Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Focus Wheel - Remap to Aperture/Shutter
6455 23 2019-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sky_makai
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3397539 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi,
I'm wondering if the Focus Wheel on the Ronin-S will possibly get some function options added in future firmware.  As it is, it's useless to me with the Sony A7III, and I've taken it off of the Ronin-S.  I accidentally bumped it, causing the digital zoom to activate, locking me out of the autofocus tracking mode I was using.  
I couldn't figure out any way to disable the Focus Wheel, without removing it.
However, if it could be remapped to Shutter or Aperture, both controllable via remote apps on the Sony A7III, the Focus Wheel would be extremely useful!!
Perhaps in a future firmware update??

Thank you,
Sky Makai
2019-1-19
Use props
yogafilm38
lvl.2
Austria

+1 as of now it only makes sense with the focus motor.. make it useful for other stuff as well
2019-1-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Sky Makai, sorry for the inconvenience caused by the Focus Wheel and appreciate your suggestion, it can be used to control the zoom with the Sony cameras at the moment, if you don't want to use this feature, please disable the 'Digital Zoom' in your camera's settings.
If you would like to control the focus, iris, Focus Motor will need to be used together with the Ronin-S Focus Wheel, thanks for your understanding.
2019-1-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

yogafilm38 Posted at 1-20 12:46
+1 as of now it only makes sense with the focus motor.. make it useful for other stuff as well

Hi yes, the Focus Wheel will need to be used with Focus Motor together to control the focus and iris, your suggestion will be forwarded to our engineers for consideration.
2019-1-20
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-20 19:40
Hi Sky Makai, sorry for the inconvenience caused by the Focus Wheel and appreciate your suggestion, it can be used to control the zoom with the Sony cameras at the moment, if you don't want to use this feature, please disable the 'Digital Zoom' in your camera's settings.
If you would like to control the focus, iris, Focus Motor will need to be used together with the Ronin-S Focus Wheel, thanks for your understanding.

Thanks, Mindy.  I'm aware of the compatibility as of yet, and that I can disable digital zoom.  Still, this makes the focus wheel useless unless it is used with the focus motor.  I personally do not want/need the focus motor for focus-racking.  

What I do want/need is an easier way to adjust settings on the camera.
I'd really like for the focus wheel to be able to do more, controlling other functions of the camera, including shutter speed, aperture, and ISO.

Sony's API allows apps to control those settings.  So, it makes sense that the Ronin-S should be able to do so.
2019-1-21
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

yogafilm38 Posted at 1-20 12:46
+1 as of now it only makes sense with the focus motor.. make it useful for other stuff as well

Thanks for chiming in, Yogafilm38.
2019-1-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

sky_makai Posted at 1-21 11:35
Thanks, Mindy.  I'm aware of the compatibility as of yet, and that I can disable digital zoom.  Still, this makes the focus wheel useless unless it is used with the focus motor.  I personally do not want/need the focus motor for focus-racking.  

What I do want/need is an easier way to adjust settings on the camera.

We really appreciate your feedback, your suggestion has been forwarded to our engineers for attention in the future development, we will keep improving our products to make you have a better experience.
2019-1-21
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-21 23:19
We really appreciate your feedback, your suggestion has been forwarded to our engineers for attention in the future development, we will keep improving our products to make you have a better experience.

Great.  I appreciate it and hope the engineers deem this request worthy of their time.  
Making the products more useful in the hands of the user, when possible, should be a high priority.
2019-1-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

sky_makai Posted at 1-22 10:05
Great.  I appreciate it and hope the engineers deem this request worthy of their time.  
Making the products more useful in the hands of the user, when possible, should be a high priority.

Improving customers' experience is always our high priority, thanks for your support to DJI.
2019-1-22
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-22 20:22
Improving customers' experience is always our high priority, thanks for your support to DJI.

That's great to hear.  I look forward to progress with updating the options for the Ronin-S.

Is there a way to help the engineering team prioritize new features?
2019-1-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

sky_makai Posted at 1-23 10:24
That's great to hear.  I look forward to progress with updating the options for the Ronin-S.

Is there a way to help the engineering team prioritize new features?

We can only forward your need to them, our engineers will decide if it is necessary to add according to the products' performance and their development plan and the value of this feature.
2019-1-24
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-24 00:53
We can only forward your need to them, our engineers will decide if it is necessary to add according to the products' performance and their development plan and the value of this feature.

I appreciate it.  Shooting with the Ronin-S, I continually reach for the Focus Wheel and Joystick, thinking they SHOULD be able to control my camera's ISO/Shutter/Aperture.  It feels natural that the Ronin-S do more than just start/stop record.  Thank you!
2019-1-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

sky_makai Posted at 1-24 10:25
I appreciate it.  Shooting with the Ronin-S, I continually reach for the Focus Wheel and Joystick, thinking they SHOULD be able to control my camera's ISO/Shutter/Aperture.  It feels natural that the Ronin-S do more than just start/stop record.  Thank you!

You are welcome, please note the future update.
2019-1-25
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-25 02:59

Future update?  I'll be looking for any new firmware updates.  But, how should I know when they're available?
2019-1-26
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-25 02:59

Future update?  I'll be looking for any new firmware updates.  But, how should I know when they're available?
2019-1-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

sky_makai Posted at 1-26 09:38

We will post release notes in Forum and our website when each firmware is released, please note it.
2019-1-28
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-28 00:27
We will post release notes in Forum and our website when each firmware is released, please note it.

Is there a mailing list to be notified?  
Does the Ronin app notify when there's a new firmware update?
2019-1-28
Use props
info0403
lvl.1
Greece

DJI Mindy Posted at 1-20 19:40

This doesn't work so well, because when I accidentally bump the focus wheel, I get an error message that this feature is not enabled in camera, and because the error message pops up, it hides the picture in monitor, eventually making me miss some shots. We really need a way to disable or even better remap the wheel (and its sensitivity) in the DJI Ronin-S app!!...
2019-1-29
Use props
InverseImaging
lvl.1

Australia

+1 for this feature! I also took the focus wheel off the Ronin-S. Would be awesome to control the IRIS with it!!! I'm also using it with the Sony a7III.  
2019-7-31
Use props
Artemidis
lvl.1

This is the number one feature I'm missing on the Ronin-S! Please add this feature for all cameras. If you are filming with manual settings (which most of us do) there is no chance to compensate the exposure without reaching to the camera and ruining the shot. I just need the option to change the ISO with the focus wheel. This would be such a great feature!
2019-9-11
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
  • >>>

Any news on this, @DJIMindy?
2019-9-23
Use props
Alboom
lvl.1
Taiwan

Hello everyone,

I would also like to add my voice here! This focus wheel controlling the iris... OMG this is absolutely NEEDED!! For those of us who shoot in AF (I believe most), please make this piece of hardware useful with that simple upgrade!

Can we have an update on progress here? The last reply from your side was quite a while back @DJI...

Thank you and keep up the great work!
2020-5-7
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

@DJIMindy any update??
2020-5-13
Use props
robertglotzbach
lvl.2
Netherlands

While shooting this morning, i came across the same problem; not beeing able to easely change ISO or Aperture.
So thought about checking if it would be possible to do this with the focus wheel, and voila many people came to the same solution :-)

So yes pleasse this is a MUST HAVE.

Regards, robert
2020-6-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules