Flying with broken props!
1304 19 2019-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spandit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 65463 ft

United Kingdom

Took my Mavic Pro round to a friend's house to take some pictures if his property. Didn't realise until after I'd landed what poor state my propellers were in. Probably explains why my hover isn't as stable as would be ideal. Impressive that it can still fly (these are two separate propellers) with them in this state but suffice to say, I will be replacing them toute-de-suite!

20190121_150825.jpg

2019-1-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, we're very sorry to hear about the unpleasant experience that you had with your Mavic Pro. Please make sure to replace your propellers on the next flight to avoid any issue and damage. Please fly with caution. If you need any help, please let us know. Thank you.
2019-1-21
Use props
Virgil Quick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1074104 ft
United States

Several places on the Internet, and probably also on this forum, many very wise and seasoned DJI pilots have posted a pre-flight check list.  I would strongly suggest that you download one and use it each time you fly.
2019-1-21
Use props
spandit
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Not a bad idea. Has anyone had a blade separate in flight?

Remember seeing this a few years ago:

Wonder if DJI includes the algorithm in their drones?

2019-1-21
Use props
spandit
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Thought I'd better thoroughly inspect the two remaining blades - took them off the drone and at first inspection, they looked fine. After a really close look, one of them had a crack in it going about half way across the blade. Quite close to the tip so had it fallen off in flight, it probably would have survived, but I'll be replacing it anyway. I think I'll replace all 4 and keep the one "good" one as a spare.

With reference to my earlier problem of the drone drifting to the left, both damaged props in the OP were on the left hand side - I assume they weren't giving as much lift as the ones on the right causing the bank, although I would have expected the autopilot to take account of that.

Going to turn into an expensive little hobby at this rate!
2019-1-21
Use props
Gazmg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 195358 ft
United Kingdom

A;ways have spare props just in case if your still drifting do an imu calibration and compass..
2019-1-21
Use props
spandit
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I've ordered more. I recalibrated both and the app said they were performing well.
2019-1-21
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

What in the world have you been doing with them?  They should be inspected before and after every flight and discarded when any flaws are found.  Centrifugal force can rip the cracked props apart and vibration can shake the entire drone.
2019-1-21
Use props
spandit
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I hit a tree. Didn't realise how difficult cracks were to spot so will be a lot more careful from now on
2019-1-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

spandit Posted at 1-21 23:51
I hit a tree. Didn't realise how difficult cracks were to spot so will be a lot more careful from now on

Always check them over before every flight
2019-1-22
Use props
spandit
Second Officer

United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 1-22 00:56
Always check them over before every flight

I've learnt my lesson
2019-1-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

spandit Posted at 1-22 03:44
I've learnt my lesson

2019-1-22
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Check it every time before you fly
2019-1-22
Use props
spandit
Second Officer

United Kingdom

jacksonnai Posted at 1-22 06:55
Check it every time before you fly

I don't need to be told again... but thank you
2019-1-22
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

Nice
2019-1-22
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

spandit Posted at 1-22 07:56
I don't need to be told again... but thank you

You're welcome mate!
Fly safe!
2019-1-23
Use props
spandit
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Don't be such a patronising Richard Head. Go and annoy someone else, little boy
2019-1-23
Use props
Mike Swiss
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2352749 ft
Switzerland

i tried once to fly with broken wings, i would not recommend ^^
2019-1-27
Use props
MadMadMat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2097874 ft
United States

Virgil Quick Posted at 1-21 08:11
Several places on the Internet, and probably also on this forum, many very wise and seasoned DJI pilots have posted a pre-flight check list.  I would strongly suggest that you download one and use it each time you fly.

I had a propeller break at about 200 ft in the air on more of a stunt drone and I watched it drop end over  end straight to the Earth. Lucky for me it landed in a hedge and didn't hit anything or anyone and had no further damage my propellers looked much better than the ones posted here. If the propellers have any damage or discolored like they've been flexed do not use them
2019-1-28
Use props
MadMadMat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2097874 ft
United States

Virgil Quick Posted at 1-21 08:11
Several places on the Internet, and probably also on this forum, many very wise and seasoned DJI pilots have posted a pre-flight check list.  I would strongly suggest that you download one and use it each time you fly.

I had a propeller break at about 200 ft in the air on more of a stunt drone and I watched it drop end over  end straight to the Earth. Lucky for me it landed in a hedge and didn't hit anything or anyone and had no further damage my propellers looked much better than the ones posted here. If the propellers have any damage or discolored like they've been flexed do not use them
2019-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules