dji really leaving the mavic air out to die..
123Next >
6343 91 2019-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i discovered another flaw, i know i am very late to this but wow this is epically annoying..you cannot have both phone/tablet connected while using dji goggles.  how hard is it to split the connection...?  just realized how annoying this really is because sometimes you wanna lift goggles to check telemtry on your phone and you cant.. not even pure telemtry mode just nothing if the goggles plug in.. add this to the list of BS dji could correct or work on/optimize but hasnt in entire life span of the drone.

so we have in no special order.

1. no pure telemtry mode for when phone/tablet connected while flying goggles on mavic air, no being able to use both at same time, special and potentially dangerous.

2. props that are badly optimized they are screaming and easily max the motors out in sport mode punching  lets not forget they sound like someone being cooked alive with that shrill screaming.

3. been a recent rash of battery cell failures seems to have unknow reasonings..possibly failure to acurraly measure power?

4. poorly optimized wifi configurations/limited manual configs

5. no sliders for image quality oof live view or bandwidth or a toggle for reduced image qualty instead of frame dropping.

6. frames dropping like crazy before image quality takes a nose dove.

7. RTH glivcthes where just sits mid air in RTH mode not retunringin home for long time.

8. gimbals seems to foget its location sometimes when flying around fast and it knocks itself to end point.

9. sport mode exceeds limits of the gimbal (dumb design).

10. no gimbal down/up toggle button to look down and bakc up as needed.

11. no digital zoom feature even though many of us accept the crap quality that comes with it.

12. no voltage disaplay on the main camera screen, seems broken for many devices, specially andriod.

13. andriod power drain issues.. you get ~2x (or more) remote battery life flying via IoS in your controller.. no toggle to limit charging function/disable it.

14. broken auto wifi mode doesnt seem to actually care about picking a good channel or not, mine half the time picks the worst channel automatically.  

15. no dual channe/dual band simaltanous connection mode for wifi on remote to the drone where it can connects to both drops one or the other as needed to maintance best connection reliability.  i dont even know after discussing all these points how this is any more of "enhanced wifi" than the spark's wifi system..

16.. im sure more to come

2019-1-21
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

If i have a Spark, in your opinion is it worth for me to buy Mavic Air?
2019-1-24
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lysak2003 Posted at 1-24 12:18
If i have a Spark, in your opinion is it worth for me to by Mavic Air?

Depends how tight your budget is and the market where you are and your priorities for drones.   

Amazon here in the US is selling Mavic 2 Zoom (base Unit) for $1100. Vs $999 for Mavic Air (fly more).  And at these prices I would just say get mavic 2 Zoom if you can. Then invest in a couple batteries over time.  
Not saying Mavic Air is a bad drone, but it needs more attention from DJI
2019-1-24
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Ukraine

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-24 12:51
Depends how tight your budget is and the market where you are and your priorities for drones.   

Amazon here in the US is selling Mavic 2 Zoom (base Unit) for $1100. Vs $999 for Mavic Air (fly more).  And at these prices I would just say get mavic 2 Zoom if you can. Then invest in a couple batteries over time.  

Thank you for a prompt and substantial answer. I look to the Mavic 2 Pro direction, but its price seems a bit costly now. The thing that I don’t really like in Mavic Air is an absence of Occusync.
2019-1-24
Use props
forbsie
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Lysak2003 Posted at 1-24 14:07
Thank you for a prompt and substantial answer. I look to the Mavic 2 Pro direction, but its price seems a bit costly now. The thing that I don’t really like in Mavic Air is an absence of Occusync.

I have had no problems with signal strength or connection with my Air, I think Occusync would be nice if you intend to fly your drone a significant distance from the controller but as I rarely get over a couple of hundred metres away this isn't an issue for me. The Mavic Air is a great drone, particularly for travel, packs really small, and battery life is good (not great) but way better than Spark. I'm very happy with it, .. but, I would like the Mavic 2 Pro Zoom
2019-1-24
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lysak2003 Posted at 1-24 14:07

occusync and battery life is a big juicy reason to pick bigger mavics....  enhanced wifi even with FCC trick being used isn't that's strong of signal quality, range is okay if low interference, i managed upwards of 4KM+ a few times but signal quality was terrible, lot of frames being dropped, video quality turned to absolute mush on live view and trying to control the drone was difficult because the update rate was non existent and it kept dropping in and out..not to mention battery i landed with 0%.

i would say if DJi made Mavic Air with Occusync 2.0, 4S battery, better props and didn't ignore it and kept updating features..then it would be the absolute perfect travel drone...or as close as one can get currently.   
2019-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Have to say with that list it sounds like you purchased something your not happy with, all I can say except for the noisy props I don’t have any of those problems.

I have voltage displayed on my Mavic Air it will always show the lowest cell count for the battery your using and this is all you need to show your battery is working or not.

I’ve used instructions shown in video below and never had a problem, maybe it will help, but you have so many problems it looks like you’ll never be happy with MavAir.

2019-1-24
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-24 15:06
Have to say with that list it sounds like you purchased something your not happy with, all I can say except for the noisy props I don’t have any of those problems.

I have voltage displayed on my Mavic Air it will always show the lowest cell count for the battery your using and this is all you need to show your battery is working or not.

i want to love the mavic air, and initially i did. however i feel like a lot more this aircraft can give but DJi decided to EOL it silently instead.  some stuff i totally understand may not be possible with mavic air's hardware but seems to be a lot left on the table by DJi.   

i cant get voltage to display on my camera view on android (LG V10 and Samsung S7 edge tested) or my iPhone X or 5S.   only devices i own where it appears are my iPads  i have to open battery menu to get that info on all my devices i typically fly with.  not even a toggle for it in my apps, i know was a feature on both the spark and mavic pro.

as for picking wifi, i know how to do this.   however i feel like dji didn't really bother fully optimizing the Wifi system either and i had this confirmed by a friend who knows a lot more about this stuff than even i do.

quieter props + software support and optimization could fix battery life a bit, improve quality of life for us users not having our drones screaming everwhere it flies and wouldn't hit the ends of the gimbal as much in theory since wont have to tilt nearly as much to pick up speed

better and more software support could mean carried over features. an functions to again improve the quality of life.

a 4S battery (barely add much thickness) would also improve quality of life as well, as voltage sag that can be achieved with 3S that it comes with is touching on dangerous..either in the effect of dangerous current draw creating alot of heat or just suddenly shutting off power to the aircraft and it falling from the heavens.. if it hasn't happened yet it will as the battery ages and with these voltage sags the aging will be more rapid.
2019-1-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-24 15:28
i want to love the mavic air, and initially i did. however i feel like a lot more this aircraft can give but DJi decided to EOL it silently instead.  some stuff i totally understand may not be possible with mavic air's hardware but seems to be a lot left on the table by DJi.   

i cant get voltage to display on my camera view on android (LG V10 and Samsung S7 edge tested) or my iPhone X or 5S.   only devices i own where it appears are my iPads  i have to open battery menu to get that info on all my devices i typically fly with.  not even a toggle for it in my apps, i know was a feature on both the spark and mavic pro.

The Mavic Air has by far the most features of any dji consumer drone, I don’t need any more, I fly within VLOS so never had a problem with signal, I use both Crystalsky and iPhone XR and have no problem getting voltage up,there are so many things you are not happy with I can’t see them being fixed , it’s funny as soon as new FW is added it brings more problems according to some and for others they can’t get enough FW.
I bought MavAir and since I bought some features have been added, but I got what I paid for, if any new FW is coming I just hope it only optimizes what’s already there.
2019-1-24
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-24 15:44
The Mavic Air has by far the most features of any dji consumer drone, I don’t need any more, I fly within VLOS so never had a problem with signal, I use both Crystalsky and iPhone XR and have no problem getting voltage up,there are so many things you are not happy with I can’t see them being fixed , it’s funny as soon as new FW is added it brings more problems according to some and for others they can’t get enough FW.
I bought MavAir and since I bought some features have been added, but I got what I paid for, if any new FW is coming I just hope it only optimizes what’s already there.

the way i see it, specially DJi go 4 features/functions  they should be universal and carried over to all drones that use it.  and if not optimized for the aircraft have a little asterisk and a warning popup if enabled.  for example, camera up/down shortcut features or waypoints and stuff like that that's more of an app and SDK function less of a Firmware specific function, obviously more features and functions than this just examples...

as for Voltage display, that's interesting how you gotten the option but all im stuck with is percentage i do not have the ability to show such data, no toggles even on ipad which does show voltage on main display their is no toggles..  wonder what's causing the difference...?

Wireless connection is again not range, its signal quality say you want to so a lower obit of something, as you got behind whatever it is, chances are signal will suffer a loss or lag so bad the risk of crashing jumps up.  or another example, i sometimes like to fly my aircraft under bridges, there is this abandoned and decommissioned railroad bridge thats crumbled to ruins, and it is sooo difficult to fly under it because signal signal quality, even though it is technically VLOS and im only flying maybe 1000 feet away, signal drops to nothing nothing being emitted around it, just signal quality sucks.

yes sadly i was sorta impacted by a .500 update issue, mine seems limited to RTH issue, my mavic air sits starting my direction in RTH mode for an alarming amount of time draining its power before moving.. i initially suspected it was andriod issue but i since removed that possibility by using dif cables and using my iPhone more and experiencing it at a similar rate, for those of us who havent experianced this, you are blessed.  because it is very nerve wrecking just watching your mavic air with barely any signal maybe a mile away over whatever just sit there not moving and you cant force it to move or cancle RTH until it actually starts flying back home...scary specially if low on power and out over open water with no where safe to land.   the compass issue is another thing, the instructions for calibration of compass in app are so wrong that its causing more problems than it is solving..
2019-1-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

16.  After firmware .0400 was released, DJI moved Mavic Air's firmware from back-burner to warming-plate.  Customers couldn't go backwards to .0300 and no way forward for over four months.

17. im sure more to come
2019-1-24
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 1-24 16:11
16.  After firmware .0400 was released, DJI moved Mavic Air's firmware from back-burner to warming-plate.  Customers couldn't go backwards to .0300 and no way forward for over four months.

17. im sure more to come

i feel like a warming plate would be an upgrade from where it is..  it feels like they basically wrapped it up in foil and tossed it in back of the fridge somewhere..
2019-1-24
Use props
TheVegeta1974
First Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-24 12:51

Model car club is a real thing . people really do it too
2019-1-24
Use props
Eclair29
lvl.2
Flight distance : 306499 ft
Cambodia

forbsie Posted at 1-24 14:28
I have had no problems with signal strength or connection with my Air, I think Occusync would be nice if you intend to fly your drone a significant distance from the controller but as I rarely get over a couple of hundred metres away this isn't an issue for me. The Mavic Air is a great drone, particularly for travel, packs really small, and battery life is good (not great) but way better than Spark. I'm very happy with it, .. but, I would like the Mavic 2 Pro Zoom

I got a RC connection lost on my Mavic Air while it was only 10 meters away hovering over water in perfect line of sight. Instead of RTH, the drone decided to land right there and ... yes it sank into the river.
There was a solid 30 seconds between connexion lost and water landing. I never re-gained connexion.
DJI admitted no pilot error so the drone will be replaced.
Yet, if I have the chance I will sell it for the Mavic 2 zoom.
2019-1-24
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Eclair29 Posted at 1-24 20:48
I got a RC connection lost on my Mavic Air while it was only 10 meters away hovering over water in perfect line of sight. Instead of RTH, the drone decided to land right there and ... yes it sank into the river.
There was a solid 30 seconds between connexion lost and water landing. I never re-gained connexion.
DJI admitted no pilot error so the drone will be replaced.

ya because it was too close, i believe you need to be beyond 20 meters away for it to initiate RTH normally, any less and it may just land in place.  sadly even mavic 2 will do this..  but shouldn't be an issue with occusync 1 or 2.

and as it stands now, i agree, Mavic 2 makes more sense.  specially at prices Amazon is pushing them for here in the US.  $1100 for the zoom and i seen mavic 2 pro for $1300 and even less as certified refreshed/renewed ($1200)
2019-1-24
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-24 15:44

so i kinda managed to get voltage to display on main screen, but what i had to do on android, just maybe the version im on..but i had to delete everything DJi related from the device manually, it hides config files and such then reinstall and do not plug it into controller as this will wipe ability to do this but, change battery settings set time to discharge (not sure this will set) and show voltage on main screen, then have to close the app out forcefully after setting this, plug Android in then boot controller then it will ask what you want to auto launch wit this device pick DJI Go 4 and it should carry settings over.

on iOS its alot easier just uninstall the App then reinstall it and before plug in iPhone in pick settings, close the app out then plug it in boot the controller and open the app should be there.

however once all set still no toggles, it appears that some settings carried over by other drone settings if flying multiple dji drones.. not sure if that was intentional,  but that's frustrating when trying to figure things out..because not all of us have features and functions that others do. ... again from a programming and quality of life prospective,m why doesn't DJI just make the features and functions of dji go universal..if its APP/SDK bounded just let it carry over give us all these options and toggles if we want them... maybe i can understand the spark having these things cut out, just because natural market for the spark. but any more than the spark i cannot understand it..  but it seems DJi is trying way too hard to artificially segment markets instead of letting them naturally co exist and letting separation happen on its own, not like everyone gets mavic air just because its cheaper option, not going to cannibalize things, these drones are already considered "ultra premium" by most people's standards
2019-1-24
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lysak2003 Posted at 1-24 12:18
If i have a Spark, in your opinion is it worth for me to buy Mavic Air?

Personally.... It depends. I would have to begin by saying that if you are really wanting 4k then it might be reasonable to upgrade to the Mavic air, but without your budget and the required (or desired) functions its hard to say. I only got a mavic air out of necessity of traveling as the spark is not quite as portable, though is very capable of traveling as is, and the fact I wanted 4k output, but honestly I sometimes miss my spark as the mavic air does seem to act like a spark in some regards but overall doesn't have the same charm or feeling the spark leaves you with. I know this is an extremely long post but this is my honest opinion to anyone with a spark looking at an MA, upgrade only if necessary and honestly keep your spark at all costs. They are my #1 favorite aircraft as they can give a sense of wonder at an extremely cheap price point.
2019-1-24
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-24 20:55
ya because it was too close, i believe you need to be beyond 20 meters away for it to initiate RTH normally, any less and it may just land in place.  sadly even mavic 2 will do this..  but shouldn't be an issue with occusync 1 or 2.

and as it stands now, i agree, Mavic 2 makes more sense.  specially at prices Amazon is pushing them for here in the US.  $1100 for the zoom and i seen mavic 2 pro for $1300 and even less as certified refreshed/renewed ($1200)

Link! I wanna see a pro2 at 1300$! that sounds dope!
2019-1-24
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 1-24 23:47
Link! I wanna see a pro2 at 1300$! that sounds dope!

sorry misspoke or had my info mixed up, $1300 certified refurbished

hopefully same price for you sometimes there is exclusive deals for business partners.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KP88X9R
2019-1-24
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-24 14:30
occusync and battery life is a big juicy reason to pick bigger mavics....  enhanced wifi even with FCC trick being used isn't that's strong of signal quality, range is okay if low interference, i managed upwards of 4KM+ a few times but signal quality was terrible, lot of frames being dropped, video quality turned to absolute mush on live view and trying to control the drone was difficult because the update rate was non existent and it kept dropping in and out..not to mention battery i landed with 0%.

See thats a thing I have kinda been wondering about dji and other drones that use "wifi" is that I wondering if some of the issues with controls can be explained by "packet/frame" drops. essentially, a command isnt read because of an error in connection or in delivery of the command.

(I am an IT student so I am learning about how computers function and seeing if I can apply what I learn to other things.)
2019-1-24
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-24 23:50
sorry misspoke or had my info mixed up, $1300 certified refurbished

hopefully same price for you sometimes there is exclusive deals for business partners.  

Oh, no problem. I just think thats awesome because I was looking around for deals and when you said that I just about jumped out of my chair. Still pretty cool and I will be considering it.
2019-1-24
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 1-24 23:52
See thats a thing I have kinda been wondering about dji and other drones that use "wifi" is that I wondering if some of the issues with controls can be explained by "packet/frame" drops. essentially, a command isnt read because of an error in connection or in delivery of the command.

(I am an IT student so I am learning about how computers function and seeing if I can apply what I learn to other things.)

ya im interested in tech as well and im not an expert or pro but thats my interesting to, the drone on wifi goes into some error correction path that's basically the scenic route and it cannot accept anything else until that error or new data frame is cleared.  this is why it can be dangerous..  however wifi inherently has alot of flexibilities if configured correctly, just that it appears dji didn't really tune the configurations...
2019-1-24
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 1-24 23:55
Oh, no problem. I just think thats awesome because I was looking around for deals and when you said that I just about jumped out of my chair. Still pretty cool and I will be considering it.

since you are interested in tech, just as an FYI the cameras between Zoom and Pro are interchangable, have to open the drone up and do little bit of surgery but not a huge amount, if you ever replaced a LCD on a laptop you are pretty well and set to replace the camera in the mavic 2, no configurations needed or anything, just replace it and boot it up and zoom will think its a pro
2019-1-24
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Ukraine

forbsie Posted at 1-24 14:28

Thank you to your response that leave so many things to think about)) I receive some opinions from my friend who own MA and he's also completely satisfied with it. But another our friend has M2P and we can see differences))
2019-1-25
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Ukraine

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 1-24 23:45
Personally.... It depends. I would have to begin by saying that if you are really wanting 4k then it might be reasonable to upgrade to the Mavic air, but without your budget and the required (or desired) functions its hard to say. I only got a mavic air out of necessity of traveling as the spark is not quite as portable, though is very capable of traveling as is, and the fact I wanted 4k output, but honestly I sometimes miss my spark as the mavic air does seem to act like a spark in some regards but overall doesn't have the same charm or feeling the spark leaves you with. I know this is an extremely long post but this is my honest opinion to anyone with a spark looking at an MA, upgrade only if necessary and honestly keep your spark at all costs. They are my #1 favorite aircraft as they can give a sense of wonder at an extremely cheap price point.

Thank you! I love to fly with my Spark too and understand there are enough things that I can do with it. 4K isn't so big deal for me, but I could compare with MA and M2P in same light condition, and my cam completely lost. Furthermore, battery life notably less as for duration as for amount of time of charging (200 time with Spark against 400 time with MA and M2P). And what is really important that back side sensor. So I continue to think about that.
2019-1-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-24 22:54
so i kinda managed to get voltage to display on main screen, but what i had to do on android, just maybe the version im on..but i had to delete everything DJi related from the device manually, it hides config files and such then reinstall and do not plug it into controller as this will wipe ability to do this but, change battery settings set time to discharge (not sure this will set) and show voltage on main screen, then have to close the app out forcefully after setting this, plug Android in then boot controller then it will ask what you want to auto launch wit this device pick DJI Go 4 and it should carry settings over.

on iOS its alot easier just uninstall the App then reinstall it and before plug in iPhone in pick settings, close the app out then plug it in boot the controller and open the app should be there.

Look it’s pretty simple, most people bought MavAir knew what they were getting knew the price they were paying for it, it sounds like your starting to cry over spilt milk here, if there is something that is not working on your drone your well within your rights to send in under warranty, if you chose not to then that’s up to you.
I don’t need or expect MavAir to be an M2 or even an M1, I knew it was WiFi and I knew how that worked, I am limited to 2km in CE zone,  I don’t have a problem getting 2k if I need it, I don’t get breaks in transmission or delays of any note, and from what I read around here neither do most.
If I want Ocusync I’ll buy a M2 or M1 I will expect to pay more for this, and I won’t expect it to be an Inspire , you said you have an iPhone X, does Apple offer all that’s on an iPhone X to an iPhone 8 No it doesn’t and the very same can be said of all Cameras.

I don’t think you should be complaining about what you haven’t got, yes I’m sure your suggestions might be helpful for further development, but if your drone is not working correctly as when you bought it or it doesn’t have features that other MavAir have then just ship it back and get it fixed.
2019-1-25
Use props
Canefan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 88074 ft
United States

Look no further than the lack of support for dynamic homepoint on the MA.  Everyone said that this was missing on Spark when it was introduced but was added in a later upgrade, so the same would likely happen with the MA.  Sadly, they have not added this important feature which should be an easy thing to implement.  It is supported by Litchi by the way.  Yes, DJI has put the MA out to pasture and I do regret buying it.  The support for what I thought was a flagship product has been disappointing to say the least.
2019-1-25
Use props
J AV10
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31686 ft
United States

Canefan Posted at 1-25 06:07
Look no further than the lack of support for dynamic homepoint on the MA.  Everyone said that this was missing on Spark when it was introduced but was added in a later upgrade, so the same would likely happen with the MA.  Sadly, they have not added this important feature which should be an easy thing to implement.  It is supported by Litchi by the way.  Yes, DJI has put the MA out to pasture and I do regret buying it.  The support for what I thought was a flagship product has been disappointing to say the least.

While I do think DJI should implement more support for their MA, I don't regret buying one. I love the compact size, the 4K camera, the speed, and lots more. I haven't ever had range issues (until I used Mavic FPV, which isn't a great app, BTW), and the furthest I have taken it from me was 1200 feet with FPV. This is my first DJI product, so I don't have the experience of the Mav2 or Spark, but the Air is definitely the best drone I have flown.
2019-1-25
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Look no further than the lack of support for dynamic homepoint on the MA.  Everyone said that this was missing on Spark when it was introduced but was added in a later upgrade, so the same would likely happen with the MA.  Sadly, they have not added this important feature which should be an easy thing to implement.  It is supported by Litchi by the way.  Yes, DJI has put the MA out to pasture and I do regret buying it.  The support for what I thought was a flagship product has been disappointing to say the least.

Completely agree!  Dynamic homepoint is a fantastic point.  Something already exists and was made possible for multiple drones including the spark but not the mavic Air for some strange reason..  such a hugely annoying feature to not have when tracking yourself.   

Litchi has prove via simple SDK and software the mavic Air is a flagship drone that is capable flagship features that DJI will not implement for some reason.
2019-1-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

So your sorry for buying it because it doesn’t have dynamic homepoint, yet it was never advertised, I wonder if these features are that important to people then it would be worth checking out before buying.
You said you can use it in litchi app, litchi app costs €20, so looks like a good cheap option, we buy phones and pay huge money for them, then we spend more money on apps for things we want to use and I never here people saying that Apple should be able to design that photography app or that app we use for flying UAV . I think optimizing what you have already is the best support dji could give.
2019-1-25
Use props
BKahuna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

Far be it from me to disagree with a guy that has over 800 miles of flying!

I've owned my MA for about a year and have no regrets whatsoever.  I knew there would be some trade-offs over getting an MP.  The MA was less expensive and much smaller.  I wish the MA had Occusync but realize that would likely increase the price and possibly the size.  I connect my MA to an Android phone and haven't had any problems with it at all (except my phone has a crappy compass).  I regularly fly my MA over a mile away with little or no signal loss (granted, under perfect flying conditions).  While the battery life isn't great (and I don't push it), I usually get 3-4 miles out of a flight.

Bang for your buck - the MA has been a great aircraft.  I wish it has dynamic homepoints but have only encountered a couple situations where that would have been handy.  Mostly I'm not on the move and want it to come back to where it took off.  Actually, most of the time I fly it back myself and don't use RTH so the homepoint is not too important.  I've had some close calls and some glitches along the way but that's why you put in the time to learn the system and improve your piloting skills.

Not to say I wouldn't love to have an M2P but for the money and size, the MA's shortcomings are worthwhile trade-offs.

Just my $0.02.
2019-1-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

BKahuna Posted at 1-25 09:14

I've owned my MA for about a year and have no regrets whatsoever.  I knew there would be some trade-offs over getting an MP.  The MA was less expensive and much smaller.  I wish the MA had Occusync but realize that would likely increase the price and possibly the size.  I connect my MA to an Android phone and haven't had any problems with it at all (except my phone has a crappy compass).  I regularly fly my MA over a mile away with little or no signal loss (granted, under perfect flying conditions).  While the battery life isn't great (and I don't push it), I usually get 3-4 miles out of a flight.

I think your absolutely right, MavAir is a great craft and you must give it sometime to get used to it’s capabilities and how you want to preform for you.
I think when I hear people looking for things to be added and more app improvements more FW, it a sign they are getting fed up with what they have.

We buy apps for our phones everyday to get more out of them, if someone wants and needs dynamic homepoint then just buy litchi app, it costs $20 and offers a whole heap of other stuff to keep you interested.
2019-1-25
Use props
Lifescanner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3091 ft
Germany

btw....  will Litchi ruin my warranty ?
2019-1-25
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lifescanner Posted at 1-25 10:49
btw....  will Litchi ruin my warranty ?

thats a complicated question.   DJi has a tendency to deny warranties because logs arent generated from within their own Application, however Litchi use DJi's SDK/logging system so... eh i dont think DJI should be denying claims if their SDK was in use.
2019-1-25
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-25 10:00
I think your absolutely right, MavAir is a great craft and you must give it sometime to get used to it’s capabilities and how you want to preform for you.
I think when I hear people looking for things to be added and more app improvements more FW, it a sign they are getting fed up with what they have.

the problem is dji can do it, its in the SDK and in the app for many things, proven many features lesser drones can do as well that dji seems to not transition over.  i think good example is dynamic homepoint, spark and mavic pro have this function...why cant the mavic air?  

why do we have to spend $20-$25 on an app that supports functions that DJi should just bake in?..

not that im fed up with my aircraft, still love it, its like a two year old child you have.. annoying as all hell for various reasons, but if someone took it from me i would beat them senseless...i think most of the issue is DJI's artificial segmentation that bothers people like me and probably many others too and yea are aircraft specific issues too, we named a few, but alot of issues comes from dji being unable to universally support their products...  if SDK and application supports functions, than should carry over and not require a 3rd party application which may end up invalidating warranty claims because of didnt use DJI's app even if it used DJI's SDK.
2019-1-25
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

BKahuna Posted at 1-25 09:14

but they dont have to be trade off if the SDK is shared, same SDK Mavic 2 pro/Zoom has the Mavic Air supports... something people dont typically realize because most people haven't dived into the SDK to compare..

and what does this mean if SDK is same?  means all same functions mavic 2 series has the mavic air on a technical perspective, supports but yet lacks without App and firmware to support this SDK functionality.    features that are shared we would love such as waypoints, dynamic homepoint (though im not sure this is turned on in mavic 2 yet either?) , active track 2.0, POI 2.0, and a ongoing list
2019-1-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-25 11:32
the problem is dji can do it, its in the SDK and in the app for many things, proven many features lesser drones can do as well that dji seems to not transition over.  i think good example is dynamic homepoint, spark and mavic pro have this function...why cant the mavic air?  

why do we have to spend $20-$25 on an app that supports functions that DJi should just bake in?..

And then we have the other half that tell us the problem with the app and craft is it’s stuffed with stuff causing problems.
Almost none of the features from MavAir passed on to M2, but I don’t care I bought an M2 for what it is not what it could be.
If you read your 16 problems above that you have and you said more to come, then I don’t think anyone could live with those problems without sending in, because they are not relevant to MavAir as it is today.
2019-1-25
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

I been thru three ma here from Costco, and granted newbie, noticed indifference amongst three flown, albeit under transient firmware exodus.
I've retained the last ma because it stays so cool temperature and we all understand heat avalanches electrons owing to materials undergoing excite molecularly.
Still abstaining from sport since it will mortality accelerate designed life cycling very fast (the epoxy coat or armature winding skin will delaminate too much temperature).
Craft behaves very well in eye ball sight distance which is darn small at 2/3 football field.
Flying by visual camera and orientation android path is hard! Distancing range finding is absent and so is periphery.
Those arcs of incoming obstructions shown are hard to negotiate from a depth of field aspect while in play motion.
It's just not the same as driving a car because of 3 dimension airborne regimes.
Herebeer already noted that natural and non natural blocking obstruct ruins connectivity.
2019-1-25
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 1-25 11:41
And then we have the other half that tell us the problem with the app and craft is it’s stuffed with stuff causing problems.
Almost none of the features from MavAir passed on to M2, but I don’t care I bought an M2 for what it is not what it could be.
If you read your 16 problems above that you have and you said more to come, then I don’t think anyone could live with those problems without sending in, because they are not relevant to MavAir as it is today.

unfortunately some people, guess including you as well, do not understand how the SDK (software Development Kit) works...  :/  i didn't buy my drone on a promise of what it could be, because DJI has always fallen short with that, like i said even with its faults i love it, for its size its amazing,  i however know what it could be and see DJI is doing this intentionally and for little reasoning other than market segmentation, all it takes it comparing SDK to see the issue and you realize very quickly that surprisingly Mavic Air and Mavic 2 appear almost 1 in the same... im sure some of it may not be fully tested or activated in firmware, but still dji could offer us the options as experimental or something with a warning comes with it...

for example, trajectory prediction, using OA sensors to keep tracking subjects, remote waypoint offloading, dynamic home point, bandwidth management (live image quality i guess?)..etc etc etc....  
2019-1-25
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

What should be posted is a comparison between military pocket drone and ma

Then folks will appreciate?

Appreciate what dji eliminates qualifying promote?

They build military packages too
2019-1-25
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules