is that all my CrystalSky monitors freeze in flight at times and I am used to reboot them by pressing the button or by removing the battery and re-inserting it, but there does not seem to be a options for the Mavic 2 controller and I think it should be priority number one to implement a master reset mode for the controller's screen ASAP. I read the manual and found nothing of sort.

Please let me know.
2019-1-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there, sorry for all the trouble. I will forward this query to our R&D Engineers to check  what is the best option that we can do when you are in this kind of scenario. Thanks for your support.
2019-1-17
Use props
ElectricLife Atellani
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-17 16:10
Hi there, sorry for all the trouble. I will forward this query to our R&D Engineers to check  what is the best option that we can do when you are in this kind of scenario.

Great and thanks. It might no there yet, but it's probably a good idea to add a button combo
2019-1-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

ElectricLife Atellani Posted at 1-17 16:12
Great and thanks. It might no there yet, but it's probably a good idea to add a button combo

You're welcome. I'll give you an update as soon as possible.
2019-1-17
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds and it will shutoff.
2019-1-18
Use props
ElectricLife Atellani
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

Buzzyone Posted at 1-18 14:42

I tried right away, it just kept vibrating, without shutting down. I tried multiple combinations, but that was before updating it. I will try again.
2019-1-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Hi ElectricLife Atellani, sorry for the late response. If it is convenient for you, please provide a short video of the issue so that I can forward it to the designated team. You can upload it by using google-drive or Dropbox and provide the link here. Thanks for your support.
2019-1-20
Use props
ElectricLife Atellani
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

Buzzyone Posted at 1-18 14:42

BTW, would you feel comfy shutting down your entire remote while flying if the screen becomes unresponsive? I am not so sure I would be ok with it.
2019-1-20
Use props
ElectricLife Atellani
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-17 16:10
Hi there, sorry for all the trouble. I will forward this query to our R&D Engineers to check  what is the best option that we can do when you are in this kind of scenario. Thanks for your support.

Hi, it happened once while booting up, and I did not take a video, so the Mavic 2 was not flying. It eventually shut down by itself, not because the battery was out of juice, but because it was not connecting to the craft. My hypothetical scenario is the app crashing in flight, which often happens on my CS, for example while switching from photo to video. In that case I just reboot the app by shutting down the screen (Specific on/off button on the CS). Eventually the unit reboots itself, but it takes less time to manually reboot it. I am assuming that being the same software (Android in this case) and hardware (Or very similar), this can happen as well, but there's currently no way to reboot just the app, as the on/off button shuts down the entire unit, therefore disconnecting the craft in flight. It is already not ideal to have the app freeze during flight (Imagine if you are short on battery life), but at least on the CS there's a way to reboot it in approx. 30 seconds. Beside having a video, it should be fairly easy for engineering to understand what the issue is in this case, as I am sure they are aware of the App + CS freezing during operations. they just need to apply the same scenario on the new remote.
2019-1-20
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ElectricLife Atellani Posted at 1-20 23:33
BTW, would you feel comfy shutting down your entire remote while flying if the screen becomes unresponsive? I am not so sure I would be ok with it.

I have tested the restarting the controller during flight when the MP2 came out. Just to see how it behaves, which is well as it turns out.

I wouldn’t be impressed if it locked up, as long as a restart is possible. I will be testing this sometime this week as I feel testing in a controlled way is important to understand the behaviour of the aircraft so when it does wrong I will have a fair understanding as to what will be happening!

Anyway, during testing of the standard controller it reconnects very quickly, which allows a cancel of the auto initiated RTH.

In answer to your question I wouldn’t worry about doing it as long as it does restart of course. I don’t use auto land or whatever it’s called, I guess I might have too if it all goes wrong.
2019-1-21
Use props
ElectricLife Atellani
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

Buzzyone Posted at 1-21 09:27
I have tested the restarting the controller during flight when the MP2 came out. Just to see how it behaves, which is well as it turns out.

I wouldn’t be impressed if it locked up, as long as a restart is possible. I will be testing this sometime this week as I feel testing in a controlled way is important to understand the behaviour of the aircraft so when it does wrong I will have a fair understanding as to what will be happening!

I am always kind of spooked at losing connection to the controller. I very rarely use RTH, so for me some kind of control is key and I really think there should be a way to reboot the screen alone.
2019-1-21
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ran a test with the SRC this morning,

The RC is ready before the display boots up, so as soon as the remote connects (LED goes from red to green) the remote is communicating with the SRC. So you can power the motors (importantly, power them down) the aircraft can be flown before the APP on the control is started.

Flew the aircraft away over fields and at around 400m powered down the controller, as expected the aircraft initiated a RTH.

Repowered the controller and as soon as it connected started beeping indicating RTH in progress. The pause button on the control stopped the RTH. Again the aircraft could be flown on the controller.

So as long as you can see the aircraft then it can be flown without the APP running or assuming it’s locked up, without using the display.
2019-1-22
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

Thank you for sharing that @Buzzyone.  It's good to know this in advance so if it happens, you know how it will handle and you aren't freaking out.
2019-1-22
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

Great test, thanks for sharing.
2019-1-26
Use props
ElectricLife Atellani
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

Buzzyone Posted at 1-22 06:08
Ran a test with the SRC this morning,

The RC is ready before the display boots up, so as soon as the remote connects (LED goes from red to green) the remote is communicating with the SRC. So you can power the motors (importantly, power them down) the aircraft can be flown before the APP on the control is started.

Thanks, that is somehow slightly reassuring, although in my case the remote would not shut down, nor reboot, which would not impede to perform what you did in your test. I am just not comfortable shutting down remotes in flight, or trusting RTH 100%. I believe that a way to reboot the APP alone should be an essential part of the new remote.
2019-1-26
Use props
Mafia16
First Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Germany

ElectricLife Atellani Posted at 1-19 03:42
I tried right away, it just kept vibrating, without shutting down. I tried multiple combinations, but that was before updating it. I will try again.

i have the same problem, and i leave it rest and discharge.
2019-1-28
Use props
ElectricLife Atellani
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

Mafia16 Posted at 1-28 10:38
i have the same problem, and i leave it rest and discharge.

What if it happens in flight?
2019-1-28
Use props
Mafia16
First Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Germany

ElectricLife Atellani Posted at 1-28 11:13
What if it happens in flight?

Well imagine wait for RTH, yours are one of the beta ones right?, i hope DJI address these issues.
2019-1-28
Use props
ElectricLife Atellani
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

Mafia16 Posted at 1-28 11:25
Well imagine wait for RTH, yours are one of the beta ones right?, i hope DJI address these issues.

Not a beta...
2019-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules