Automatic lifejacket system
2080 13 2019-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spandit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 65463 ft

United Kingdom

After reading all the posts about people losing their drones in water, and since Getterback and Waterbuoy systems don't seem to be either available or any good, thought about designing my own system.

You can buy a cheap automatic lifejacket on eBay for about £15 (e.g. this one - although high vis and camo?) and I reckon with some seam sealant and heavy duty stitching, the envelope could be reduced. A 16g cycling CO2 cartridge should fit which will reduce weight and bulk.

I know there are pool noodle/bottle type attachments you can buy/3D print, which can allow you to actually land on water but if the drone is falling uncontrolled out of the sky, I don't know if these would survive.

Edit: I've now seen these - worth a shot

2019-1-22
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Cool! Thanks for sharing!
2019-1-22
Use props
spandit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 65463 ft

United Kingdom

Actually, those key things look a bit weedy - OK if you could rig them up to a spool of kevlar fishing line, I suppose.
Currently printing some pool noodle legs as an interim measure - went for these ones - better than nothing if I were to plummet into the water, not that I'm planning on it
2019-1-22
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2076335 ft
  • >>>
United States

This may not be your exact circumstance as you may be flying from land over water and not from a boat, I do both, but if you end up in the water, you're going to need a boat or to go for a swim.  I've had my Getterback's for a couple years now.  Have used them on the Mavic Pro, Spark, and Mavic Air when flying over water...usually only when my wife is watching because it keeps her from chirping in my ear the entire time I'm flying.  Interesting that they are no longer available, guessing demand went crazy when people started getting them for drones.  I have been fortunate in not having to rely on them for a recovery to date.  Over time, I have become more lax in my usage of them and have become more comfortable with my piloting skills to get the shots I want and get the drone back when over water.  I find that a handle on the MP is more helpful than anything to launch and retrieve from a boat.  I also fly without obstacle avoidance because it acts weird over water (MP).   Admittedly, I have cut up some finger tips and sliced finger nails on more than one occasion retrieving either the Spark or Mavic Air from a boat when conditions were not favorable for landing on or in the boat and I am not aware of a handle system that either of them can carry.  I tried my MP handle on the MA and it did not like it at all.  I don't mind spilling a little blood to get the shot/retrieve the drone.  I usually can get the safe side grab and flip over to kill the motors but there are instances when wind and waves just are not cooperative and you have to commit to a full on snatch out of the air to make sure you grab it and just take the hit.  I have not tried any of the drone fixed float ideas because they all seem to create a whole lot of drag.  I used to worry about it a whole lot when I started with a P2V+ but just worked on flying skills, doing repeated launch and retrieve practice runs, not pushing the shot to the end of the battery, and putting in flight time to gain trust in the equipment to get more comfortable with flying over water.  
In my investigating of the Key Buoy, if I recall correctly, it didn't have the lift capacity needed to float a MP.  I do not recall what it will lift.  I also saw a balloon version but decided the balloon would not last very long before degrading.
2019-1-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, thank you for sharing this information with us. Still, we recommend avoiding obstacles, crowds, high voltage power lines, trees or bodies of water when flying your drone Please try to fly the aircraft in open areas to avoid any issue. Should you have further question, please let us know. Thank you.
2019-1-22
Use props
chivalryreattac
lvl.1

Bangladesh

maihem.rc Posted at 1-22 10:24
This may not be your exact circumstance as you may be flying from land over water and not from a boat, I do both, but if you end up in the water, you're going to need a boat or to go for a swim.  I've had my Getterback's for a couple years now.  Have used them on the Mavic Pro, Spark, and Mavic Air when flying over water...usually only when my wife is watching because it keeps her from chirping in my ear the entire time I'm flying.  Interesting that they are no longer available, guessing demand went crazy when people started getting them for drones.  I have been fortunate in not having to rely on them for a recovery to date.  Over time, I have become more lax in my usage of them and have become more comfortable with my piloting skills to get the shots I want and get the drone back when over water.  I find that a handle on the MP is more helpful than anything to launch and retrieve from a boat.  I also fly without obstacle avoidance because it acts weird over water (MP).   Admittedly, I have cut up some finger tips and sliced finger nails on more than one occasion retrieving either the Spark or Mavic Air from a boat when conditions were not favorable for landing on or in the boat and I am not aware of a handle system that either of them can carry.  I tried my MP handle on the MA and it did not like it at all.  I don't mind spilling a little blood to get the shot/retrieve the drone.  I usually can get the safe side grab and flip over to kill the motors but there are instances when wind and waves just are not cooperative and you have to commit to a full on snatch out of the air to make sure you grab it and just take the hit.  I have not tried any of the drone fixed float ideas because they all seem to create a whole lot of drag.  I used to worry about it a whole lot when I started with a P2V+ but just worked on flying skills, doing repeated launch and retrieve practice runs, not pushing the shot to the end of the battery, and putting in flight time to gain trust in the equipment to get more comfortable with flying over water.  
In my investigating of the Key Buoy, if I recall correctly, it didn't have the lift capacity needed to float a MP.  I do not recall what it will lift.  I also saw a balloon version but decided the balloon would not last very long before degrading.

750ml Tequila Skull Bottles Wholesale
The glass bottles is one of the bundle materials with high obstruction property. It can avert oxygen
and different gases change the substance, and furthermore can keep the unstable constituents of substance enter to the air. The glass bottles maker making the glass bottles in a shape. On the off chance that the glass bottle fixing by plug or top, the oxygen can't into the glass bottle any more, so they can secure the fluid well.  The glass containers can be reused for ordinarily, so we can diminish the pressing expense. The glass bottles producer making the glass bottle with high weight. The glass bottles is truly druable, and difficult to broken in transport. So you can utilize them for ordinarily.

The glass containers can be changed its shading and straightforwardness effectively. As this glass bottle is rock glass bottle, we can painted any shading superficially and furthermore can make iridescent glass bottles. The glass bottles are very security and wellbeing. The glass jugs can hold acidic alcohol as its capacity of erosion obstruction and corrosive consumption.
2019-2-2
Use props
MC Glass
New

United States

custom glass bottle manufacturer

As custom glass bottle manufacturer MC Glass knows the secrests designing unique containers for liquor, whisky, vodka, juice, water and oil.
2022-9-13
Use props
bestwaterbottle
New

United States

This water glass bottle is designed for still water, sparkling water, spring water, soda water, mineral water drinks. Glass drinking bottle is non toxic material, safe and heathy for people. Our 330ml 500ml glass water bottle is suitable with screw-on lid and MCA lids, perfect for water bottling. Discovering custom glass bottles for water, contact us today.
330ml 500ml glass water bottle.jpg
2022-10-13
Use props
bestwaterbottle
New

United States

This water glass bottle is designed for still water, sparkling water, spring water, soda water, mineral water drinks. Glass drinking bottle is non toxic material, safe and heathy for people. Our 330ml 500ml glass water bottle is suitable with screw-on lid and MCA lids, perfect for water bottling. Discovering custom glass bottles for water, contact us today.
2022-10-13
Use props
bestwaterbottle
New

United States

2022-10-13
Use props
MC Glass
New

United States

2022-11-17
Use props
MC Glass
New

United States

2022-11-17
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In terms of distance flown most of my flying is over water and I have never felt the need for floatation but I fly over salt water with waves so any water landing is going to be assumed to be fatal to the drone. The memory card and plastics should survive but I doubt much else will.

Bear in mind the added wind drag of anything you add to the drone.
2022-11-17
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

Cool! Thanks for sharing!
2022-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules