PgyTech ND Filters for one month and why I love them.
2161 13 2019-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

After using the Pgytech 4 ND/PL set for a month. I figure I should share why I really like them and why I'm ordering more of them. I'm not going to compare them to the different brands and I know there are other brands out there with adjustable circular polarizer or a lower price. So, why did I decide to get more from Pgytech instead of trying some other brands? There are a few reasons and none of it have to do with lense/contruction quality at all as I assume all the ones at a similar price point will do a good enough job.

1:  Ease of use. I've watched a bunch of reviews on the other brands and while they all seems to have a good protective case, there are a lot of complains about the way they opens and the way filters were held in the case (foam mostly). It makes them hard to get to and get out. Especially if you're trying to do it with the pocket in one hand. By comparison, the Pgytech hard plastic case is easy to open, push down on the side and it snap open, the magnetised case cover then attach itself to the bottom of the case. The Filters ae held in molded slots via magnet so it's easy to grab or slot one back in place even if you're swapping filters.

2: Fast setup time. My use for the OP is causal travel and everyday stuff that I find interesting or at the spur of the moment. Most of the time, I'm not going to have time to attach my phone which means that I won't be able to take advantage of an adjustable circular polarizer or afford the time it would take to set it up using the phone screen (which you need to do using an adjustable polarizer). But Being an experienced photographer dating back to film cameras, I know ND filters well. I don't need to use the pro mode to calculate exposure reduction and which ND number I need for the current lighting condition. I can just grab the proper filter out of the case by experience and start filming. That's much faster and having a fixed polarizer is still better than no polarizer at all.

3:  Graduated filters. Yes, they are very situational but they're certainly useful when you need them. I just ordered the ND8-GR, ND16-4, ND32-8 and they seems to be the only Graduated set available now.

I know my reasons for choosing Pgytech does not apply to everyone but I just want ot share my experience.

2019-1-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Wiz33. Thank you for sharing these information and for the inquiry. Just a friendly reminder to please make sure that we will use an accessory that will be compatible with your unit. Kindly be cautious when using third-party accessory to avoid damage to the DJI Osmo Pocket. Thank you for your support.
2019-1-24
Use props
cEQtBhqjyKJB
lvl.3
Canada

I thought the use of ND filters would require one to manually set shutter speed and iso in order to get the effect to tone down harsh hightlights and increase motion blur, and by using the auto mode on the pocket would defeat that purpose or am I wrong?
2019-1-24
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

cEQtBhqjyKJB Posted at 1-24 14:29
I thought the use of ND filters would require one to manually set shutter speed and iso in order to get the effect to tone down harsh hightlights and increase motion blur, and by using the auto mode on the pocket would defeat that purpose or am I wrong?

They will help a lot even in auto mode to slow down the shutter speed on bright sunny days or out in open space.  If you're an experienced ND filter user (from photography), you don't need the pro mode to calculate which filter number will benefit you in the current lighting condition.
2019-1-24
Use props
fans07ca3163
lvl.3
United States

Doesn’t that assume that to compensate auto mode will slow the shutter instead of bumping ISO? Do we know that auto mode will adjust shutter speed first? If so that’s a pretty good way to get good exposure and nice motion blur which you can do in pro mode. But doesn’t help much if auto will just bump ISO from 100 to 200 etc.
2019-1-24
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans07ca3163 Posted at 1-24 14:48
Doesn’t that assume that to compensate auto mode will slow the shutter instead of bumping ISO? Do we know that auto mode will adjust shutter speed first? If so that’s a pretty good way to get good exposure and nice motion blur which you can do in pro mode. But doesn’t help much if auto will just bump ISO from 100 to 200 etc.

According to a bunch of reviews on the OP and ND filters, It seems that the OP default setting is shutter priority,
2019-1-24
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

One more point, The thicker sloted casing makes it much easier to handle compared to those with thinner/smooth casing. If you look at 1:45 mark on the video below, you can see how easy it was to remove even while you're shooting with very little disruption.

2019-1-25
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

An into the sunset shot with the ND32 PL, works pretty well.

2019-1-25
Use props
CubbyJonson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

using ND filters on the OP in auto does not affect iso it only alters shutter speed
2019-1-26
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing!
2019-1-27
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Just got in the Graduated filter set and I also have the Freewell Light Pollution filter on the way, I'll try to have some pictures up in the next day or 2 but videos will have to wait as rain is forecast for the next week.
2019-2-9
Use props
darrins
lvl.4
United States

Do they PGYTECH filters have any protection from scratching the lens of the OP? I worry if I’m a little clumsy, the metal back of the filter may damage the lens. I saw another brand that had a coating to protect, do these have anything like that?
2019-2-9
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I already have a set of lens/screen protector installed so I'm not worried but I'll take some pictures for you.

I use this set

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2019-2-9
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

darrins Posted at 2-9 11:10
Do they PGYTECH filters have any protection from scratching the lens of the OP? I worry if I’m a little clumsy, the metal back of the filter may damage the lens. I saw another brand that had a coating to protect, do these have anything like that?

The slotted casing on the Pgytech makes it so easy to handle, I use them on the Japan portion of my trip before I got the lens protector over the lens and I have never worried about scratching the lens.
2019-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules