Mavic Air discussion
1258 9 2019-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarylDixon
lvl.1

United States

Hello everyone,,
I am looking for people who own the Mavic Air to get opinions on it. Yes I have been on YouTube but many of those people received the unit for free or are diehard Mavic Pro users.
I am very close to purchasing the Air but I would love to hear your thoughts on it.
Range is not a big deal for me as in Canada we aren’t supposed to fly out of line of sight anyway.

2019-1-21
Use props
Jaket52
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I'm a newbie to all of this however I have the Mavic Air and have flown the Mavic Pro. I haven't had a great start to "drone life" with my MA, had quite a few issues and at times have slightly wished I got the Pro, however at the time I couldn't justify the price jump for what I use it for. I'm probably just unlucky however once I got passed the issues I had, it's very good! The only think I do regret is not getting the fly more combo.. once you have bought more batteries (which you will need), plus other bits, it adds way over the fly more bundle cost I found.
2019-1-21
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

To be honest I would normally suggest the air, but I feel like DJI has sorta left it to die.   It is a fantastic product  that deserves a lot more life and function  than DJI seems to be giving it.  As it is is plaques with small issues.  None on their own is a deal breaker but together make me sorta regret it.   Note: not saying don’t buy it, I’m just going to point out all the negitives so you aren’t surprised/upset and know what getting yourself into.

1.  Prop noise, it’s loud and high pitches screaming and I think unoptimized props, as common to get max motor speed warnings if you sport mode around.  

2. Battery life is decent but it could really done with a 4S battery because it has serious voltage sag issues as the battery gets weak, not much of a buffer if you overshoot estimates.

3. WiFi and signal  transmission needs more optimization.  It’s easy to cause lag and frame drops even out in remote areas, Range isn’t terrible but signal quality is seriously lacking.

4. Lack of what I think should been enabled toggles and sliders.  Like image quality toggles for live view, bandwidth adjustments, self discharge timer for batteries and several others I can go on and on about.

5. Wind resistance.  Yes it is capable of flying in stronger winds like 20+mph but it seems to slow waaaaaay down even in sport mode, this maybe down to the props though but it feels less wind resistant than mavic pro.

6.  Missing a Simple toggle for shortcut to shoot camera up and down so we can view landing location or inspect a Emergency spot if a failure.

7. Lack of dynamic homeooint for those of use who want to use active track and not worry about the aircraft returning back to initial location because it thinks it’s going to get low on power.

8. Lack of a digital zoom function for those of us who want to inspect things without endangering our drones getting tangled in the trees.

9. Broken interference graph and charge

10. Broken auto channel selection system..

11.  I haven’t slept so I’m blanking out but there are more annoyances..

But yes on their own and maybe handful at a time it’s a solid product and ya know what it is a solid product, the camera and product as a whole is amazing... but it’s a flawed product that can be fixed with a combination of a software update and new DJI designed quiet preformqnce props or something.. but these issues seem to forever go uncorrected.  
2019-1-21
Use props
Natter_07
lvl.2
Flight distance : 199242 ft
United Kingdom

I've only owned the MA and ive had it for just over 6 months. I love it.

Not able to compare to the MP or obviously the newer MP2 or Zoom.

The size is incredible, so small so its easy to take with you where ever you want to go. I got mine with the Fly More Combo so it came with the handy bag and multi charger etc. Definitely worthwhile!
I personally have had many issues with mine compared to the lots that people say about. Yes the signal can be abit patchy sometimes but im not planning to fly it 1.5km away from me and since changing to FCC Wifi its MUCH better.

It is noisy, but what drone isnt. No drone is going to be silent so thats not a big deal for me. Once its up in the air you wont hear it much anyway!

If i had the money now, i'd definitely go for a MP2 due to the enhancements and it being the newer drone etc. Mavic Air though is a brilliant start point for a 3-axis gimble and 4k footage!
2019-1-21
Use props
kovat53
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-21 04:12
To be honest I would normally suggest the air, but I feel like DJI has sorta left it to die.   It is a fantastic product  that deserves a lot more life and function  than DJI seems to be giving it.  As it is is plaques with small issues.  None on their own is a deal breaker but together make me sorta regret it.   Note: not saying don’t buy it, I’m just going to point out all the negitives so you aren’t surprised/upset and know what getting yourself into.

1.  Prop noise, it’s loud and high pitches screaming and I think unoptimized props, as common to get max motor speed warnings if you sport mode around.  

agree with all words.

I like my MA, but:

I had some problem occasionally: sometimes camera tilt button  moved AC
left /right. solved by reinstalling software/firmware, recalibratiing compass. And here is the yaw problem at least by me. And is really very noisy.
If you asked would I buy it again, I think I would take more money for MP 2. DJI cares it. MA is somehow a stepchild.
2019-1-21
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Love my Air.  I bought it on day 1 and have had no issues with it whatsoever. It’s really the perfect travel drone.  My only complaint is noise and the occasional signal hiccup, but it’s quite good compared to other WiFi drones.  
2019-1-21
Use props
Ken Storm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

Love the MA, not flown it loads, work commitments, and why is it weekends always seem windier than work days.

Waiting for calm weekends and brighter days here in the coastal UK.

Would I get another, sure, its size is great for a grab and go. I take it with me on days out regardless, just in case I get a chance.
2019-1-21
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for making this thread. We're hoping that you could get the best feedback that will help you to decide on purchasing our DJI Mavic Air. Please let us know if you need our assistance. Thank you for the support.
2019-1-21
Use props
Kevin79
lvl.4
Flight distance : 270899 ft
United States

I absolutely love my Mavic Air and have not had any issues with mine. It’s a great machine. The noise is louder than other drones, but like someone else touched on, you can hear ANY drone that is low to the ground. Once you are up in the air, you can’t really hear it anymore. If range and battery life aren’t of the upmost importance to you I would highly recommend the Mavic Air because the Air beats out the Mavic Pro and Mavic Platinum in just about every other category. For starters, You are getting a slightly better camera and higher bitrate than the Mavic Pro or Mavic Platinum. I’m assuming you aren’t really considering the Mavic 2 series at the moment?
2019-1-21
Use props
DarylDixon
lvl.1

United States

@Jaket52
I'm a newbie to all of this however I have the Mavic Air and have flown the Mavic Pro. I haven't had a great start to inro.in/gotomeeting/ "drone life" with my MA, had quite a few issues inro.in/irfanview/ and at times have slightly wished I got the Pro, however at the time I couldn't justify the price jump for what I use it for. I'm probably just unlucky however once I got passed the issues I had, it's very good! inro.in/town-of-salem/ The only think I do regret is not getting the fly more combo.. once you have bought more batteries (which you will need), plus other bits, it adds way over the fly more bundle cost I found.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My issue has been solved
Thank you......
2019-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules