Airplane boneyard. Would you guys fly here?
3356 18 2019-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does this look legal to fly? Tucson, AZ. I'm including some screenshots from UAV forecast where you can see some areas fall outside the NFZ.
Screenshot_20190119-134301.png
2019-1-19
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Zoomed out
Screenshot_20190119-134231.png
2019-1-19
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

You can see a large area to the East doesn't technically fall in the NFZ.
2019-1-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Bing Err. Thank you for the inquiry. You may try to use this DJI official link to check if the said area is a NFZ are or if the area is free zone to fly in. I hope this helps. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2019-1-19
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-19 12:16
Hello and good day Bing Err. Thank you for the inquiry. You may try to use this DJI official link to check if the said area is a NFZ are or if the area is free zone to fly in. I hope this helps. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Thanks Stephen. Looks like they added a restricted area sticking off the east side to cover that area. Anyone know who do contact or if they grant permissions to fly over it. Thanks
added restriction.jpg
2019-1-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Bing Err Posted at 1-19 12:54
Thanks Stephen. Looks like they added a restricted area sticking off the east side to cover that area. Anyone know who do contact or if they grant permissions to fly over it. Thanks

You are very much welcome Bing Err. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-1-19
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

OK, so here's my last idea but not sure if it's worth driving all the way from Phoenix (since we're only there 4 days). Fly just outside the NFZ and point the gimbal in towards the airplane graveyard. Should be legal. Looks like this flight path is about 3000-4000 feet long.
possible flight path.png
2019-1-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Doubtful.
Depends on the air traffic there.
Plus I would contact the port.
2019-1-20
Use props
HH1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Perhaps I am wrong but, I would think they have a runway there for aircraft coming in to take residence, which would make it a no fly zone or at least a waver.  Seems you could call an FAA office and see if you could get the phone number of that place and call them.  Not like there are a lot of them around
2019-1-20
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

HH1 Posted at 1-20 14:51
Perhaps I am wrong but, I would think they have a runway there for aircraft coming in to take residence, which would make it a no fly zone or at least a waver.  Seems you could call an FAA office and see if you could get the phone number of that place and call them.  Not like there are a lot of them around

I think DJI Stephens link gives the best NFZ map. As you can see from 3 posts up there is a blue and gray area that covers the runway. I think If I fly the orange line proposed flight that I marked it's completely out of the restrictions. Thanks for your input. I don't really want to call the airplane graveyard as it's run by the airforce and I DOUBT they's give permission to fly over any part of their base.
2019-1-20
Use props
TheVegeta1974
First Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

Yes id fly ur drone here
2019-1-22
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

The only problem I see here for flying is that the Airplane graveyard outside of Tucson, Arizona, is situated on the Davis-Monthan Air Force Base.
Not sure if the Military will give you permission to fly there.
I know they give tours so it won't hurt to ask.
2019-1-22
Use props
bnsrx
New

United States

Last time I visited I asked their public affairs unit if I could fly a drone there. They very pointedly said "the most we can say is 'please don't'". This was a few years ago, though.
2019-12-4
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

That's a sweet shot, though, that extended NFZ answers the question.  I won't lie, if an area is technically and legally NOT in an NFZ and the footage is great material, I'd go for it.  You gotta take advantage of moments in photography and videography.
2019-12-13
Use props
Rider51
lvl.1
United States

I'm actually going to be there in 1-2 weeks. I may try taking my Mini2 along the path Bing Err shows. Along E. Irvington Rd, probably less than 200' off the ground, and see if I can get one single back and forth tracking shot along that line, looking south.

I might chicken out. From everything I can tell, this would be 100% legal, as I would not be in the NFZ, and not flying over USAF property. But what I don't want is to spend an hour proving this to someone from law enforcement, USAF security, etc.
2022-1-18
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rider51 Posted at 1-18 21:28
I'm actually going to be there in 1-2 weeks. I may try taking my Mini2 along the path Bing Err shows. Along E. Irvington Rd, probably less than 200' off the ground, and see if I can get one single back and forth tracking shot along that line, looking south.

I might chicken out. From everything I can tell, this would be 100% legal, as I would not be in the NFZ, and not flying over USAF property. But what I don't want is to spend an hour proving this to someone from law enforcement, USAF security, etc.

You probably made the right call to chicken out.  This definitely falls under the "don't be that guy" concept.
2022-1-19
Use props
Rider51
lvl.1
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 1-19 00:54
You probably made the right call to chicken out.  This definitely falls under the "don't be that guy" concept.

Yes, as the old saying goes, discretion is the better part of valor. I'll still likely drive by and stop, but if there's any doubt at all, I won't even consider flying there. Outside the NFZ or not.

Plenty of beautiful places to fly in Arizona and get amazing footage that is 100% legal, and doesn't bother anyone, or anything.
2022-1-19
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rider51 Posted at 1-19 10:29
Yes, as the old saying goes, discretion is the better part of valor. I'll still likely drive by and stop, but if there's any doubt at all, I won't even consider flying there. Outside the NFZ or not.

Plenty of beautiful places to fly in Arizona and get amazing footage that is 100% legal, and doesn't bother anyone, or anything.

I could not agree more!  Lots of beauty here.  Your post caught my eye because I was literally just in Tucson (passed through on way to do some filming for a land buyer) and my son suggested we stop at a restaurant there.  Our route took us right past the boneyard and I had the same thoughts about how cool it would be to run some video through there.

Incidentally, the restaurant was called Divine Bovine Burgers, and the burgers were amazing and the home made tater tots out of this world.  
2022-1-19
Use props
Rider51
lvl.1
United States

Update: I just visited this area. It was immediately apparent once arriving I would not try to fly a drone here, that it could be a bad idea, and I'd strongly recommend no one do so. Even though it's apparently legal along E. Irvington. Here's why I immediately decided against it:

• While this is a "boneyard" it's connected to an ACTIVE Air Force Base. There are aircraft taking off and landing all the time from nearby Davis-Monthan USAF base. No, your drone wouldn't get in their way, but...

• There was construction going on at the end of the boneyard.

• There were both vehicles, and individuals working within the boneyard, including a survey team. Not a lot of people, but a few could be seen.

• There are signs all over the place letting you know this is part of the USAF base. Put another way, in case you're a total idiot, this is not just some airplanes out in the middle of the desert, this place belongs to the USAF, has security, cameras, dogs, etc. keeping US military aircraft secure.

• One security SUV of some sort drove by the outside perimeter on Irvington, I didn't get a close look at the sign on it's door, what branch.  It seemed obvious though that's what this person's job was.

Are you getting the idea? What I'm saying is that if you were to fly a drone here, it's pretty likely the drone would be seen by a few people. Would they send security or police to you and try to find out what the hell you're doing? Maybe. Is that worth the risk to you?

Next. I question whether you'd really get any decent footage. The airplanes are set back a little more than you may think. I suppose you could get one shot, lasting maybe 10 seconds, from a couple hundred feet up, seeing them in the distance a little. But what's the point? What are you going to use this footage for? A reel? To show what? To appeal to what kind of client? The best footage, without question, would be to fly directly over the boneyard. If you really  want such footage, I'd start the process now of contacting the USAF, and maybe, if you're really patient, and persistant, you can get some sort of approval down the line.

Finally, I'm not some kind of right-wing nutjob, but I am a little patriotic. It was cool just being there, seeing those aircraft with my own eyes. It made for a nice walk, and a little sense of wonder. That's what I'd recommend anyone do if they are thinking of visiting.
IMG_7501.jpeg
IMG_7505.jpeg
IMG_7498.jpeg
IMG_7514.jpeg
2022-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules