Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
8 Drones Have Fallen From The Sky
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dronesflyhigh
New

United States

In the past three months, my company and our clients/partners have experienced 8 DJI failures where the drone falls from the sky without warning. We have reached out to DJI on many occasions and the responses from the support team have contained no useful information. They are unwilling to escalate this issue or give it the attention it deserves, considering we are experiencing a failure rate of nearly 5%.

More facts on the 8 failures:
  • 5 different pilots
  • 5 different locations
  • 7 failures while flying Drone Deploy
  • 1 failure while flying Grond Station Pro
  • 7 failures using Inspire 1 (all v2 except for one or two)
  • 1 failure of Phantom 4 Pro v1
  • 7 unique drones (one crashed again after repair)

All of the logs we have been able to review don't show any anomolous behavior. Everything is running smoothly then, poof, the drone falls from the sky.

We have uncovered two very interesting pieces of information. In all four cases where images were captured on the same flight as the crash, two things occur:

1) The drone keeps capturing images even after it stops recording in the flight log and the drone begins to fall from the sky. In at least a couple cases, these images even transmit back to the RC. This is strange behavior considering the log stops recording and there is an apparent loss of power.

2) The GPS coordinates of the last few images captured are abnormal. In three of the cases, two or three of the last images have the exact same coordinates, down to over a dozen decimal places. In the fourth case, three images captured near the point in time where the drone fell from the sky have empty coordinates.

For the other four cases, the drones either crashed on their way to the first waypoint (so no images have been captured yet) or we haven't able to recover those images, at least not yet.

Between these two pieces of information, I suspect that there is a failure of the flight controller, such as a reboot, which kills power to the motors and to the flight log. Because the camera remains on and images have transmitted back to the RC, I suspect it's not a power failure.

Has anyone experienced a similar failure? Or does anyone have any ideas for what could be occurring and how to prevent future failures? Thank you in advance for the help on this serious issue!

2019-1-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Old drone models
2019-1-25
Use props
HyperSpectral
lvl.4
Flight distance : 839160 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 1-25 00:42
Old drone models

3-4 years is not old nor does it excuse having such a high failure rate. The risk is very high for the OP considering all the failures
2019-1-25
Use props
ToscanaDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13833304 ft
  • >>>
Italy

So...

• 7 failure with Inspire 1 & Drone Deploy
  • 1 failure with Phantom 4 & and GSPro

...is correct?

Drone Deploy is not made by DJI... for this reason there will be no assistance from DJI.
2019-1-25
Use props
HyperSpectral
lvl.4
United States

Based on your profile, you should know a lot about these systems. The sUAS only handles acceptable parameters through the SDK, especially in mapping. It basically tells the system where to go at a defined speed and orientation.

I wouldn't blame DroneDeploy at all, they probably just use it the most. There's a small chance DroneDeploy is sending some ridiculous command through the SDK, but I doubt it.
2019-1-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HyperSpectral Posted at 1-25 04:55
3-4 years is not old nor does it excuse having such a high failure rate. The risk is very high for the OP considering all the failures

3-4 years in ancient in the world of tech.
2019-1-25
Use props
dronesflyhigh
New

United States

DJI just sent me an email saying that they have heard from headquarters and that all they can say is that it was a "hardware failure," which is not helpful.

The Inspire 1 has been the work horse for our company, consistently delivering the best results. At least one of the Inspire 1 v2s that crashed was purchased less than a year ago. Plus we have seen this failure with a P4P as well.

Obviously 7 failures with Drone Deploy is concerning. Drone Deploy has been helpful and communicative in our investigation, unlike DJI. Also, we have had one crash with Ground Station Pro which is what they are calling a "hardware failure."
2019-1-25
Use props
HyperSpectral
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 1-25 11:00
3-4 years in ancient in the world of tech.

Something that can shoot 4k and utilize a 640x512 thermal camera is far from ancient. It fits a role and it's not a burden in size. It shouldn't randomly start falling out of the sky in 3-4 years.
2019-1-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HyperSpectral Posted at 1-25 15:47
Something that can shoot 4k and utilize a 640x512 thermal camera is far from ancient. It fits a role and it's not a burden in size. It shouldn't randomly start falling out of the sky in 3-4 years.

I'm not referring to the drone being a burden, it's size or use from a practicality perspective - I'm referring to the technology - four years is totally ancient. And 8 cases of drones randomly falling out of the sky all from the same OP - whatever! Glad to see there are millions of drones that don't - including the ten I have owned which includes a good old Inspire 1.  
2019-1-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dronesflyhigh Posted at 1-25 14:43
DJI just sent me an email saying that they have heard from headquarters and that all they can say is that it was a "hardware failure," which is not helpful.

The Inspire 1 has been the work horse for our company, consistently delivering the best results. At least one of the Inspire 1 v2s that crashed was purchased less than a year ago. Plus we have seen this failure with a P4P as well.

Hardware failure? Figures given the age of the drones - nothing lasts for ever.
2019-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules