Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Autonimous Flight App ?
1840 15 2019-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Manxmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Is it possible to utilise an Autonimous Flight App such as Pix4D on the P4P Plus ?

2019-1-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We would like to clarify if you mean installing a third-party application on the built-in remote controller? If yes, users can install third-party apps when the built-in screen remote controller is updated to the latest firmware. However, DJI cannot be held responsible for any compatibility issues or other problems that occur as a result. If you experience any problems after installing a third-party app, we recommend uninstalling the app and/or restoring the controller to its original factory settings. We do appreciate your understanding.
2019-1-20
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Tony Posted at 1-20 09:20
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We would like to clarify if you mean installing a third-party application on the built-in remote controller? If yes, users can install third-party apps when the built-in screen remote controller is updated to the latest firmware. However, DJI cannot be held responsible for any compatibility issues or other problems that occur as a result. If you experience any problems after installing a third-party app, we recommend uninstalling the app and/or restoring the controller to its original factory settings. We do appreciate your understanding.

OK DJI Tony, I understand.
I must check t make sure I have the latest firmware on the RC then.

Cheers

2019-1-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Manxmann Posted at 1-20 15:47
I must check t make sure I have the latest firmware on the RC then.

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, that's correct. Please always have a safe flight and avoid flying your drones in hazardous areas. Cheers!
2019-1-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Manxmann Posted at 1-20 15:47
I must check t make sure I have the latest firmware on the RC then.

Good luck with that.
DJI people here would be about the last people that would have any idea about your question.
The support information for Pix4D strongly suggests that their app isn't going to work with the plus and none of the other mapping apps do.
https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en- ... ted-by-Pix4Dcapture
https://support.dronedeploy.com/docs/supported-drones
2019-1-20
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

Labroides Posted at 1-20 20:43
Good luck with that.
DJI people here would be about the last people that would have any idea about your question.
The support information for Pix4D strongly suggests that their app isn't going to work with the plus and none of the other mapping apps do.

That looks good enough for me Labroides,  I am not into technical challenges.  So I reckon I'll let sleeping dogs lie.   I will just stick with manual flying
A neighbour suggested it,  he uses a P4P for work,  mapping etc.

2019-1-21
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 1-21 01:11
That looks good enough for me Labroides,  I am not into technical challenges.  So I reckon I'll let sleeping dogs lie.   I will just stick with manual flying
A neighbour suggested it,  he uses a P4P for work,  mapping etc.

Aloha Manx,

That is a bummer about the "Plus" Phantoms not being supported.   But, there may be alternatives.   For my needs, I started using Microsoft's free Image Composite Editor.  It is amazing.  As long as you keep the yaw oriented properly, you can composite images and even make larger "maps" of rows of photos.  In theory, you can export those composited images to one of the AutoDesk products like AutoCAD and it will make a 3D model out of it.

Just today, I flew over a new striping job of an intersection in our neighborhood and composited 4 photos into one photo like a Panorama.   It came out just the way I wanted it.  Great detail!

I have used Litchi to create a grid of dozens of photo points and composited giant "maps".  But then again, Litchi may not work on P4 Series "Plus" products.  One contributor to this Forum did say he was able to get Litchi to work on his "Plus" product but that would have to be investigated.

I started to do this when a friend's co-worker showed him the Pix4D trial.  I helped him get it to work on his Phantoms and realized I could mimic the process for free.  But, he has access to AutoCAD through the company he works and flies for.  I am out of luck in that respect.  But, I like my large photo-maps, great detail and zoom capability.  It looks like you were up a thousand or two feet but you fly at 200 or so feet to take the photos.

At a minimum, you can get your P4 Pro + (plus) to fly waypoints that have controlled YAW and take photos manually.  Then you can download them on to a computer and composite them with Microsoft's ICE.  But watch out for tall things like pine trees and buildings or structures.  You have to keep the parallax to a minimum where the photos overlap or the ICE program will reject the photos.

Just another way to use our birds!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-21
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 1-21 02:03
Aloha Manx,

That is a bummer about the "lus" Phantoms not being supported.   But, there may be alternatives.   For my needs, I started using Microsoft's free Image Composite Editor.  It is amazing.  As long as you keep the yaw oriented properly, you can composite images and even make larger "maps" of rows of photos.  In theory, you can export those composited images to one of the AutoDesk products like AutoCAD and it will make a 3D model out of it.

Thanks Cetacean,
I am quite happy to do it all 'manually'.     Whilst the end product is good to look at,  the method of achieving it is satisfying and as previously intimated,  I am definitley  NOT at the cutting edge of technology !    I just fly & film for fun,  but .................    Hahaha
2019-1-21
Use props
Mr B DK
New
Denmark

DJI Tony Posted at 1-20 09:20
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We would like to clarify if you mean installing a third-party application on the built-in remote controller? If yes, users can install third-party apps when the built-in screen remote controller is updated to the latest firmware. However, DJI cannot be held responsible for any compatibility issues or other problems that occur as a result. If you experience any problems after installing a third-party app, we recommend uninstalling the app and/or restoring the controller to its original factory settings. We do appreciate your understanding.

I´ve got the Phantom 4 Pro + with CS display, it really wonders me why you don´t make Ground Station Pro available for Phantom and Android or at least for the Chrystal Sky displays that people pay big dollars to have and use.
Ground station is really one of the cooles things you´ve developed please make it available to the Phantom and CS customers!
2019-1-21
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mr B DK Posted at 1-21 10:19
I´ve got the Phantom 4 Pro + with CS display, it really wonders me why you don´t make Ground Station Pro available for Phantom and Android or at least for the Chrystal Sky displays that people pay big dollars to have and use.
Ground station is really one of the cooles things you´ve developed please make it available to the Phantom and CS customers!

Aloha Mr B,

Do be aware that the CrystalSky monitors run on a specific DJI version of the Android Operating System.  The P4 Series Plus (+) Phantoms, with the screen borrowed from the CrystalSky 5.5 inch monitors, run on a different but specific DJI version of the Android Operating System.  The two versions are not similar enough to solve many of the problems we ask DJI to resolve using those screens.

Ground Station Pro evolved out of Ground Station which was developed on the Apple Operating System, iOS.  The world has developed and evolved since way back then (Phantom 2) and I am sure the propriety and secrecy in which Apple holds their operating system is part of the problem with adapting Ground Station Pro to the "Open Source" Android Operating System.

Another factor is that adapting GSP to the Android OS will take that DJI program out into the open source world which allows modification of the source code.  GSP is free from DJI but protected due to using the Apple Operating System.  DJI takes all these circumstances into consideration when they look at their customer base.  Already, their software has been hacked and hacked to the point that the US Army suspended all use of DJI hardware and software until DJI could provide better security.  Obviously this is a problem for both security and the bottom line.

On the other hand, there are other programs out there that allow mapping and model making.  (AutoDesk products can convert grid generated photos by multiple sources into 3D models that work on their own and other compatible software.)   They do cost and some are easier and / or better quality than others.  In my case, I use Litchi and DJI Waypoints to develop my own mapping grids and I have a third software (free) that I will be trying to see how useful it is in efforts like this.  

One of the real good benefits of this alternative approach is that Microsoft's Image Composite Editor (ICE), which is free, does a great job of compositing images generated with a grid program.  It also makes great Panoramas and composited road photos.  (See below - the original is way more sharp.)

So, I am sorry to say that your request may never come to fruition.  I hope I am wrong.  But, as much fun as it is developing my own grids and generating maps and composite photos, it would be much easier and faster if DJI did release an Android version of Ground Station Pro.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-21
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 1-21 02:18
Thanks Cetacean,
I am quite happy to do it all 'manually'.     Whilst the end product is good to look at,  the method of achieving it is satisfying and as previously intimated,  I am definitley  NOT at the cutting edge of technology !    I just fly & film for fun,  but .................    Hahaha

Aloha Manx,

Did you get to see my response to Mr. B (#10)?  I also posted one of my ICE images.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-1-23
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 1-23 01:23
Aloha Manx,

Did you get to see my response to Mr. B (#10)?  I also posted one of my ICE images.

Thanks Cetacean,  I just had a look at it now.  It seems like I will just keep doing what I am doing.  It's no worries,  I not a surveyor or into flying grids for other evaluations.  The fun is the flying & the satisfaction of doing it right..............  bit like fishing,  if you catch something - it's just a bonus !

Cheers
2019-1-23
Use props
GaSurveyor
lvl.2
United States

Hey Manxmann, I am a surveyor and have a p4p. I have used pix4d and drone deploy flight software. of the two I would recommend pix4d. I did first buy the built in screen and got screwed on that deal because it would not handle 3 party apps so i had to buy a new controller (without built in screen) and a tablet. Both apps worked great and produce great images which can then be processed into 3d maps, orthomosaics, and several different outputs. I believe from reading around the forum that even the controller with the built in screen can now be updated to handle third party apps. I will say that with drone deploy it does still have the option to use obstacle avoidance even in autonomous flight. I just like the 3d pattern that pix4d offers. Good luck!
2019-1-23
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4
Australia

GaSurveyor Posted at 1-23 05:16
Hey Manxmann, I am a surveyor and have a p4p. I have used pix4d and drone deploy flight software. of the two I would recommend pix4d. I did first buy the built in screen and got screwed on that deal because it would not handle 3 party apps so i had to buy a new controller (without built in screen) and a tablet. Both apps worked great and produce great images which can then be processed into 3d maps, orthomosaics, and several different outputs. I believe from reading around the forum that even the controller with the built in screen can now be updated to handle third party apps. I will say that with drone deploy it does still have the option to use obstacle avoidance even in autonomous flight. I just like the 3d pattern that pix4d offers. Good luck!

Many thanks GaSurveyor.
2019-1-23
Use props
Rogerio Queiroz
lvl.1
Brazil

Yes, is possible.
2019-1-24
Use props
Manxmann
lvl.4