Battery auto-discharge
7676 22 2019-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

Can anyone tell me if the Spark battery has an auto-discharge like the Phantom does?
2019-1-25
Use props
62+
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1321991 ft
South Africa

Yes,  fixed auto-discharge after 10 days.
Not changeable.
2019-1-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. Thank you for the inquiry. The DJI Spark's Intelligent Flight Battery has the capability to auto discharge to prevent the drone's battery from swelling if not in use. For reference, I will post a link for the DJI Spark's User Manual. Thank you.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 0Manual%20V1.6-.pdf

2019-1-25
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Since the Spark batteries auto discharge (and slowly lose charge over time), it's important to maintain them properly to keep them in good shape. Check out this guide for more details:

HOW TO: Maintain and store your DJI Spark batteries
2019-1-25
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Beware of storing your batteries in these foam boxes. There were many incidents when it was flamed because of high temperature from discharging battery.
2019-1-25
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Lysak2003 Posted at 1-25 12:27
Beware of storing your batteries in these foam boxes. There were many incidents when it was flamed because of high temperature from discharging battery.

Interesting. Can you point us to even one known incident?
2019-1-25
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

msinger Posted at 1-25 12:38
Interesting. Can you point us to even one known incident?

Now, I can't. I didn't save links on this point just well remembered that. Few guys on this forum mentioned that and it really may sense.
2019-1-25
Use props
MccloudSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27562 ft

United States

Also note that if you press the button to check the battery level the 10 day counter resets and starts over.
2019-1-25
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

MccloudSpark Posted at 1-25 16:58
Also note that if you press the button to check the battery level the 10 day counter resets and starts over.

That is a really odd feature. My friends son got a Spark for Christmas so I'm trying to teach him about it.  Do you happen to know if the Phantom 4 has the same feature? I have a Phantom 4 and have not heard about it.
2019-1-25
Use props
darkfull1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

MccloudSpark Posted at 1-25 16:58

didn't knew that. Now it explain why my battery where not discharging since I was checking the charge everyday.
2019-1-25
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Lysak2003 Posted at 1-25 12:47
Now, I can't. I didn't save links on this point just well remembered that. Few guys on this forum mentioned that and it really may sense.

The fact that you cannot find any incidents probably means there really weren't as many as you remembered (if any at all).

DJI batteries rarely catch on fire. In fact, I've never heard of an undamaged DJI battery causing a fire.

When a battery is auto discharging, it does not get hot enough to burn whatever is surrounding it. And that's a good thing since many pilots are likely storing batteries in a case.
2019-1-26
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Lysak2003 Posted at 1-25 12:27

I doubt that!
They discharge ~35% (if full) over 2 days and mine are just getting hand warm.
What would happen then, if discharged in 12-15 minutes from 100-10% in the air but in  30° temp?
2019-1-26
Use props
MccloudSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27562 ft

United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 1-25 19:26
That is a really odd feature. My friends son got a Spark for Christmas so I'm trying to teach him about it.  Do you happen to know if the Phantom 4 has the same feature? I have a Phantom 4 and have not heard about it.

Don't know about the Phantom.  Yes it is an odd feature.  Programmers don't always think like the rest of us
2019-1-26
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

62+ Posted at 1-25 11:52
Yes,  fixed auto-discharge after 10 days.
Not changeable.

It can be changed within DJI Go 4 to be 10 days or less.

So it is not fixed & changeable up to 10 days.
62+  has not provided correct advise, according to my device options.
2019-1-26
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

https://forum.phantomhelp.com/t/ ... one-batteries/638/5
2019-1-27
Use props
62+
Second Officer
South Africa

Sparkz71 Posted at 1-26 23:35
[view_image]

Sorry if I'm wrong.
I do not have that function on my setup.
Using Android J5 and 4.2.12
2019-1-27
Use props
Chuck101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27815 ft
United States

[view_image]

So much bad information gets disseminated. Mostly because people do not provide all of the pertinent information to support their information. As in this case: The device and GO 4 version are not provided.

I my case it is iOS 12.1.2 and GO 4.2.24 and it does not provide different self discharge settings. I have not updated my GO 4 app because my version works fine and DJI has failed to provide accurate change information. Nothing I have found would improve my functionality.

Far be it for DJI or the Admins here to offer much better information. Everyone must pretty much investigate their own equipment and versions. DJI damn sure won't provide much help.
2019-1-27
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

[view_image]

Newer (newest) Go4?
On 4.1.xx or 4.2.xx there was for Spark, NO discharge time change possible.
However, Phantom Pilots can  change their discharging times for quiet some time, I think.
2019-1-27
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 1-27 07:09
Newer (newest) Go4?
On 4.1.xx or 4.2.xx there was for Spark, NO discharge time change possible.
However, Phantom Pilots can  change their discharging times for quiet some time, I think.

Correct. 10 days only for spark , and multiple  choices for phantoms.
2019-1-27
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

62+ Posted at 1-27 04:32
Sorry if I'm wrong.
I do not have that function on my setup.
Using Android J5 and 4.2.12

You are not wrong. I am the one who should apologise.
Unfortunately I took that screen shot after a fresh installation of DJI Go 4 (Android  - DJI Go 4 V4.3.11) & before connecting to Spark.  The option to change the discharge time was available.
After I connected DJI Go 4 to Spark & the RC, the option to change the discharge time disappeared.
I also tested this on a fresh installation of DJI Go 4 V 4.2.6 & the same thing occurred.

I 'forgot' that the settings/options change once connected to Spark for the 'first time' after a fresh installation of the app.  Until connected for the 'first' time, DJI Go 4 also shows the options for other DJI drones within the settings.  Feature or bug. I don't know.

To explain my error, within  DJI Go 4,  I can only turn off the video cache after a fresh installation of the app & before connecting to Spark. If I turn on video cache before connecting (for the first time) it records. If I turn off the video cache....  it stops.  Once connected, the option to change the video cache disappears (similar to the battery discharge time option disappearing). From this experience, I 'learnt' that some options may be one-time-programmable. Now I'm confused as the DJI Go 4 settings are not consistent & vary once Spark is initially connected.

The DJI Go 4 app mislead me, however it is my error for commenting without fully checking the features/bugs within the app. Either way, DJI Go 4 could be more specific within the settings once Spark is selected as the 'Device'.

I apologise.
2019-1-27
Use props
62+
Second Officer
South Africa

r

Sparkz71 Posted at 1-27 18:07
You are not wrong. I am the one who should apologise.
Unfortunately I took that screen shot after a fresh installation of DJI Go 4 (Android  - DJI Go 4 V4.3.11) & before connecting to Spark.  The option to change the discharge time was available.
After I connected DJI Go 4 to Spark & the RC, the option to change the discharge time disappeared.

Hallo Sparkz71
Thank you for your comments.
No apologies needed my friend !
I however accept your apology with no reservation.
The Spark and its App can be quite a "technical" drone but a lot of fun!
The adrenaline rush is always present, even levels more if one have a close shave.
We have no care fresh in South Africa. Should I  crash it due to my error I will replace it in a heartbeat.

Have mine since May 2018 and still learning new tricks and capabilities during flights in different environments and weather condition.
Just love the Spark.
Fly safe my friend and trust that you just get enjoyment flying it.

2019-1-28
Use props
NRRTRAINS 85
lvl.4

United States

msinger Posted at 1-25 11:57
Since the Spark batteries auto discharge (and slowly lose charge over time), it's important to maintain them properly to keep them in good shape. Check out this guide for more details:

HOW TO: Maintain and store your DJI Spark batteries

just to play it safe , i put my Spark ( or any DJI smart batteries)  in a LI PO bag then put them in a ammo can but make sure to drill holes in the ammo can ( i drill the holes in the circle under the claps  ) , you have to vent the ammo can just in case the  LI PO's do short out and you have a LI PO fire . the ammo can is made of steel and if not vented you have a bomb that will blow up and shrapnel will fly .now i have never seen this happen but i would rather  be safe than sorry . never leave a charging battery unattended .
fly safe
2019-1-28
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

62+ Posted at 1-28 13:04
Hallo Sparkz71
Thank you for your comments.
No apologies needed my friend !

Hi 62+
Thank you for understanding. I purchased Spark on 2 February 2018. It's been great fun, until the DJI Go 4 app updated to 4.3.x  .... bad video connection & once it flew like a yo-yo. Up & down between 15-30ft height with the (default) left stick help up. After reverting to V 4.2.6 & everything is 100%.
A small airfield nearby often prevents me from flying Spark when 'local' planes are active, especially when the weather is perfect for flying a drone & on weekends.  

Back to the topic - sparkpilots.com has a similar question about batteries.  One response was to press the power button on the battery (not turn on?) to reset the timer. I don't know if this works. Maybe putting the battery in Spark & turning it on for a few seconds will reset the timer? But that may not a convenient option.  

Happy & safe flying.
2019-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules