Osmo Pocket. calibrating gimbal
8185 36 2019-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
egargiulo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5000 ft
Italy

I have a OP. After calibrating the gimbal on a perfectly leveled plane and with the tilt blocked, I can not have a perfectly level horizon. Are there any other settings? what can I do more?
2019-1-22
Use props
edwardyyy
lvl.4
Hong Kong

You cannot check it like this. Your camera sensor may not parallel to your level ruler.
2019-1-23
Use props
egargiulo
lvl.4
Italy

edwardyyy Posted at 1-23 08:03
You cannot check it like this. Your camera sensor may not parallel to your level ruler.

it is parallel
2019-1-23
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I sort of agree with edwardyyy. At the very least do the calibration on a table in the middle of a reasonably sized room with nothing that near the Osmo Pocket while it calibrates. On top of that, horizons can be out, it's verticals in the center of the image that should be of concern. This is not a good test example.
2019-1-23
Use props
edwardyyy
lvl.4
Hong Kong

How can you tell they are parallel? If you can handheld freely your OP and 100% sure it is parallel to something far away, then you don’t need a 3-axis gimble. You only need a 1-axis gimble! You have a magic hand!
2019-1-23
Use props
egargiulo
lvl.4
Italy

edwardyyy Posted at 1-23 19:18
How can you tell they are parallel? If you can handheld freely your OP and 100% sure it is parallel to something far away, then you don’t need a 3-axis gimble. You only need a 1-axis gimble! You have a magic hand!

I placed the OP on a slider placed vertically and parallel to the piece of furniture where the level is positioned
2019-1-23
Use props
egargiulo
lvl.4
Italy

edwardyyy Posted at 1-23 19:18
How can you tell they are parallel? If you can handheld freely your OP and 100% sure it is parallel to something far away, then you don’t need a 3-axis gimble. You only need a 1-axis gimble! You have a magic hand!

I post a video here where you can see both the cornice of the building and the horizon of the sea not level. and now?
2019-1-23
Use props
edwardyyy
lvl.4
Hong Kong

egargiulo Posted at 1-23 22:11
I placed the OP on a slider placed vertically and parallel to the piece of furniture where the level is positioned

If they are parallel, the height of both sides should be equal.

2019-1-23
Use props
egargiulo
lvl.4
Italy

edwardyyy Posted at 1-23 23:33
If they are parallel, the height of both sides should be equal.

[view_image]

did you see the other video I posted?
2019-1-23
Use props
edwardyyy
lvl.4
Hong Kong

from your video, i think you have a reason to suspect. my suggestion is calibration & reconfirmation with a wider horizon. good luck.
2019-1-24
Use props
CruiseHabit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 93225 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've definitely run into situations where I had to calibrate a few times to get god results.  The simple solution (I suspect) is to allow for manual tweaking of the alignment as is done on the Osmo Mobile 2.  This would also save time so that right before recording I could simply tap a button once or twice rather than stopping, finding a flat surface, setting it down, letting the auto-calibration run, rechecking, and potentially recalibrating.  
2019-1-24
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

egargiulo Posted at 1-23 22:11
I placed the OP on a slider placed vertically and parallel to the piece of furniture where the level is positioned

I don't understand the phrase you are using here or your method for checking whether where you placed it was level.
I use a small circular level to check where I place my Osmo Pocket for calibration. You can get them for camera use or you may have better levels on a tripod. The bubble on your level looks slightly off and that's only in one direction. Horizons can look off no matter what. A wide-angle lens must be placed facing directly perpendicular to whatever you are facing or looking at to see if a horizon is out. Press to recenter your focus position first when you have your Pocket in position. Only verticals in the central portion of the image can be taken into account or horizons that maintain equal distance from left to right of center providing you are pointing straight ahead and are level with what you are trying to measure. If I look at individual frames of your video and adjust for any central vertical in the center of the frame, it would seem you have an average of a .07 degree lean down to the right of the frame.  That could easily be down to not placing it on a completely level surface.  Also, make sure you try any testing in the Tilt Lock mode and definitely not in FPV.
You could have a problem and I wouldn't rule that out, but make sure any testing is vigorously thorough first and that you understand the problems associated with perspective.
2019-1-24
Use props
egargiulo
lvl.4
Italy

Ray-CubeAce pubblicato a 1-24 14:31
Non capisco la frase che si sta utilizzando il metodo qui o per verificare se, dove è stato posizionato era di livello.
Io uso un piccolo livello di circolare per verificare dove metto la mia Osmo tasca per la calibrazione. È possibile ottenere per l'uso della macchina fotografica o si può avere livelli migliori su un treppiede. La bolla del vostro livello sembra un po 'fuori e questo è solo in una direzione. Orizzonti possono guardare fuori non importa quale. Un obiettivo grandangolare deve essere posizionato direttamente di fronte perpendicolare a tutto ciò che è di fronte o guardando per vedere se un orizzonte è fuori. Premere per centrare nuovamente la propria posizione di messa a fuoco prima quando si ha il Pocket in posizione. Solo verticali nella parte centrale dell'immagine possono essere prese in considerazione o orizzonti che mantengono uguale distanza da sinistra a destra del centro che fornisce si punta dritto e sono a livello con ciò che si sta cercando di misurare. Se guardo i singoli fotogrammi del video e regolare per qualsiasi centrale verticale nel centro della cornice, sembrerebbe si ha una media di un .07 grado di povertà in basso a destra del telaio. Che potrebbe facilmente essere giù di non averla collocata su una superficie completamente piana. Inoltre, assicuratevi di provare qualsiasi test in modalità di blocco inclinazione e sicuramente non in FPV.
Si potrebbe avere un problema e non escluderei che fuori, ma assicurarsi che qualsiasi test è vigorosamente approfondita prima e di aver compreso i problemi associati con la prospettiva.
thanks to everyone and to you for qualified intervention. I am an architect and therefore I know the problems of perspective well. So ... I leveled the floor on a bubble stand. so I placed the OP on that plane and, after a reset, I started the calibration without moving the OP. then, I blocked the tilt and mounted the OP on a slider in a vertical position parallel to the object to be shot. The results are the ones you've seen. To have the building leveled I had to rotate it by 0.8 °. Perhaps you can not expect more from a toy. I also asked the Support, but it did not give me any advice but to send it to be verified ... You have these problems or perhaps for the types of shooting you have not had the opportunity to highlight these anomalies? Of course if I shoot with face tracking or people in the foreground without references to level plans the problem does not notice ..... however
2019-1-25
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

egargiulo Posted at 1-25 00:15
thanks to everyone and to you for qualified intervention. I am an architect and therefore I know the problems of perspective well. So ... I leveled the floor on a bubble stand. so I placed the OP on that plane and, after a reset, I started the calibration without moving the OP. then, I blocked the tilt and mounted the OP on a slider in a vertical position parallel to the object to be shot. The results are the ones you've seen. To have the building leveled I had to rotate it by 0.8 °. Perhaps you can not expect more from a toy. I also asked the Support, but it did not give me any advice but to send it to be verified ... You have these problems or perhaps for the types of shooting you have not had the opportunity to highlight these anomalies? Of course if I shoot with face tracking or people in the foreground without references to level plans the problem does not notice ..... however

OK. Some clarity of your needs are becoming apparent. I would not classify the Osmo Pocket as a toy, but at the same time, it is not sold as being a tool suitable for the purpose of surveying
I think your expectations because of the nature of your work, may be different and more demanding than from other users. I can see why this discrepancy may be of annoyance to you and there is a very slight tilt visible which may be slightly more than usual. I can't confirm this from my unit as I have no similar views locally to compare it to but I will try today to find a similar viewpoint to shoot from to compare.  
DJI's own specifications for the gimbal of this product and the use of calibration is for the reduction of drift caused by human error or nearby magnetic interference only. That second part about magnetic interference may be of concern. At home, my calibration is done on a large glass table with no ferrous metal in its construction. That was more by luck than judgment.  If the Pocket is sensitive to metallic objects then it may be you need to keep it more than a few feet away from anything metal while calibrating. It may be worth making sure that you are not near anything metal when conducting these video tests as well.  It's just a thought to see if it can make a difference to your experience.
2019-1-25
Use props
egargiulo
lvl.4
Italy

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-25 00:54
OK. Some clarity of your needs are becoming apparent. I would not classify the Osmo Pocket as a toy, but at the same time, it is not sold as being a tool suitable for the purpose of surveying
I think your expectations because of the nature of your work, may be different and more demanding than from other users. I can see why this discrepancy may be of annoyance to you and there is a very slight tilt visible which may be slightly more than usual. I can't confirm this from my unit as I have no similar views locally to compare it to but I will try today to find a similar viewpoint to shoot from to compare.  
DJI's own specifications for the gimbal of this product and the use of calibration is for the reduction of drift caused by human error or nearby magnetic interference only. That second part about magnetic interference may be of concern. At home, my calibration is done on a large glass table with no ferrous metal in its construction. That was more by luck than judgment.  If the Pocket is sensitive to metallic objects then it may be you need to keep it more than a few feet away from anything metal while calibrating. It may be worth making sure that you are not near anything metal when conducting these video tests as well.  It's just a thought to see if it can make a difference to your experience.

thank you very much and I look forward to a video for a comparison. However, it is true. I do not think that Op is made for professional expectations but a bubble horizon is an entry level requirement. However I wait for your video and I try as soon as I can to redo the calibration not on a tripod .... even if other times I did it on a plane far from metals. The DJI engineers could implement the next firmware with manual adjustment of the gimbal (+/-) as it is also in the Phantom4
2019-1-25
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

egargiulo Posted at 1-25 01:03
thank you very much and I look forward to a video for a comparison. However, it is true. I do not think that Op is made for professional expectations but a bubble horizon is an entry level requirement. However I wait for your video and I try as soon as I can to redo the calibration not on a tripod .... even if other times I did it on a plane far from metals. The DJI engineers could implement the next firmware with manual adjustment of the gimbal (+/-) as it is also in the Phantom4

Unfortunately, my work didn't take me anywhere near a place I could use for a comparison today but I should have better luck tomorrow. I don't have any other Dji products and wasn't aware you could adjust their other products gimbals manually. It would be a nice feature to have if that is the problem.
2019-1-25
Use props
egargiulo
lvl.4
Italy

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-25 11:46
Unfortunately, my work didn't take me anywhere near a place I could use for a comparison today but I should have better luck tomorrow. I don't have any other Dji products and wasn't aware you could adjust their other products gimbals manually. It would be a nice feature to have if that is the problem.

ok, do not worry, I'll wait for tomorrow
2019-1-25
Use props
Chris1a
lvl.3
Flight distance : 801 ft
Sweden

What happens if you reset the Osmo? The below steps were offered by DJI to someone here who had issues with the focus, of course we all know the Osmo Pocket couldn't focus on an elephant, so it was a pretty useless advice. But might be worth a shot and see if that sea line gets aligned or not.

1. Turn OFF your Osmo pocket
2. Take out your SD card.
3. Turn ON your Osmo pocket - without the SD card.
4. Reset your Osmo pocket.
5. Turn it off after the reset.
6. Set in your SD card.
7. Turn on your Osmo pocket, do your settings and trye to shoot something.
Edit: The "do your settings" obviously shouldn't include any new calibrations, before testing.
2019-1-25
Use props
egargiulo
lvl.4
Italy

Chris1a Posted at 1-25 13:43
What happens if you reset the Osmo? The below steps were offered by DJI to someone here who had issues with the focus, of course we all know the Osmo Pocket couldn't focus on an elephant, so it was a pretty useless advice. But might be worth a shot and see if that sea line gets aligned or not.

1. Turn OFF your Osmo pocket

thank you very much for your contribution. Then you say that, after the reset, I should not calibrate the gimbal. is that it? I tried as you said without card, with reset and without calibration, but still nothing .... I always have a rotation of 1 °. If there was the possibility of a manual adjustment for the gimbal as in the Phantom4 ... i read from Manual "Adjusting the Gimbal Manually... The tilt angle of Osmo Pocket can be adjusted manually. In Motionlapse, the pan angle can also be adjusted manually."  .. Gimbal and Handle Settings: calibrate the gimbal and turn Gimbal Easy Control on and off. Turn on Gimbal Easy control to control tilt and pan axes with one virtual joystick. Turn o  to control tilt and pan axes on two separate virtual joysticks."  How?
2019-1-25
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

egargiulo Posted at 1-25 23:02
thank you very much for your contribution. Then you say that, after the reset, I should not calibrate the gimbal. is that it? I tried as you said without card, with reset and without calibration, but still nothing .... I always have a rotation of 1 °. If there was the possibility of a manual adjustment for the gimbal as in the Phantom4 ... i read from Manual "Adjusting the Gimbal Manually... The tilt angle of Osmo Pocket can be adjusted manually. In Motionlapse, the pan angle can also be adjusted manually."  .. Gimbal and Handle Settings: calibrate the gimbal and turn Gimbal Easy Control on and off. Turn on Gimbal Easy control to control tilt and pan axes with one virtual joystick. Turn o  to control tilt and pan axes on two separate virtual joysticks."  How?

You manhandle the gimbal. It feels like it's resisting so at first I was wary of doing it but it can be done. Only when using Motionlapse though.
2019-1-26
Use props
egargiulo
lvl.4
Italy

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-26 05:17
You manhandle the gimbal. It feels like it's resisting so at first I was wary of doing it but it can be done. Only when using Motionlapse though.

motion lapse? I moved the gimbal with my hand but go back ... what should happen? can you post a video? is it a permanent setup or a temporary adjustment just for that shot?
2019-1-26
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

egargiulo Posted at 1-26 05:58
motion lapse? I moved the gimbal with my hand but go back ... what should happen? can you post a video? is it a permanent setup or a temporary adjustment just for that shot?

Tempory for that shot I'm afraid. The default mode is when you tap the screen twice is to look straight ahead with the focus point being central for every other shooting mode. There is no real manual adjustment beyond the movement of the gimbal for setting up beginning and end points for motion pan timelapse.
There are several odd foibles with using the Osmo Pocket.

Quite short 'long exposures' due to the extra wide fixed aperture possibly. Not sure why.
Manual says eight seconds maximum. So far I've not even managed to get one that long.

3x3 panorama focusing.
If you have a lot of sky in one of your 3x3 panoramas it will often focus more on the background than the object you are trying to take. There is no manual focus on panoramas you can set before you start.
Equally, you can never be absolutely sure a 3x3 panorama will come out with the same aspect ratio every time. Often the top portion of a 3x3 will not be processed fully.
Exposure also seems to be taken on the first frame and each subsequent frame of a 3x3 and seems to use the same value.

Timelapse.
Quite a long minimum duration between shots taken. 3 seconds in most situations is quite a long time.
2019-1-26
Use props
Chris1a
lvl.3
Flight distance : 801 ft
Sweden

egargiulo Posted at 1-25 23:02
thank you very much for your contribution. Then you say that, after the reset, I should not calibrate the gimbal. is that it? I tried as you said without card, with reset and without calibration, but still nothing .... I always have a rotation of 1 °. If there was the possibility of a manual adjustment for the gimbal as in the Phantom4 ... i read from Manual "Adjusting the Gimbal Manually... The tilt angle of Osmo Pocket can be adjusted manually. In Motionlapse, the pan angle can also be adjusted manually."  .. Gimbal and Handle Settings: calibrate the gimbal and turn Gimbal Easy Control on and off. Turn on Gimbal Easy control to control tilt and pan axes with one virtual joystick. Turn o  to control tilt and pan axes on two separate virtual joysticks."  How?

That's the only advice I had, I don't know anything else then to speak with the support or the store and have it replaced via warranty (as a last resort).

About adjusting the gimbal. When you are shooting regular video (and photos as well I believe), you can adjust the tilt angle (up & down) with your fingers. There is also a small slider on the Osmo Pocket screen, on the right side, that will tilt the gimbal up and down. That slider can be switched on and off in the settings of the Osmo Pocket. Trying to pan the gimbal with your hand will only have the motors working overtime, not recommended.

However when shooting motion lapses, you can use your hand to set the panning and the tilt freely.

The easy control refers to the virtual joystick you have in MIMO on the phone, you can either have it set to one virtual joystick, that controls both the tilt and pan axis, or two separate joysticks for each axis.
2019-1-26
Use props
edwardyyy
lvl.4
Hong Kong

OP's gimbal calibration is not related to the level of the resting surface or the calibrating environment. It only related to the gyro-sensor inside the camera. The gyro is set in the right position related to the lens axis inside the factory. Unluckily, it's not perfect every time. Mine is rotated about < 0.3 degree clockwise, that is OK for me. egariulo's OP is about >0.8 degree clockwise, that's making people not feeling very good! I think the only solution is allowing a manual & additional adjustment.
2019-1-26
Use props
egargiulo
lvl.4
Italy

edwardyyy Posted at 1-26 20:22
OP's gimbal calibration is not related to the level of the resting surface or the calibrating environment. It only related to the gyro-sensor inside the camera. The gyro is set in the right position related to the lens axis inside the factory. Unluckily, it's not perfect every time. Mine is rotated about < 0.3 degree clockwise, that is OK for me. egariulo's OP is about >0.8 degree clockwise, that's making people not feeling very good! I think the only solution is allowing a manual & additional adjustment.

"I think the only solution is allowing a manual & additional adjustment." How?
2019-1-27
Use props
egargiulo
lvl.4
Italy

the DJI support, administrators do not intervene on the issue that I have placed? it's strange because even other users complain about the same defect of inclination of the gimbal
2019-1-27
Use props
edwardyyy
lvl.4
Hong Kong

egargiulo Posted at 1-27 02:00
"I think the only solution is allowing a manual & additional adjustment." How?

hope dji will release this restriction in the future
2019-1-27
Use props
gionpi
lvl.1

Hello, I'm an architect too, I'm planning to buy OP for survey, I need photos with vertical lines perpendicular so I can use it to build a photoscan dense point cloud. As I read the OP isn't the best...

Che dici collega?
2019-9-23
Use props
ietottoje
lvl.1

same problem here, the camera isn't perfectly level no matter how many calibrations are done.
There should be a manual options for adjusting that, as well as an option to adjust follow speed and rate and angle at which it starts to engage.
Those settings are basic for any great gimbal, it is stupid to have "PRO" settings and not having those as well. Without manual adjustment on how gimbal reacts to movement it is impossible to get a good footage of certain things: for instance with current "slow" or "fast" gimbal acts like a jerk when you going on round abouts or ride on a velodrome. Please add this.
2019-9-23
Use props
ietottoje
lvl.1

with "slow" setting it engages too late and then it fails keep up with the pace and start to accelerate and decelerate all the time being very far from the center pint, while with the "fast" setting it accelerates way too fast which again lead to loose of "flow" in the picture.

Also it would be great to be able to turn off auto-orientation feature or be able to choose which one you want at all times. It is terrible when you record horizontal clip and suddenly osmo pocket flips its lens in to a vertical state. That happens all the time when it is mounted on a bike helmet while leaning in a sharp turn.
2019-9-23
Use props
Simo83
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72201 ft
Italy

egargiulo Posted at 2019-1-27 02:08
the DJI support, administrators do not intervene on the issue that I have placed? it's strange because even other users complain about the same defect of inclination of the gimbal

Good evening everybody,
Unfortunately I am experiencing the same issue...did anybody find any solution?!
It seems impossible that we bought a gimballed camera...and now we have to edit our not-levelled clips!!!
2020-1-6
Use props
Siunesis
New
Italy

Hi there, this is actually a problem. My Osmo Pocket has a slightly tilted horizon (clockwise). This seems a minor issue, but it is actually very frustrating. Can DJI answer on this?
2020-4-8
Use props
Simo83
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72201 ft
Italy

Siunesis Posted at 4-8 00:34
Hi there, this is actually a problem. My Osmo Pocket has a slightly tilted horizon (clockwise). This seems a minor issue, but it is actually very frustrating. Can DJI answer on this?

Hi my friend...

I raised this issue on dji but they didn't help me.
I don't understand why they do not take care of this issue!!!

You can notice my tilted horizon on this old image...I obviously have done all the procedures dji wants us to do...

Really sad.

Simo
AAE390CC-FD61-49D3-B945-8417111DCAE6.jpeg
2020-4-9
Use props
Siunesis
New
Italy

Simo83 Posted at 4-9 08:21
Hi my friend...

I raised this issue on dji but they didn't help me.

Still no update on this issue?

Does anybody has the same problem?
2020-5-4
Use props
van gogh
lvl.1
Indonesia

Just bought osmo pocket, I notice that the gimbal cannot keep OP re center when moving, in tilt locked and follow mode Op failed to re center, always slightly off center. I use slow follow.
2020-10-1
Use props
denz
New
United States

Picked up a DJI Osmo Pocket (1st gen) recently and I'm noticing that all of my videos / images are skewed 0.9deg clockwise. I've tried:

- calibrating on a countertop
- calibrating on a table
- calibrating on the floor
- calibrating with a piece of paper wedged to create a "counter" skew

All to no avail. Seems like the gimbal really likes 0.9deg?

Manual adjustment would be great, but I can't seem to locate any such setting. Has anyone managed to find a solution yet?
2021-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules