Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
"Battery Damaged" error with brand new TB47
880 5 2019-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bnewman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5858143 ft
  • >>>
United States

About halfway in to the second flight with a new TB47 I get a red “Battery Damaged” Error at the top of the Go app.

Looking at the log I see numerous cell deviations throughout the last half of the flight, the highest being .224 V.

Also, the battery date of manufacture was 08/30/2017. So it’s been sitting around in a warehouse for > 1 year?!

This was the battery shipped with a DJI-refurbished Inspire 1 V2 purchased from their DJIOfficialStore (aka DroneNerds) on eBay.

I hate to be without the battery but I’m thinking I should seek a replacement from the DroneNerds or DJI.  
Is that what I should do?
2019-1-20
Use props
bnewman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

And the lowest battery temperature in the log was 65.9°F.
2019-1-21
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

it should still be under warranty if you just got it right? send it in, I had an issue with a TB47 also, granted it was maybe 4 months after purchase, batteries are warranted for 6 months. I got a new replacement within 3 weeks I think.
2019-1-23
Use props
bnewman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

mixchief Posted at 1-23 08:50
it should still be under warranty if you just got it right? send it in, I had an issue with a TB47 also, granted it was maybe 4 months after purchase, batteries are warranted for 6 months. I got a new replacement within 3 weeks I think.

DJI told me to send the battery to them for eval.  In the service request I mentioned that I received "Battery Damaged" error in the Go app during two flights and that cell voltage deviations in the log were > 200 mV.  

Apparently, they don't test batteries under load.  On their bench the cell voltages were within range and they received no error message so they called it good and sent it back.  This is per the online service request tracker and per a phone call with a service rep.  When I later voiced my concern via email that they need to test it under load to repeat the error the rep who responded said that the battery would be replaced under warranty.  It wasn't replaced.  They sent the defective unsafe battery back to me.  

I can't safely use this battery. I'm sure a red on-screen "Battery  Damaged" error will delight my clients -- and violate FAA safe operation  guidelines.
2019-2-20
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

bnewman Posted at 2-20 15:50
DJI told me to send the battery to them for eval.  In the service request I mentioned that I received "Battery Damaged" error in the Go app during two flights and that cell voltage deviations in the log were > 200 mV.  

Apparently, they don't test batteries under load.  On their bench the cell voltages were within range and they received no error message so they called it good and sent it back.  This is per the online service request tracker and per a phone call with a service rep.  When I later voiced my concern via email that they need to test it under load to repeat the error the rep who responded said that the battery would be replaced under warranty.  It wasn't replaced.  They sent the defective unsafe battery back to me.  

When I sent mine in, there was no progress report but within 4 weeks of having set it the progress was updated and the same day a new battery magically appeared in my mail box, don't freak, if they told you they are replacing it, they probably are, I got my old battery after the new one, about a week later.
2019-2-22
Use props
bnewman
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

mixchief Posted at 2-22 11:11
When I sent mine in, there was no progress report but within 4 weeks of having set it the progress was updated and the same day a new battery magically appeared in my mail box, don't freak, if they told you they are replacing it, they probably are, I got my old battery after the new one, about a week later.

They returned the battery to me saying nothing was wrong.

Now they’ve finally agreed to look at one of the flight records that shows the battery error after I kept insisting. They tell me the info has been forwarded to engineering.
2019-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules