Mavic Air Yaw with no Input
1203 19 2019-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jamielee96
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi guys, having problems with my new MA.
Seems to be yawing mid air without any input from myself (no wind).
I've attached a video to demonstrate.
Any idea's?

2019-1-21
Use props
kovat53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

I'm not a drone expert, I just use it for hobby. I am sorry to say sometimes I have this kind of problem. I can't give you an adequate solution. I was advised to make factory reset thru DJI Assistnt 2 and recalibrate the compass. It helped, but it is needed to make it periodically. This kind of a problem came with .400 and .500 firmware updates. I have never had before. I red on the Forum it could be hardware problem, but I don"t think so. If it would be hardware problem recalibration and reinstall wouldn't have helped me. So Forum members and Administrators suggested solutions, that helped -at least- in my case. Sorry for my English.
2019-1-21
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

try to recalibrate your IMU on a perfectly flat and level surface like a workbench and recalibrate your controller's sticks.

if that doesn't help, submit your logs here with a link and someone can examine it and help you i imagine
2019-1-21
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello,

I knew it! I occasionally see a post but yes I have the exact same issue you do. I have ruled it to either one of these scenarios, the first being that some software gremlins are screwing with the IMU since .400. I dont personally buy this, as I have tried both versions and even downgraded my remote to 1.000 and no change. What may have happened is that there is some form of hardware failure, in my case its a medium soft right yaw which can be attributed to a bad left stick module. But I need some more information to confirm this. If you are flying forward, does it yaw at all? If so, can you compensate for it by using a slight yaw command in the opposite direction? Its a hunch I have had for months and probably means my remote (and bird ) might have to go in for repair, but I wanted to correlate data if possible since This is a prime example of what I have been talking about.
2019-1-21
Use props
Jamielee96
lvl.1

United Kingdom

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 1-21 17:51
Hello,

I knew it! I occasionally see a post but yes I have the exact same issue you do. I have ruled it to either one of these scenarios, the first being that some software gremlins are screwing with the IMU since .400. I dont personally buy this, as I have tried both versions and even downgraded my remote to 1.000 and no change. What may have happened is that there is some form of hardware failure, in my case its a medium soft right yaw which can be attributed to a bad left stick module. But I need some more information to confirm this. If you are flying forward, does it yaw at all? If so, can you compensate for it by using a slight yaw command in the opposite direction? Its a hunch I have had for months and probably means my remote (and bird  ) might have to go in for repair, but I wanted to correlate data if possible since This is a prime example of what I have been talking about.

I will try flying mine in a straight line shortly. It's a brand new drone, I certainly won't be paying repair costs...
2019-1-22
Use props
Jamielee96
lvl.1

United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-21 12:07
try to recalibrate your IMU on a perfectly flat and level surface like a workbench and recalibrate your controller's sticks.

if that doesn't help, submit your logs here with a link and someone can examine it and help you i imagine

Which file? I have some DAT files but struggling to read them? All guides I have followed are not working...
2019-1-22
Use props
Jamielee96
lvl.1

United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-21 12:07
try to recalibrate your IMU on a perfectly flat and level surface like a workbench and recalibrate your controller's sticks.

Which file? I have some DAT files but struggling to read them? All guides I have followed are not working...
2019-1-22
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2076335 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, ongoing issue still not resolved.  There are a few posts out there on this unexpected yaw.  Sorry, I just correct and move on so I have not really put a lot of thought into it to figure out anything further about it.  Does not stop me from flying.
2019-1-22
Use props
Jamielee96
lvl.1

United Kingdom

maihem.rc Posted at 1-22 11:05
Yes, ongoing issue still not resolved.  There are a few posts out there on this unexpected yaw.  Sorry, I just correct and move on so I have not really put a lot of thought into it to figure out anything further about it.  Does not stop me from flying.

What is your method to correct the issue?
2019-1-22
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jamielee96 Posted at 1-22 08:16

should be a txt file with the data on it i believe.     then upload it to https://app.airdata.com/   and then send us the link here.
2019-1-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I would take Kovat53’s advice, this has worked for many.
2019-1-22
Use props
Jamielee96
lvl.1

United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-22 12:04
should be a txt file with the data on it i believe.     then upload it to https://app.airdata.com/   and then send us the link here.

Hey mate, I've had this advice on another forum but troubles uploading the file.
Am I looking to get the .DAT file from the folder inside the flight log folder? Or can I just use the .txt file?
Thanks
2019-1-22
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jamielee96 Posted at 1-22 12:35
Hey mate, I've had this advice on another forum but troubles uploading the file.
Am I looking to get the .DAT file from the folder inside the flight log folder? Or can I just use the .txt file?
Thanks

txt file tends to be enough to get an idea of what is happening.    the .dat file has all the raw data in it..that's good for deeper analyzations ..
2019-1-22
Use props
Jamielee96
lvl.1

United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-22 12:38
txt file tends to be enough to get an idea of what is happening.    the .dat file has all the raw data in it..that's good for deeper analyzations ..

Ok will check out those files. I was told in another forum it could be caused by a difference in IMU data from sensor data (or along those lines) and only the .DAT file will contain the data needed.
2019-1-22
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jamielee96 Posted at 1-22 12:41
Ok will check out those files. I was told in another forum it could be caused by a difference in IMU data from sensor data (or along those lines) and only the .DAT file will contain the data needed.

well then grab the .DAT files that maybe linked to this and post them here.  im sure someone can check the data in them for ya.  
2019-1-22
Use props
Jamielee96
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Here is the .txt file from the flight I believe.
https://app.airdata.com/share/VnWPJS

I had trouble converting a .DAT file. Anyone have a tutorial?
2019-1-22
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2076335 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jamielee96 Posted at 1-22 11:25
What is your method to correct the issue?

Sorry, I was not clear with my description.  I mean that I just yaw in the other direction and continue on my flight.  In my experience, it has only happened to me early on in a flight and usually only once per battery.  Sorta like a regular in flight occurrence...I wait for it to happen and then start taking video or pictures.
2019-1-22
Use props
Jamielee96
lvl.1

United Kingdom

After receiving some data analysis from an experienced member of another forum I have put together a pdf detailing the fault, the action taken, and the DAT file analysis. Makes for interesting reading for anyone experiencing or has experienced the same issue in the past. Open to feedback of any kind, and would be very interested to hear what any DJI Reps have to say about this analysis.

As for the drone... it was picked up by UPS this morning after a live chat technician could not offer any advice other than to send it in for repair. Will update the thread on any information I hear from DJI from this point.

Mavic Air Fault and DAT File Analysis
2019-1-24
Use props
Opspeculate_2nd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 694508 ft
Canada

You can try

Opspeculate's Yaw Drift Fix
2019-4-6
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032569 ft
United States

This is just your initiation as a MA owner.  Almost all of us have experienced it.
2019-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules