Filter for a beginner
1364 11 2019-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RobIW
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi, I’ve just ordered a mavic Pro 2 and I’m looking at filters. I know there are lots around and seen some videos. But to get me going without spending lots is there a single filter people recommend. Otherwise maybe I need to buy a set of three and just spend the money. I’m in the U.K. as well. Thanks
2019-1-21
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

A single filter won't help because you always need a different filter depending on the brightness you are filming at.
That being said, a set of filters is the way to go.
2019-1-21
Use props
RobIW
lvl.2
United Kingdom

saviour Posted at 1-21 05:20
A single filter won't help because you always need a different filter depending on the brightness you are filming at.
That being said, a set of filters is the way to go.

Ok. Any recommendations? I’m totally new to this and I’ve seen so many. Polar pro seem to be ranked quite highly.
2019-1-21
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

RobIW Posted at 1-21 06:16
Ok. Any recommendations? I’m totally new to this and I’ve seen so many. Polar pro seem to be ranked quite highly.

PolarPro filters are nice, but you've indicated you want/need to save some money. You can find other less expensive filters that work equally as well here.

As for choosing the type of filters, here are a few good videos to watch:

2019-1-21
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Surely our valued customers could share their recommendation in regards to the filters that you may need. Please let us know if you need our help. Thank you for continued support.
2019-1-21
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Also would recommend getting the free polarpro app - https://www.polarprofilters.com/pages/polarpro-app
2019-1-21
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

RobIW Posted at 1-21 06:16

You can get the PGYTECH ones. I find them the best because they have all you need (8, 16, 32 and 64) in one set and they're fairly cheap.
2019-1-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I would recommend you to first fly your drone around.
Get familiar with everything.
Next worry about the images you are making and get the best settings for that.
If you still think you need ND filters, go on and select a good pair.

But only when you are sure you need them.

I actually have bought a set of Polar Pro's, but never use them in real life.
So that was a waste of my money.
Why I never use them?
I like to combine photography and videography in one flight. And for the first one you need as much light (no filter) and the second you want to control the light hitting your sensor (via ND filters).
But when I'm in the air, I usually don't have time to change filters or get them off completely for my still, so I tried filming without them.
That does work rather well IF you move very slow.

But as said, my advice is to first fly a lot and worry about filters only when you feel you need them after many hours of capturing footage.
2019-1-21
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2019-1-23
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

Personally, PGYTECH, Polarpro and Freewell make pretty good filters. Of course, each kit comes with its own price range and number of filters so thats up to you and how much you want to spend on filters. Another thought I had is that you could utilize the aperture to get the 180° shutter speed, depending on enviornment until you figure out what filters you want. Otherwise, take your first few flights slow and easy and especially figure out how the camera works so that you can also utilize that when using nd's in the future.

Have fun!
2019-1-25
Use props
RobIW
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks for all the help and I had my first flight at the weekend and picked it up fairly easily from rc helis in the past. Unfortunately the weather changed so didn’t get much time to play with the camera.
I generally use a pl filter on my dslr and I see you can get fixed or cpl for the drones. Are cpls difficult to use?

2019-1-29
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2019-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules