One way to implement a must-have manual focus
4669 9 2019-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chris1a
lvl.3
Flight distance : 801 ft
Sweden

So I think I've had it with the Osmo Pocket for the time being. It just can't focus properly using the 'tap to focus' system that we have in our phones (which works great on the iPhone by the way, and I'm on a iPhone 6S). AFC/AFS has nothing to with it, all the constant massive amounts of focus pumping is a separate issue. Taking pictures with the Osmo Pocket in semi-low indoor lightning, or outdoor for that matter, is an exercise in futility. Typically likewise with filming. The hardware, the actual camera is perfectly capable of focusing, but the software is not. And since there's no hardware to manually adjust the focus on OP, the software is in full control. And the software is dreadful in its current state, you'd might as well remove the point-to-focus and it wouldn't make it worse.

A manual focus is desperately needed on this device, fully manual, no tapping on a screen. I'll hopefully be able to attach two pics I just took with the phone. On the left side you'll see little orange arrow/slider, that slider gives me full control over the focus range. Add that slider to mimo. Add it to the actual OP, use a second option for the tilt on the right side of the screen perhaps? And why not as a secondary function/option for the wheel accessory as well (shouldn't be a requirement mind you, perhaps more like a bonus since you only can pan to the right). Another thing you'll notice on the pics is a shimmery light blue boarder that shows you what's currently in focus. First pic the focus is quite close, the 2nd pic it's a bit further away. I do apologize for the ghetto examples, I'm reading the forum before getting some shut eye, been fighting the focus earlier today and almost snapped, so I snapped 2 quick pics with the phone right now instead. Enjoy my nightstand:-).

(No I'm not a professional photographer, I only know some basics, hence why this shouldn't be a PITA, and noob/pro mode on the OP is irrelevant.) :-)

Close focus

Close focus

Far focus

Far focus
2019-1-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, I appreciate your time bringing this feedback and suggestion with our Osmo Pocket. No worries, your suggestion will be forwarded to our R&D department for a future update. If you have other concern, please feel free to contact us. We are here to help. Thanks for your understanding.
2019-1-25
Use props
Chris1a
lvl.3
Flight distance : 801 ft
Sweden

Thank you.
2019-1-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

You're most welcome.
2019-1-25
Use props
CasualDronePilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 146135 ft
Sweden

Good suggestion! Manual focus would be very useful indeed, and the way you describe it is how it's done in lots of DSLR's and camcorders as well. Shouldn't be much of a problem to implement on the OP I think.
2019-1-27
Use props
jordier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58760 ft
Spain

I agree. I have ended up using the infinite focus permanently in the OSMO + and now that I am testing the Osmo Pocket I can affirm that if you go with caution and calmly the Focus is very good, but you are always with the doubt and worried when you use it with urgency and not You have the phone to make sure it is in focus. I would like to add to the AFC and AFS of the OP manual focus control with indication of meters as reference on the screen and infinite fixed focus ... it would be ideal.
2019-1-27
Use props
Rahul K
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67884 ft
Canada

manual focus on the OP would be great
2020-4-21
Use props
No Original Thought
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

+1 for manual focus and
+1 for thumb wheel control of that manual focus
2020-4-22
Use props
Adrian Rios Pro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 588914 ft
  • >>>
Colombia

si es muy frustrante, ver que el Osmo Pocket no es capaz de enfocar objetos cercanos, y menos mantenerlos enfocados cuando se mueve, ojala pudieran implementar el enfoque manual
2020-5-26
Use props
fans45d71051
lvl.1
Portugal

I have tried my Osmo pocket for the first time underwater recently, and the auto focus is an absolute disaster in low light conditions, ruining 90% of my footage, specially when you cannot tap the screen or adjust settings.
So an infinity , or preset focus would really be a must.  
2020-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules