Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gimbal spaz/ error when doing parallax/orbit/rotation movements p...
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CreativeVisions
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1033255 ft
United States

Hello all I'm coming here to see if anyone has ever had this problem before or knows how to fix this. I have a phantom 4 pro, all software, firmware, everything up to date and calibrated visions system, gimbal, imu, and compass all properly. Also I have reset to factory settings. When I go to do movement with left joystick (camera) one way, and the right joystick (drone flight path) the opposite way my camera/gimbal just spaz's out and looks to fall or roll to the side. I've provided a video via youtube link. Any help is very appreciated. If you have any questions ask away and ill do my best to answer.

*EDIT* There was 0 wind present when this happen!

2019-1-18
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha CV,

Great observation!  My P4 Pro has been doing that but I did not realize that was the stick combination until you pointed it out.  Now that I think about it, that was what I was doing when it happened.  I will be testing this ASAICF (As Soon As I Can Fly), like ASAP but with Phantom limits.

BTW, my Mavic Air has occasionally done that also and I was wondering about that.  What you are describing is the "Strafing" or "Sliding" maneuver.  I love that maneuver!  It also makes for great video.

My P4 Pro never used to do that and I use that maneuver all the time (or so it seemed).  I kept thinking the "spaz" result was due to wind overwhelming the gimbal motors, so I would reduce the intensity of the maneuver.  I am really looking forward to testing out your comment on stick use, sliding and strafing.

Mahalo for the help!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-18
Use props
CreativeVisions
lvl.1
United States

Thank you for the reply, hope we can get this figured out. By the way just so everyone knows there was 0 wind present
2019-1-19
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

CreativeVisions Posted at 1-19 05:52
Thank you for the reply, hope we can get this figured out. By the way just so everyone knows there was 0 wind present

Aloha CV,

Yes, this would happen with no wind as you noted.  But for me it always happened with wind because I live on the Windward Side of Oahu.

I am looking forward to flying tomorrow and testing this.  The weather is forecast to be good flying weather - almost no wind!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-20
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

CreativeVisions Posted at 1-19 05:52

Aloha CV,

Well, try as I might, I had a hard time getting the gimbal to fail.  Very little wind and beautiful conditions but I was only able to get it to fail a couple or three times.  It looks like another nice day tomorrow so maybe I can try again.  (I also had some pre-planned flights to do today.)

But, yes, you are not "seeing things".   My P4 Pro does that to.

One other thing that makes this an interesting challenge is that it involves complex compound maneuvers.  Those are fun to do and produce very nice video.  So practicing those maneuvers will reproduce the gimbal fail at some point.  Then maybe I will be able to reliably reproduce it.

The problem involves more than strafing or slide maneuvers because it turns out that those maneuvers are not that complex and are actually single stick maneuvers.  As I thought back about having the problem a couple months ago, I remember that I was trying to go into the position to slide and was yawing to get there and was beginning the slide.  That is when it happened and it was real bad.  I must say that it seems to be getting better.

After those events, I did calibrate my IMU.  BTW, in my opinion, it is good to calibrate your IMU at the drop of a hat, but that philosophy was developed when the IMU calibration only involved setting your Phantom on a perfectly level surface and let it do its thing.  Now it is a bit more complex.  If your P4 Pro is doing it real bad, try an IMU calibration and let me know if it gets better.

I will stay in touch with you on this.  It is an interesting challenge and I am sure we can figure it out.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-21
Use props
CreativeVisions
lvl.1
United States

Thanks again for the response, but I will say my IMU was calibrated perfectly. After the flight when I got back home, I also re calibrated everything. IMU, compass, gimbal, vision system, all my software is up to date, apps, iPad, and even reset the drone to factory settings. After I did all this and tested it again, it still does it at the same rate it was. No more, no less.
2019-1-21
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

CreativeVisions Posted at 1-21 07:09
Thanks again for the response, but I will say my IMU was calibrated perfectly. After the flight when I got back home, I also re calibrated everything. IMU, compass, gimbal, vision system, all my software is up to date, apps, iPad, and even reset the drone to factory settings. After I did all this and tested it again, it still does it at the same rate it was. No more, no less.

Aloha CV,

Between "Factory Settings" and the current firmware is where the problem is.  You need to update everything - app and firmware - to the most current updates available.  DJI is working on the problems and the solutions are in the new releases.  

Be sure to check if the manual gimbal setting is zeroed out.  The gimbal manual setting is where I think the problem is and where DJI may have made a firmware or app repair but I am still working on this.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-21
Use props
CreativeVisions
lvl.1
United States

I don't know how else to say it... For the third time now, everything is up to date and re calibrated. The app, the iOs device, the drone and controller firmware, all calibrated imu, vision system, gimbal, compass. Also I have noticed that when I let the drone hove and spin it around to face the opposite direction the horizon becomes tilted and way off.
2019-1-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

CreativeVisions Posted at 1-22 13:09
I don't know how else to say it... For the third time now, everything is up to date and re calibrated. The app, the iOs device, the drone and controller firmware, all calibrated imu, vision system, gimbal, compass. Also I have noticed that when I let the drone hove and spin it around to face the opposite direction the horizon becomes tilted and way off.

Aloha CV,

Somehow, you are not up-to-date.  That used to be my problem before I did some recent updates along with the gimbal spaz attack.  That is why I was doing the manual gimbal leveling.  Then when I zeroed out the manual gimbal level and did an IMU calibration followed by a Gimbal Calibration, everything started working again.  But, I was not really up-to-date even though I thought I was.

One thing I did recently was go into "About" and click on each "Check for Updates" option.  This was after updating  the DJI GO 4 app to the latest version.  Be sure you have a rock solid Internet connection when you do this.  If one update stalls for more than three minutes, cancel it and go on to the next one.  Then when you are down to the bottom, go back to the ones that stalled.  In my case they then went in easy.

The only benefit to "reset to factory settings" is that it gives you a location to start with the updates.  So are you up-to-date?  Or are you reset to factory settings.  They are different ends of the yardstick.  

If you reset to factory settings and update the firmware out of step, there will be no end of problems you will have to deal with.  The app and the firmware have to be updated together or they get out of whack with each other and cause problems.  When I had your problems, I updated everything to the latest and it is now very hard to recreate the problems I used to have and you are now having.

The Release Notes below are a starting point to update further in lock step to avoid problems.  A good source for getting out of sequence apps and firmware is PhantomHelp.Com.  (BTW, PhantomHelp.Com is full of good information and resources.)  DJI tends to only have the latest versions.

Phantom 4 Pro/Pro+ Release Notes

Date : 2018.03.08

Aircraft Firmware : V 01.05.0600

Phantom 4 Pro Remote Controller Firmware : V 1.4.1.0

DJI GO 4 App iOS : V 4.2.6

Another way to get a proper update is to use the DJI Assistant 2.  The latest version is - DJI Assistant 2 For Phantom v2.0.6.

The reason you want the latest version of Assistant 2 is because DJI puts the latest updates in the latest versions of Assistant 2.  Visitors to the Forum often complain that their Phantom does not connect, get recognized or have a firmware update, etc. with their Assistant 2.  When we look into the problem, it often turns out that they were using earlier versions of Assistant 2.  The earlier versions do not have the latest information or firmware and sometimes create connectivity issues.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-23
Use props
CreativeVisions
lvl.1
United States

Im not exactly sure what you are talking about with reset to factory setting and being up to date. You may be confused, but you can be completely up to date and have factory settings. By factory settings, I do not mean factory firmwares and calibrations. I guess I should have also stated that I got my drone back for repair from DJI 2 months prior who stated my drone is "Good as new, and working in perfect condition". But when I got it back from them it still did this problem. So you're telling me that DJI wouldn't have properly done all this or had it set up like that? Anyways, here's a screenshot to show you I am completely up to date. My APP firmware is 4.3.1, even more current then the 4.2.6 that you're claiming is the most up to date.

2019-1-23
Use props
CreativeVisions
lvl.1
United States

Also, I have tested with the gimbal zero'd out. This problem still occurs. Not only does it still occur, but my horizon level will be horribly off andI would never even think about producing a video as such for a professional client with a horrible un level horizon like it produces.
2019-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules