New Canadian Aviation Regulations
2171 17 2019-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
walttheartist
lvl.4
Flight distance : 46696 ft
Canada

The new Canadian Aviation Regulations take effect in June, 2019. Pilots of RPAS (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS)) must have at least a Basic pilot's license to fly in unrestricted Canadian air space.  That just about covers any drone that's worth flying. Aircraft that are exempt include those below 250g (Micro Drones - no license) and over 25kg (heavy duty commercial craft - special advanced license).

Urban areas like Oshawa, Ontario (my city) have passed regulations that prohibit flying within 9 k of any airport, sport stadium etc. Given that many of these restricted areas overlap, leaves very limited air space to fly in unless we travel to the countryside. I thought I might buy an Air or Spark to replace my Mavic 2 Pro, but I see that their weights are just above the Canadian limits as well.

I believe that many countries will be constraining drone flying, with similar, stringent limitations as that of Canada's, in the near future. I think this knee-jerk response was given impetus  by the brain dead idiots in Gatwick, London, who seem to have caught the what-if imagination of many Air Administrators in various countries. Many of the concerns seem to be centred around Fly-Away craft that have landed in airports and other public places. Here's a challenge to DJI. Would you consider making a drone that falls below the 250g limit, with a quality 3 gimbal camera, and all the advanced Return-To-Home and other safety features of the Mavic 2?

However Air Regulators aren't fools and would probably incorporate the smaller sizes into the restricted category. What we really need is a craft that has similar accident mitigating features as autonomous driven cars. However I'll settle for a drone under 250 g with a good camera.
2019-1-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day walttheartist. Thank you for sharing this informative information regarding the new Canadian Aviation Rules and Regulations. This information will be a very big help for all our Canadian DJI members and customers. Thank you for your support.
2019-1-19
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10337090 ft
Canada

have you taken the test yet?
2019-1-20
Use props
walttheartist
lvl.4
Canada

Picanoc Jack Posted at 1-20 07:09
have you taken the test yet?

Yes I tried the test and failed miserably. I thought the questions would just be based on common sense knowledge, but they were more involved than that. You need to read the "Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) (TP 15263) - Transport Canada". This is just a reference to the reading material in  CARs. I think I'll phone a training school and pick up a handbook or two instead of searching through the CARs manual (huge). Transport Canada should make a simple Drone Pilot handbook for Basic and Advanced licenses available.
2019-1-20
Use props
Nicoricosancho
First Officer
Flight distance : 13196 ft
Canada

i posted a link earlier this month on here : a guide to pass certification, i passed mine first try with this trick, ill post link on here
2019-1-20
Use props
Nicoricosancho
First Officer
Flight distance : 13196 ft
Canada

https://forum.dji.com/thread-177763-1-1.html
2019-1-20
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Canada

walttheartist Posted at 1-20 07:49
Yes I tried the test and failed miserably. I thought the questions would just be based on common sense knowledge, but they were more involved than that. You need to read the "Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) (TP 15263) - Transport Canada". This is just a reference to the reading material in  CARs. I think I'll phone a training school and pick up a handbook or two instead of searching through the CARs manual (huge). Transport Canada should make a simple Drone Pilot handbook for Basic and Advanced licenses available.

Don’t feel bad so did I the first time 62% but passed it the second time around,  like I said in my thread I didn’t anticipate that some of the questions would be so difficult.
2019-1-20
Use props
walttheartist
lvl.4
Canada

Picanoc Jack Posted at 1-20 18:31
Don’t feel bad so did I the first time 62% but passed it the second time around,  like I said in my thread I didn’t anticipate that some of the questions would be so difficult.

Huzzah! I passed the second time as well. I noticed that the questions were different on the second test. I guess Transport Canada rotates the test questions every twenty four hours. It would be helpful if TC produced a study book for would be Drone pilots for both Basic and Advanced licenses.
2019-1-22
Use props
jyc
First Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

walttheartist Posted at 1-22 12:25
Huzzah! I passed the second time as well. I noticed that the questions were different on the second test. I guess Transport Canada rotates the test questions every twenty four hours. It would be helpful if TC produced a study book for would be Drone pilots for both Basic and Advanced licenses.

Good for you! You made it.
2019-1-22
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Canada

walttheartist Posted at 1-22 12:25
Huzzah! I passed the second time as well. I noticed that the questions were different on the second test. I guess Transport Canada rotates the test questions every twenty four hours. It would be helpful if TC produced a study book for would be Drone pilots for both Basic and Advanced licenses.

All right!  So we’re ok for 2 years, I just might hit the books and try the advance test.
2019-1-22
Use props
jyc
First Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

Picanoc Jack Posted at 1-22 15:21
All right!  So we’re ok for 2 years, I just might hit the books and try the advance test.

For the advanced test you need pretty good training, Until the aircraft requirements change you have to buy a very expensive aircraft.  

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services ... ng-right-drone.html

If something that costs less than $5000 CAD is approved it will be a game changer.

https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... new-safety-standard
2019-1-22
Use props
TheVegeta1974
First Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

Whats the drone regulation like in china?
2019-1-22
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

walttheartist Posted at 1-20 07:49
Yes I tried the test and failed miserably. I thought the questions would just be based on common sense knowledge, but they were more involved than that. You need to read the "Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) (TP 15263) - Transport Canada". This is just a reference to the reading material in  CARs. I think I'll phone a training school and pick up a handbook or two instead of searching through the CARs manual (huge). Transport Canada should make a simple Drone Pilot handbook for Basic and Advanced licenses available.

This you tube might help:

2019-1-23
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

ssylca44 Posted at 1-23 14:44
This you tube might help:

Great video. I just completed my test and got 80%. If anyone wants any advise, I'd be happy to help. Just don't ask me about the wrong 20% lol.
2019-2-9
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Canada

TrevorSK Posted at 2-9 01:26
Great video. I just completed my test and got 80%. If anyone wants any advise, I'd be happy to help. Just don't ask me about the wrong 20% lol.

great score congratulations Trevor
2019-2-9
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2-9 01:36
great score congratulations Trevor

Was just reading your post, where you mentioned taking the advanced test. Would like to hear how that goes. Don't know anyone who's taken it yet.
2019-2-9
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Canada

TrevorSK Posted at 2-9 01:48
Was just reading your post, where you mentioned taking the advanced test. Would like to hear how that goes. Don't know anyone who's taken it yet.

for future references, yes I would appreciate hearing from someone who took the test.
2019-2-9
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Canada

TrevorSK Posted at 2-9 01:48

one chap was suppose to be taking the test but I haven't heard from him if indeed he took the test or passed it.
2019-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules