1631 18 2015-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
serge.sozonoff
lvl.2
Flight distance : 545043 ft
Switzerland

Hi Guys,
Decided to run through 3 batteries in higher winds and see how the I1 performed. This is completey hands free flying so the I1 is correcting itself and holding position itself. Sadly I dont know what the wind gusts represented in terms of wind speed but it was enough that I am not sure I would actually go and fly.I decided to take the wind side on since more surface area of the I1 was exposed :-)

Bottom left image represents the image from the I1 camera and the other image was filmed using my iPhone. Please excuse the fact that those to video streams are not synchronised but they are at the same time.

Happy flying,
Serge

2015-6-5
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

Nice video.  Wow, the Inspire did really well there.  There were a few times when it had to roll really hard into the wind to keep position.  I am not sure I would have flown in gusts like that.  You are a braver man than me

Jason
2015-6-5
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

What was the wind speed at ground level before take-off.

If your not checking this before your flights you should start not only for your own records but so that you can demonstrate you are flying within safe parameters.
2015-6-5
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

Wow, nice test!
2015-6-5
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

I was definitely interested in this video...Thanks for posting it....You should invest in a portable weather station that will give you the wind speed and direction  at the ground.  If i were to hazard a guess using the trees and your bird as a gauge I would say 20km winds gusting to 30km+...Gutsy move flying so close to the trees. Got to watch out for those tree magnets...That is definitely a day that i would not have been flying.
2015-6-5
Use props
serge.sozonoff
lvl.2
Switzerland

Hi and thanks for your comments.

Let me re-iterate that I did not actually "fly around" but simply hovered for ~30 min (3 batteries) to see how the I1 behaves in wind on its own.
I hovered both "side to wind" and head on.

Regarding the trees, given the choice I had at that time should something go wrong, I preferred to have my I1 in one of those trees than half way across the sea gone forever. I did have my hands on the sticks for the first few minutes ready to take over but then gained confidence to let the I1 manage itself which it did very well!

I am bummed to not have a wind reading to share with you but I had not such device available to me.

Kind regards,
Serge
2015-6-5
Use props
tapboxer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 824672 ft
United States

Great video, thanks for sharing..

I use an app on my phone to see what the wind is doing.. its close enough, seems to be correct. tell you gust speed too.  https://play.google.com/store/ap ... windSpeed&hl=en
On my Ipad mini (inspires ipad) i use this one... https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ ... er/id992303145?mt=8

both are free

Have fun, be safe!
2015-6-5
Use props
Citation
lvl.3
Flight distance : 134908 ft
United States

tapboxer@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-6 00:17
Great video, thanks for sharing..

I use an app on my phone to see what the wind is doing.. its clos ...

Buy the VAAVUD, you won't regret it.
2015-6-5
Use props
tapboxer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 824672 ft
United States

Citation Posted at 2015-6-6 00:26

it does look pretty cool...
2015-6-5
Use props
serge.sozonoff
lvl.2
Switzerland

Citation Posted at 2015-6-6 00:26

Hi,

I have the VAAVUD, but did not have it with me :-(
VAAVUD is now in the I1 case as an official accessory!!

Thanks,
Serge
2015-6-5
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

If this was made in open terrain (no trees and such) ... it would be interesting to switch to atti and see how fast it drifts away ...
2015-6-5
Use props
f1
lvl.2

United States

I don't think the Inspire knows the difference between holding station in 30Kts of wind and flying horizontally at 30Kts.

The app reads out ground speed so.... fly down wind note indicated speed and stick position, fly up wind note speed at same stick position.  Subtract first speed from second speed = wind speed
2015-6-5
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

Did you record the landing?
2015-6-6
Use props
serge.the.flyer
lvl.2
Switzerland

flydronefly Posted at 2015-6-6 22:32
Did you record the landing?

No I didn't but honestly nothing special.
2015-6-6
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

I haven't flown in strong winds but am curious how it handles the landing - good I assume?
2015-6-6
Use props
Citation
lvl.3
Flight distance : 134908 ft
United States

flydronefly Posted at 2015-6-7 01:29
I haven't flown in strong winds but am curious how it handles the landing - good I assume?

I take my Vaavud with me on every flight. It records active wind speeds world wide. plus I keep the information on file along with the barometer, temps, etc. As a private pilot for years everyone should retain this info.
2015-6-6
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

flydronefly Posted at 2015-6-7 01:29

I flew in pretty strong winds a couple of times ...
The landing didn´t strike me as a problem.

How ever I have "a few" hours behind the sticks and always land manually.
2015-6-6
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Great video, thanks!

Yeah, I've flown in very strong winds and by the time the Inspire gets low enough to land it is not as effected by the wind and landing is pretty boring and normal.  
2015-6-6
Use props
FoxSTI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11286 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wonder how a P3 and and S900 would have done in the same situation.
Times like this is when I think I am glad I bought the inspire.
2015-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules