P4P Shutter confusion
7692 13 2019-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anokadrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

I have been trying to filter through the noise regarding the shutter on the P4P (V1).  From what I have been able to gather, the "mechanical" shutter is only applicable to still photos and does not apply to videos.  However, I am seeing claims made that the mechanical shutter will help reduce or eliminate the "rollling shutter" effects like distorted images and jello in video shooting.  I also see statements saying that it is not logistically possible for the P4P camera to have a truely mechanical shutter for video.   So the big question in my mind is what kind of shutter does this beast really have?  Rolling, global, mechanical or all of the above?  (and how does it work?)
(apologies if it seems I might be beating a dead horse)
2019-1-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It has both but the mechanical shutter can only be used for stills and only if you enable it in the camera settings.
2019-1-18
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4

United States

Labroides Posted at 1-18 15:40
It has both but the mechanical shutter can only be used for stills and only if you enable it in the camera settings.

So the statement  that "the mechanical shutter will help reduce or eliminate the "rolling shutter" effects like distorted images and jello in video" is pure BS.  No two ways about it.   That's why you never hear anything out of DJI when the discussion is brought up.  Just let them all wonder......

2019-1-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Anokadrone Posted at 1-19 03:10
So the statement  that "the mechanical shutter will help reduce or eliminate the "rolling shutter" effects like distorted images and jello in video" is pure BS.  No two ways about it.   That's why you never hear anything out of DJI when the discussion is brought up.  Just let them all wonder......

Correct, the sensor needs to be a different, and more expensive type with what is called a 'Global Shutter'. The ones used in the DJI aircraft have Rolling Shutters.
2019-1-19
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4

United States

Thank you Geebax for clearing it up for me.  There is so much information out there that it can get confusing keeping it all straight.  
2019-1-22
Use props
JeffreyS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71936 ft
United States

Without actual descriptions of the differences and how each type works, all this info is useless.
2019-1-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

JeffreyS Posted at 1-22 14:01
Without actual descriptions of the differences and how each type works, all this info is useless.

Then ask specific questions and we will try to answer them.
2019-1-22
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4

United States

You can Google "rolling shutter" and you can Google "global shutter" and also "mechanical shutter".  There are some very good explanations out there about them and how they work.  Also the implications of each when taking still photos and videos.  The implications are profound and discussion is very long winded.  If you are truly interested you should do some research first and then make your determination about whether or not the "info is useless".  
2019-1-23
Use props
P4P+_Brazil
lvl.4
Brazil

Google it.
2019-1-23
Use props
JeffreyS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71936 ft
United States

According to the DJI User Manual for my P4P Pro V2, the camera has a mechanical shutter to avoid "rolling shutter distortion " effect when capturing stills of fast moving objects.  I believe the app gives me a choice of mechanical or electronic shutter. Googling all the other shutter modes may be interesting, but they do not apply to my craft, thank you.
2019-1-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

JeffreyS Posted at 1-23 15:56
According to the DJI User Manual for my P4P Pro V2, the camera has a mechanical shutter to avoid "rolling shutter distortion " effect when capturing stills of fast moving objects.  I believe the app gives me a choice of mechanical or electronic shutter. Googling all the other shutter modes may be interesting, but they do not apply to my craft, thank you.

You are half-way there.
Your camera has mechanical shutter which you can enable/disable in the app and it has the (electronic) rolling shutter .
When you enable the mechanical shutter, it is used for stills only
All video is shot with the rolling shutter.
2019-1-23
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>
United States

Most digital cameras, DSLR 35mm or Medium format offer both a ES (electronic shutter) and Mechanical shutter (focal plane).

You will get rolling shutter effect with both stills and video with a ES, mainly with objects that are moving across the field of view.  With stills, easy to see the effect of ES on props, (on a drone or plane), cars, sometimes people.  Wind driven things like leaves most often will not be effected.  

The ES scans the entire sensor and then the readout is read to the card.  So as the read is being done, larger moving objects will be given the rolling shutter effect.  

Different cameras have different readout speeds, and some do excellent work.  You also currently can't sync a flash with a global shutter, instead you need a Leaf shutter (MF) up to 1/2000 of a sec or standard focal plane shutter 1/250.  

For the P4, Pro having the Focal place shutter is an advantage and I use it exclusively on stills.  

As previously mentioned currently all video cameras use Electronic shutters, currently the only way you can 30fps or 60fps etc for video work.  

In theory a Global shutter will eliminate the issues of readout and movement but it's a long way off for consumer level cameras.  Several camera companies have them in the works currently.

So back to the OP, yes the Mechanical/focal plane shutter will eliminate the effect of rolling shutter on stills, only.  

Paul C
2019-1-29
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4

United States

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.  I am relatively new to the digital photography world but learning fast.  I have been tempted to buy a DSLR however my phone camera at 12 M takes great shots for work stuff mostly up close and into the macro realm a little.   
2019-1-30
Use props
CHASCOADMIN
lvl.4
United States

Anokadrone Posted at 1-19 03:10

That's because DJI knows nothing about mapping or photogrammetry. Obviously you need to see some of the algorithms that are used to correct the rolling shutter in mapping. When you are moving and taking constant pictures it can get pretty bad.
2019-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules