Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying at night
5357 6 2019-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans44006578
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2246841 ft
United States

I have a good deal of flight time under my belt, however, I have been afraid to fly at night.  Just read/heard stories of the drones not being able to "see" at night and that they are difficult to control and/or may loose control.  

I want to get some night videos / pics but just dont want to risk the drone.  

Anyone do this frequently?  Any advice?

Obviously I know I need a clear and open area for landing - what else?  Is it just as easy as in the daytime?
2019-1-22
Use props
spandit
First Officer
Flight distance : 65463 ft

United Kingdom

Your obstacle avoidance won't work, it won't be able to see the ground so precision landing is out and if the GPS goes, finding your way is more difficult. If you're taking off from a well known and open area, then you should be OK
2019-1-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Hope you'll get the best recommendation in regards on flying at night, however, we would like to inform you that the sensors of the drone may not work properly if there would be not enough light while flying. Thank you for understanding and always have a safe flight.
2019-1-22
Use props
Asainz320
Captain
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

I love flying at night, its mostly what I do. In my opinion its a lot easier for me to see the drone from farther away. I dont mind the sensors not working since I really dont rely on them when flying my drone. Also usually at night the wind is calmer. Try it out, you will enjoy it
2019-1-22
Use props
BKahuna
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

I fly at night frequently.  I actually find it easier than flying during the day.  You can see your drone in the sky much more easily at night and for a much greater distance.  The flashing lights are easy to see.  Yes, you are flying blind, yes, you have no collision avoidance.  I set an altitude that I know is above everything else.  I don't think I would fly somewhere I hadn't already flown during daylight.

The drone will mark the home point as it takes off and RTH will bring it home to within about 10 ft of the home point.  It will land fine (but not with precision) if you let it.  If you need a more precise landing, you'll have to take over and guide it in.

There's no reason to be afraid of the dark!
2019-1-22
Use props
Alex B.
Captain
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I have 0 issues flying at night. For me it’s the same as during the day, only not as many things to see as it’s pitch black
The city lights at night and long exposure shots turn out very nice during the night!

Flysafely
Alex
2019-1-22
Use props
DPOV
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think you've asked and answered your own question. Keep the fear upfront. For me NO. Rather get my footage with good sunlight. Footage will probably only be worth it if you're in say Miami where you can likely be near water, decent reflective lighting from the street to capture good shots.
2019-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules