Battery falls out during flight
2187 19 2019-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IHC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24813 ft
United States

Yet another instance of this happening...and another example of DJI NOT taking responsibility for this problem.  This is my first drone ever...and my last from DJI.  They have lost a customer (and hopefully many more that read this) all because they refuse to own this problem.  All for a $75 repair that they absolutely should cover under warranty.
Summary:
  • Purchased in November 2018 for  Christmas present.
  • After a few flights soon after Christmas, the battery suddenly fell out while flying indoors (luckily).  ~5ft.  Drone landed up side down but appeared OK other than scratches on props.
  • Made several more flights until I realized one prop was stiff (would not rotate freely like the others)
  • Began researching and found many instance of this problem so I filed a claim and sent my drone it.
  • DJI first replied that flight records show no problem and would not be covered.

• My reply:
With all due respect, your data analysis is not sufficient to tell the story.  The battery ejected during flight causing the unit to land upside down.  I watched it happen.  I am not trying to get away with anything here.  I am not a liar.  I have better things to do with my time than try to "get away" with something here.  This absolutely should be a warranty repair.  You can tell by looking at the propellers that all the damage is on the very top.  There is NO damage to the tips of the rotors or anywhere else that would indicated a collision.  Please escalate this to a higher level to be considered for warranty repair.

• DJI reply:
I understand where you are coming from. The result of the analysis is based on the flight records available. For us to determine the cause of the incident, please export the flight logs and cache from your mobile device and send it for analysis.

• I sent additional flight records with the following reply:
Video was not recording at the time of the incident.  I removed other irrelevant video from the DJI_Record folder but left the ".info" files.  Left all files in the analytics folder.
I believe the incident happened on 12/29/18.  Flight data record on that day with 5min 7ft Max Alt ends abruptly at 5ft alt 4mph horizontal speed with no "landing" indication at the end when the data is played back from the flight list.

• DHI replied again with the following statement:
I have received the feedback from our data analysis team and based on the result no product malfunction was found in the available flight records. The analyst went through all the flight logs and did not see or locate any crash.

• My reply:
The data wouldn't show or locate a crash since the battery fell out and it was indoors.  The only indication would be a lack of landing feedback at the end of the data I pointed out.  How do you explain that?

• I received no reply to that

There is clear obvious evidence of the battery ejecting by the suddend loss of flight data but at this point I just paid to have it fixed.  My only recourse now is to inform others of my experience and to shop elswhere in the future.  I did buy a battery clip.

Good luck everyone.
2019-1-25
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Get the battery clip on amazon.
Ah ok, you did buy it

Fly safely
Alex
2019-1-25
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

DJI should have this problem fixed long ago. Even with the longer clips batteries can still come loose.
2019-1-25
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Was there a post with your logs? If wasn't, can you just give us these logs and we try to provide our own investigation?
2019-1-25
Use props
IHC
lvl.1
United States

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10xy-kTVRTHfkoNlBV2P7cAwx87DBn06a
2019-1-25
Use props
fans6f66f9da
lvl.4
United States

hope some dji admins respond to this!!! please help this pilot out! the spark is so much fun until it malfunctions
2019-1-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi IHC, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Could you tell us your case number? We'd like to check the exact status and try our best to help.
2019-1-25
Use props
darkfull1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

That sucks. And your drone was not flying hight (it might have been worse). You should buy a battery clip it's safer. DJI has not solved this issue yet even with the longer clip (which are not really that longer) so the only option is to buy a clip.
2019-1-25
Use props
IHC
lvl.1
United States

fans6f66f9da Posted at 1-25 16:24
hope some dji admins respond to this!!! please help this pilot out! the spark is so much fun until it malfunctions

Thank you.  It is very fun and incredibly impressive but all that means very little without support.
2019-1-26
Use props
IHC
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 1-25 18:42
Hi IHC, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Could you tell us your case number? We'd like to check the exact status and try our best to help.

Hi Susan,
Case number is CAS-2630407-Y7R6W8.  I appreciate your attention.
Thank you
2019-1-26
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

just read from one of the websites that DJI have removed from their employees list nearly 29 people owing to work related issues and overcharging customers.

Hope they dont have any work pressure from here onwards !
2019-1-26
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Just wondering. Did you remember hearing the battery click when you put it in ? I’m happy DJI is looking into this for you.  
2019-1-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

IHC Posted at 1-26 09:47
Hi Susan,
Case number is CAS-2630407-Y7R6W8.  I appreciate your attention.
Thank you

Received with thanks! Upon checking the case log and all flight records you offered, we're sorry that we do not find the crash data. I'm afraid that warranty service cannot be offered in this kind of situation. Also, the package has been sent out, you may check the tracking number later, thank you!
2019-1-27
Use props
ghale
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1801362 ft
Italy

Alex B. Posted at 1-25 10:19
Get the battery clip on amazon.
Ah ok, you did buy it

Hello Alex,
is battery clip really necessary?
I've not received yet my Spark so I have time to buy it.
2019-1-28
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

ghale Posted at 1-28 00:18
Hello Alex,
is battery clip really necessary?
I've not received yet my Spark so I have time to buy it.

Yes, get it.
It’s better to be safe than sorry!

Fly safely
Alex
2019-1-28
Use props
ghale
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1801362 ft
Italy

Alex B. Posted at 1-28 00:28
Yes, get it.
It’s better to be safe than sorry!

Buying now.
Thanks!
2019-1-28
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer

Spain

ghale Posted at 1-28 00:38
Buying now.
Thanks!

You are welcome

Fly safely and enjoy
Alex
2019-1-28
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

I wouldn't' fly without the battery clip, no point to take any chance crashing and/or losing the AC.
2019-1-28
Use props
IHC
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 1-27 23:27
Received with thanks! Upon checking the case log and all flight records you offered, we're sorry that we do not find the crash data. I'm afraid that warranty service cannot be offered in this kind of situation. Also, the package has been sent out, you may check the tracking number later, thank you!

Thanks for nothing.  As previously asked and not answered, how can "crash" data exist if battery fell out.  How can it continue to record flight data with no power source?  Also, as previously pointed out, there is a flight record that abruptly ends at speed and altitude with no "landing" indication when played back on the app.  All other flights have a normal takeoff->landing record.  No explanation was offered for that either and to me is enough circumstantial evidence along with the type of damage incurred prove my claim.

Please don't bother replying and keep my $75 which I guarantee cost you a $1000+ sale as I will surely invest in a higher end model in the future...just not with DJI.

Customer service isn't even a thing any more.
2019-1-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

IHC Posted at 1-31 13:44
Thanks for nothing.  As previously asked and not answered, how can "crash" data exist if battery fell out.  How can it continue to record flight data with no power source?  Also, as previously pointed out, there is a flight record that abruptly ends at speed and altitude with no "landing" indication when played back on the app.  All other flights have a normal takeoff->landing record.  No explanation was offered for that either and to me is enough circumstantial evidence along with the type of damage incurred prove my claim.

Please don't bother replying and keep my $75 which I guarantee cost you a $1000+ sale as I will surely invest in a higher end model in the future...just not with DJI.

Sorry for the late response due to the holiday. Could you advise which flight record do you refer to? It will be better to export the right one and send to us, I'll forward to the designated team for further review, thanks!
2019-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules