Some rookie mistakes you can learn from
498 4 2019-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spandit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 65463 ft

United Kingdom

Was wondering why my photos were so washed out as to be almost unrecognisable. I had everything in AUTO (W/B etc.) but they still looked like this:

Washed out

Washed out

It's overcast today but that makes it look like bright sunshine. Was wondering whether I needed to go and buy a filter until I noticed that I had obviously been fiddling with the right hand dial which turns the EV up and down. It was way up. Turning it back to normal levels (zero), the photographs started looking more like this:

DJI_0383.JPG

It's not an easy setting to see. It does appear on the Go4 screen but in a tiny font. I know I can go full manual control but at this stage, the automatic tools are very useful.

Secondly, I had the low battery warning so brought the drone back to close to the home point. Thought I'd hover it a few feet above the ground to see what happened. After a minute or so the critical battery warning went off and the drone started climbing to RTH height (150 feet) as well as heading off in a random direction. I took it back under manual control and landed it myself so don't know how high it would have got. Obviously not close enough to the home point as I'd thought - certainly within 10 feet, though.

Thirdly, with a fresh battery in, thought I'd take a nice panoramic picture of the front of my house. It meant crossing the road. I did so and took off but the climb rate caught me out and I actually pruned a few twigs off a tree before the drone crashed. Fortunately, there didn't seem to be any damage and subsequent hovering with much more careful climbing gave me the photos I wanted. As far as I know, one can't select tripod mode until airborne - it's one mode I haven't played with yet. I think the auto take off where it hovers about 4 feet up would have been a better option rather than manual take off.

Anyway, Acer Iconia tablet still working well with minimal lag. Batteries now on charge for more playing later on!

2019-1-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day spandit. Thank you for sharing your experience with us today. And while reading your post I am sorry to know that you have hit and crashed your drone after hitting some twigs. If you have any issue with your drone on your next flights. Please feel free to contact DJI Support at https://www.dji.com/support for us to help you. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-1-18
Use props
spandit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 65463 ft

United Kingdom

It's testamount to how well they're built that it wasn't damaged. Expensive way to do topiary, though!
2019-1-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Never too old to learn!
2019-1-18
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing.
All of us at one time have made the same mistake.
I keep making the mistake of when I am filming in Manual I fiddle with the camera setting dial or hit C2 button that is set for gimbal up and down.

2019-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules