Mavic 2 zoom or pro?
1344 28 2019-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DarylDixon
lvl.1

United States

Hello everyone,,
I'm new to photography and drones. I'm going to get a mavic 2 and leaning towards the zoom. Is there any reason to get the pro over the zoom? As for the cameras I'm indifferent I think ether will work for me. Any reason I should get the pro over the zoom?

2019-1-21
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

The Pro has a better sensor for low light conditions and I suppose, the H.265 filming only works with the Pro.
2019-1-21
Use props
kykmavic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

Camera of the M2P much better!
2019-1-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'd go for the M2P
2019-1-21
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Well the Pro version have a better camera, but it depend on how you wanna use it
2019-1-21
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

BTW welcome to the forum DarylDixon!
2019-1-21
Use props
ScanDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1026260 ft
United States

For me the zoom function was so essential i choose the Zoom, even knowing Pro can take better pictures/video especially in low light condition. But as stated before, its all about what you will use it for and in what condition. If awesome colors and shooting in low light, go with the Pro. But keep in mind to really use the Pro features quite a bit of post processing may be required. I "love" my M2Z and is using it's zoom function  every single flight. The 48 mpix is also useful in the M2Z. And it's cheaper, you can easily get an extra battery with the M2Z for the price of the M2P.  
2019-1-21
Use props
ColoradoBob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1601690 ft
United States

The Mavic Pro is the way to go - The Hasselblad camera, IMHO, blows away most DSLR's under 1000 dollars and most mirror less cameras too. The Sensor is the heart of the camera and if you want large image prints/reproductions you need the resolution the 1inch sensor delivers...a 1/2.3 inch sensor is ok if you have the computer horsepower to enhance it but the 1 inch delivers 4 times the resolution in a raw/dng format that has tons of detail everywhere that can be brought out in processing.
2019-1-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day DarylDixon. Thank you for choosing DJI and for the inquiry. I will posting an official DJI link where you can compare both the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom and the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. I hope this can help you. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav

2019-1-21
Use props
1cmathis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1007 ft
United States

The ability to zoom, versus a better camera is the question.

You may not use the Zoom feature all the time, but you will enjoy having a better camera all the time.
2019-1-21
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

The ability to zoom is not really needede in many situations. Also, when you render in FHD, you can just shoot in 4K with the M2P and zoom in without losing quality. (to the point where your picture is as big as FHD)
2019-1-21
Use props
DarylDixon
lvl.1

United States

@ScanDrone,,,
For me the zoom function was so essential i choose the Zoom, even knowing Pro can take better pictures/video especially in low light mobdro.bio/ condition. But as stated before, its all about what you will use it for and in what condition. If awesome colors and luckypatcher.tips/ shooting in low light, go with the Pro. But keep in mind to really use the Pro features quite a bit of post processing may www.kodi.bio/ be required. I "love" my M2Z and is using it's zoom function  every single flight. The 48 mpix is also useful in the M2Z. And it's cheaper, you can easily get an extra battery with the M2Z for the price of the M2P.  
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Thank you my issue has been solved,....
2019-1-21
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

PRO all the way ;) its a no brainer ;)
2019-1-21
Use props
Nazar78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

For casual or close-up usage using normal color profile h.264 8bit and you do not like to spend most of the time post editing then the zoom it is, the quality is still very good plus you got to zoom. But if you like to challenge yourself (and your PC) with dlog hevc/h.265 10bit to pull out the best results, no doubt the pro 1" is what you want to get.

For me personally since I already have the MP1, I waited few months to decide, reading and watching the reviews (also hoping for price drop). I see most of the YouTube comparisons uses auto settings and they tend to look more for sharpness details.

I finally chose the pro because in bright day light I sometimes have difficulties looking at my 1130nits display, hence I don't see me using the zoom feature that much trying to frame the video or photo shots so I just make sure my focus is ok and I'll leave zoom decision during post.
org_97104baa8e5a351b_1546335336000.jpg
2019-1-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Both have unique features.
But for me I would probably choose the zoom, since I love the compressed look you get with a 50mm focal length (especially when filming).
BUT the 'Pro' is an amazing drone too, so it is a tough choice.
2019-1-21
Use props
djiuser_ZFUaSaOBgIxz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I had the same question and ended up buying the Mavic 2 Pro. Glad I did. The 20 megapixel vs the 12 of the Zoom and D-log makes a big difference even if you do not shoot in low light. Also the adjustable aperture of the Pro 2 is a big plus in my opinion. Then I came across a few times that having the Zoom feature would have been great. I like to photograph wildlife both in video and stills. So I also bought the Zoom. I wasn't expecting much in the area of still photography with the Zoom but surprisingly it isn't bad and when shooting 4k the zoom really helps. The Pro 2 camera is better but the Zoom camera isn't bad. I use both the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom and enjoy both.
2019-1-22
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2019-1-22
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2019-1-22
Use props
somalianbobo
New

Pakistan

Lucky Patcher iOS - Download Lucky Patcher for iOS, iPhoneiPad. lucky patcher app for your iPhone. Lucky Patcher iOS - Download Lucky Patcher for iOS, iPhone & iPad. lucky patcher ... Sitemap Help Find Us © 2019 Autodesk, Inc. Terms of ...
2019-7-11
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

The camera has more pixels, a bigger sensor, and can HDR.  Everything else is pretty much the same if not worse due to the heavier camera.  You cannot zoom so if you are trying to look at something close-up during high winds such as on the side of a building you can't punch in and look at it from a distance.

When I have jobs I send the Mavic 2 Zoom out to check for altitude before I send over my Phantom 4 Pro V2.0.
2019-7-11
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Greece

The pro camera is significantly better in every respect to the zooms. Zoom camera is basically mavic 1 quality - a 5 year old cellphone.
2019-7-11
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

I Have both. The answer might vary a lot. For fun propose zoom is much better. Even for professional use zoom can be much better many times. M2 Zoom  camera is very, very good. In normal color profile, it is impossible to notice any difference. Even is low light situation, make not too much difference. Both noisy video are useless for me.

I might state that M2p worth more than zoom just for professional photographers  and if you want to use DLOG, which makes a huge difference on colors. But it is for specific popose.

Anyway i use more the zoom one than the pro
2019-7-13
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

2 Pro 100%
2019-7-14
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Francis Posted at 7-13 19:58
I Have both. The answer might vary a lot. For fun propose zoom is much better. Even for professional use zoom can be much better many times. M2 Zoom  camera is very, very good. In normal color profile, it is impossible to notice any difference. Even is low light situation, make not too much difference. Both noisy video are useless for me.

I might state that M2p worth more than zoom just for professional photographers  and if you want to use DLOG, which makes a huge difference on colors. But it is for specific popose.

If you cannot see any difference between the M2Z and the M2P you should definitely see an ophthalmologist, no offense intended.

Although I don’t own the Zoom, I got to play with it for a while and sincerely speaking the image that it produces is very similar to the original Mavic. At 1st glance, it even appears sharper than the M2P but on a 2nd look, it is mainly digitally over sharpened. The vertigo effect and the capacity to zoom are nice features but the 1st is more of a gimmick and eventually one cannot use it in every video because it becomes very repetitive and boring and although zooming might be useful in some cases, 90% of the operators aren’t professional videographers so getting the best out of it can be tricky. Don’t forget that the HQ mode on the Pro gives a much narrower field of view not far from the Zoom. So basically you can also switch between the Full FoV Mode 28mm and HQ Mode 55mm vs 24mm and 48mm on the Zoom.

Closing the 1” sensor is far superior than the 1/2.3” found on the Zoom, it is 4 times bigger, gathers much more light in the same conditions (much better ISO performance and less noise), has a higher dynamic range and of course 20mpx vs 12mpx. Add to that the 10Bit per second, H265 and D-Log (vs  D-Cinelike) and it destroys the Mavic Zoom in any image quality comparison. Of course there are youtubers that get impressed by over sharpening and try to show comparisons zoomed at 200% to make a point but they are far from understanding what a flat profile means.

Be;ow you can find one of the best reviews and comparisons from a know filmmaker that does understand what the M2P can deliver...

2019-7-14
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

El Diabolico Posted at 7-14 07:21
If you cannot see any difference between the M2Z and the M2P you should definitely see an ophthalmologist, no offense intended.

Although I don’t own the Zoom, I got to play with it for a while and sincerely speaking the image that it produces is very similar to the original Mavic. At 1st glance, it even appears sharper than the M2P but on a 2nd look, it is mainly digitally over sharpened. The vertigo effect and the capacity to zoom are nice features but the 1st is more of a gimmick and eventually one cannot use it in every video because it becomes very repetitive and boring and although zooming might be useful in some cases, 90% of the operators aren’t professional videographers so getting the best out of it can be tricky. Don’t forget that the HQ mode on the Pro gives a much narrower field of view not far from the Zoom. So basically you can also switch between the Full FoV Mode 28mm and HQ Mode 55mm vs 24mm and 48mm on the Zoom.

first of all, before  answer you, i have some questions

Do you have both drones or hard use them. Or your opinion is based on you tube reviews or specs.?  
Are u filmmaker and do you edit both videos with max quality, on fast computers with big screen monitors, bigger than 50"?Did u read carefully what i said "with no log  and no color profile" ?.

Depending on your answer i d should better no discussing.  

2019-7-14
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think the Zoom, but don't quote me...
2019-7-14
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Francis Posted at 7-14 19:40
first of all, before  answer you, i have some questions

Do you have both drones or hard use them. Or your opinion is based on you tube reviews or specs.?  

I own the M2P and I’ve flew 3 batteries with the M2Z to compare them (that’s the reason I decided to go with the Pro).

I am a photographer and video is my hobby but I generally apply the same rules and as such, I try to shoot my videos during sunrise or close to sunset when the light is softer. The Zoom cannot compete with the Pro in those circumstances. I do use good quality monitors (iMac 5K) and my Samsung 4K TV is 55”.

The ‘no log’ and ‘no color profile’ is totally irrelevant to the op’s question. He wants to know which drone to buy. With that logic one could also say; ‘no Occusync” or ‘no obstacle avoidance’ and get the Mavic Air or Parrot Anafi saving half of the money... Starting to remove characteristics based on your personal preferences or editing skills is not a deciding factor. Nevertheless, even shooting in normal mode, the M2P has a much more organic / natural and warm feel than the Zoom. The Zoom like it’s 1/2.3’ predecessor tends to over sharpen the image. Of course, if you use a 1080p iPad mini to watch your videos, it will not matter.

The fact that you’re happy with your choice doesn’t make it the right one. The M2P is the better drone.

2019-7-15
Use props
mandal23
lvl.1

India

I really like the pro camera as it is much better in all aspects of the zooms. I understand that the zoom camera is Mavic 1 quality -a 5-year-old phone.
2019-7-20
Use props
djiuser_orTeTX0WZtT6
New

India

DJI has also outfitted the Mavic 2 series with a drastically improved environmental sensing system. Whereas the original Mavic Pro only sensed obstacles in front of it (and the Mavic Air added behind and down), the second generation boasts omnidirectional sense-and-avoid, thanks to 10 sensors positioned on its front, back, left, right, top, and bottom.
2019-11-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules