Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Smart Controller issues already?
123Next >
12078 89 2019-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans76b622a7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 121112 ft
United States

Hopefully yours does not have the DJI knowledge quiz failure.  Just google it you will see what I am talking about.  A lot of smart controller owners have grounded their mavics, including me.  dJI has no solution, I would not buy one now until DJI fixes the problem.  Buyer beware!.  I wish someone would have warned me before I spent $1900.00
2019-2-26
Use props
fans76b622a7
lvl.4
United States

Hopefully yours does not have the DJI knowledge quiz failure.  Just google it you will see what I am talking about.  A lot of smart controller owners have grounded their mavics, including me.  dJI has no solution, I would not buy one now until DJI fixes the problem.  Buyer beware!.  I wish someone would have warned me before I spent $1900.00
2019-2-26
Use props
fans76b622a7
lvl.4
United States

Hopefully your controller will not have the DJi knowledge quiz problem.  Please google this.

The quiz fails and you receive an error message.  The controller screen goes white and the only way to clear is power cycle the controller.  Most of us have grounded our mavics for fear of the controller hanging up mid flight.  

I would not buy one until DJI fixes the problem.  BUYER beware!
2019-2-26
Use props
fans76b622a7
lvl.4
United States

Beware of the DJI knowledge problem plaguing a lot of us.  When you try to take the quiz you receive an error message then the screen turns white.  The controller is hung until you power cycler.  Just google this and you will see what I am talking about.
2019-2-26
Use props
fans76b622a7
lvl.4
United States

fans76b622a7 Posted at 2-26 17:17
Beware of the DJI knowledge problem plaguing a lot of us.  When you try to take the quiz you receive an error message then the screen turns white.  The controller is hung until you power cycler.  Just google this and you will see what I am talking about.

Sorry for repeating the posts, kept receiving an error when trying to reply.
2019-2-26
Use props
fans76b622a7
lvl.4
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-26 07:41
Hello and good day. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this information. I hope you'll get the best recommendation here from our valued DJI Members and Customers on there experiences on the DJI Smart Controller. If you have any inquiries or concerns with the said device. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help you. Thank you for choosing DJI.

JUST GOOGLE THE DJI KNOWLEDGE QUIZ PROBLEM  with the SC. BUYER BEWARE!
2019-2-26
Use props
Unicks
lvl.1

Canada

I have to say that this is the only thing that I have not seen on the RM500 Smart Controller.. Never had any sort of Quiz, nothing!
Now this may be because I've never actually flown my M2ED with it, possibly something with the DJI GO4 app? I loaded the
DJI Pilot app claiming to be for the Enterprise air-frames, never touched the GO4 app.. this could be why.

I have RE Goggles as well, my dream was to connect the goggles and Smart Controller to the M2ED. I think the only
way that is going to happen, is if I can get a SDK for both the Smart Controller and the M2ED and help myself! That way, like back in the
Mavic pro days, something got done to rectify a problem that DJI refused to tackle. Either because they just don't have the brain power
that's needed to efficiently roll out these products as promised, or they're badly managed.. probably a bit of both!

Back in the day of Franky Wang.. most of the R&D was being done by the PUBLIC FORUMS, not some Chinese think tank in Frankie's
apartment. Yeah, some of us were around back then! As with anything hot, there were a few dudes who really knew their stuff and
managed to start building a reliable IMU platform. Then DJI had their NAZA, and sold parts or ready made quads. They've come a ways since
the Colin Guinn days. -I personally think he made DJI what it wants to be today.. they just stumble along, big outrageous product shows..
but never quite hitting the mark. I refuse to beta-test their gear and come back to their forums and report my findings.. it's lazy engineering
and last time I checked, I paid full price for my DJI toys.

I really hope that DJI's musings with the industrial markets rewards them with a little consumer push-back.. It's soon to happen, because
after paying several thousand on a tool and it doesn't function as marketed/advertised, that is hard to swallow in industries other than film.
The pretentious filming/production industry are used to esoteric equipment, delays, etc.. if they need it, and if it's the best ARRI has to offer,
they will wait for it... but DJI is not ARRI. Not even close! [could you imagine if DJI were a German company as ARRI]

U
2019-2-26
Use props
ff22
Captain
Canada

fans76b622a7 Posted at 2-26 17:19
Sorry for repeating the posts, kept receiving an error when trying to reply.

Eh, the warning about the darn quiz bears repeating anyway - UNFORTUNATELY!

I am quite disappointed to keep reading that folks are still running into this.  It certainly is a successful safety feature since the drone can't be flown and remains safely on the ground.  

They need to drop the quiz until it actually can be completed.
2019-2-27
Use props
Drowzall
lvl.1
United States

Just received the smart controller, charged it before starting it up, it downloaded the DJI update but does not install it. Just sits there with the "paper airplane" going around in circles as it says 0% updated......this has gone on for 5 hours so far....yes, its plugged in and connected to the internet. I gave up and then connected it to my Mavic2 zoom which went well. I put the controller on charge as I wanted to fly for the first time the next day. Controller was fully charged so I unplugged it before going to bed. I did not turn it on, just left it. In the morning it had no charge!!!! What the hell, thought I did something wrong and charged it again.....same thing happened. This controller is draining the battery or it can't hold a charge. I just spent $650 for a paperweight!!!!!!! The DJI smart controller is the Boeing of the drone world.....looks great but you never want to fly it! I don't trust this thing and won't fly with it. Now I have to begin dealing with the DJI support. I am leaving in one month on a three month trip which I am using this drone. If I have to send this thing back to DJI, have them fix/replace it, have them send it back I will have no time. The Mavic 2 is an amazing drone....beware of this new smart controller, very very dissapointed and annoyed at $650 for a drone controller with such poor quality
2019-3-13
Use props
DH_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

Drowzall Posted at 3-13 04:10
Just received the smart controller, charged it before starting it up, it downloaded the DJI update but does not install it. Just sits there with the "paper airplane" going around in circles as it says 0% updated......this has gone on for 5 hours so far....yes, its plugged in and connected to the internet. I gave up and then connected it to my Mavic2 zoom which went well. I put the controller on charge as I wanted to fly for the first time the next day. Controller was fully charged so I unplugged it before going to bed. I did not turn it on, just left it. In the morning it had no charge!!!! What the hell, thought I did something wrong and charged it again.....same thing happened. This controller is draining the battery or it can't hold a charge. I just spent $650 for a paperweight!!!!!!! The DJI smart controller is the Boeing of the drone world.....looks great but you never want to fly it! I don't trust this thing and won't fly with it. Now I have to begin dealing with the DJI support. I am leaving in one month on a three month trip which I am using this drone. If I have to send this thing back to DJI, have them fix/replace it, have them send it back I will have no time. The Mavic 2 is an amazing drone....beware of this new smart controller, very very dissapointed and annoyed at $650 for a drone controller with such poor quality

I have already second smart controller and from brand new state done this to both:

1. charge fully with original included DJI charger
2. powered on configured and activated
3. connected to PC via USB C cable and updated it via DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic 2 version 2.0.6 without any sd card in

Both are working fine. I suggest you to hold power button for over 10 seconds to recycle power on the controller then fully charge and update via PC.
2019-3-13
Use props
Majorl
lvl.1
United States

I just received mine today the screen is not bright spoke with DJI and they said to update, I did, still no wow factor on the brightness.  I increased to 100% disappointed on this
2019-3-13
Use props
Nigelpugh7
Captain
Flight distance : 4846939 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We purchased the Mavic 2 Pro Bundle wirh the smart controller, which in hindsight was a mistake, allow me to explain.

We fly commercially here in the UK, and fly a whole range of DJi drones including the Inspire 2 and Matrice Range as well.

We purchased the combo u it as we wanted a Mavic 2 Pro for jobs when the larger drones were overkill.
2019-3-16
Use props
Nigelpugh7
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry that post got submitted before I finished it.
2019-3-16
Use props
Nigelpugh7
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blimey this must be a glitch wirh my iPad,,I can’t press return without it submitting the post!
2019-3-16
Use props
Nigelpugh7
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Damn it, don’t it again, please excuse the long sentnces, trying to get it posted without pressing return. So we had our pro 2 and smart controller for a month and loved it. Never had any issues updating Rhe. Remote, which we always did from the remote on its own connected to WiFi’s. So never needed to use a pc. Then whilst flying on a commercial job two weeks ago, we got a. Edge earring thstbwe were in a restricted flight zone. Never an issue for us normally we just press the button to acknowledge the risks and carry on with the job. But this time we got an error message on the screen which looked like a memory stack Overflow warning. We completed the inspection and landed the aircraft no problem. We then moved to another location to take off, but the screen would not start up.
2019-3-16
Use props
Nigelpugh7
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry second part of reply. We tried everything to make the controller restart, but it remained stuck at the dji logo flash start. We then tried a reset, which did nothing and then the same again wirh the me worry card removed. Again it was stuck at the start screen . Finally we connected the smart controller to a pc and used dji assistant v2 to try an updste, which kept falling at 99%.
2019-3-16
Use props
Nigelpugh7
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We then got in touch with dji support, who walked us through a bunch of tests and at the end of all that they agreed it was an error that meant the smart controller was unresponsive and neeed to be sent back to dji for repair or replacement.
2019-3-16
Use props
Nigelpugh7
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You will,see our thread on here about the issues. Sadly as it was a bundle it means the whole package of drone and controller had to be returned which it was, sent back to jessops in the jk as the suppliyung dealer..
2019-3-16
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

Nigelpugh7 Posted at 3-16 04:13
Blimey this must be a glitch wirh my iPad,,I can’t press return without it submitting the post!

By they way, you can edit your posts if necessary.  

I don't know what software they use for the forum but when I post I briefly see a small prompt/indicator at the lower left that mentions "facebook."
2019-3-16
Use props
Nigelpugh7
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 3-16 07:13
By they way, you can edit your posts if necessary.  

I don't know what software they use for the forum but when I post I briefly see a small prompt/indicator at the lower left that mentions "facebook."

Thanks for that, I don’t see a prompt on here for Facebook when using my iPad sadly.
2019-3-16
Use props
a.sarrantonio
lvl.1
Flight distance : 62648 ft
Italy

smart controller keeps turning off during update. anyone having the same issue?
2019-3-17
Use props
fansfe7a5ef8
lvl.1
United States

The quality of the recordings off of the smart controllers sd card are not very good, the drone sd card can be viewed in 4k but not the ones off of the smart controller card.
2019-3-21
Use props
CaptainOrion
lvl.1

France

I just purchased a Mavic 2 Pro with a smart controller and I can't activate the drone. It looks like the smart controller has difficulty to connect on the internet...
2019-5-28
Use props
RogerB-U
lvl.1
Flight distance : 319177 ft
Germany

When starting drone and smart controller, after connecting the devices, no picture is shown on the smart controller, only a greyish beackground. On screen dsplay works. It usually disappears after some reboots of drone/controller,
2019-5-28
Use props
ro_flyer
Captain
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

No issues so far.
2019-5-28
Use props
M Stuart K
First Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fraggboy Posted at 1-26 11:26
How has the distance been for you?  There is a report that they can’t fly as far with the SRC.

This is strictly my findings, as others might differ. I find the smart controller lose signals much more than the regular remote.  I have tested mine in same areas that I used the regular remote.  As an FYI for non line of sight fliers; it does not have nearly the penetration of the regular remote when it comes to flying behind objects including trees.  I also find that I have to climb much higher than I had to before to regain a clear signal.  The signal loss issue can be annoying, especially when you had become used to "actually not have much issue with signal at all"!  
2019-6-1
Use props
Pierre BM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 192484 ft
Canada

I am having consistent GO4 app crashes while flying. So many crashes that I can not complete any decent flight. I had to swpitch to my old controller and iPad to be able to take a few shots.
2019-6-2
Use props
Juergen64
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1509685 ft
Germany

For me the only really big issue is the map-handling.  Whenever I do not have a good mobile data connection (in 90% of all cases - i fly mostly in in rural areas), i don't have a map.

Its means neither I  get  a "the Home Point is Recorded" System-Feedback nor i can see any map, even i preloaded a lot of simple street maps before. Mostly after about 10 .. 15 Minutes a few rough parts of the sat map will appear. Sometimes there are no fligthrecords too.

In this point, the smartcontroller is less powerfull than the simple remote with smartphone.

I am really surprised and disapointed, that pre- satellit map-caching is not working.

In fact the smart controller its often like a system without any mapview.

2019-6-3
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

Juergen64 Posted at 6-3 11:51
For me the only really big issue is the map-handling.  Whenever I do not have a good mobile data connection (in 90% of all cases - i fly mostly in in rural areas), i don't have a map.

Its means neither I  get  a "the Home Point is Recorded" System-Feedback nor i can see any map, even i preloaded a lot of simple street maps before. Mostly after about 10 .. 15 Minutes a few rough parts of the sat map will appear. Sometimes there are no fligthrecords too.

Well, as you note, you can cache maps while you have a connection to use in the field.  But you could also possibly create a wifi hotspot on your phone can connec the Smart Controller to that.
2019-6-3
Use props
DH_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
Slovakia

I think download offline maps of full country as was possible in old DJI GO4 app would be fix for all those issues.
2019-6-3
Use props
DH_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
Slovakia

Or at least rework current offline maps download option to be able select much more part of maps for download? We should be limited only by space on controller not by some small and funny dimension of rectangle you are selecting for download.
2019-6-3
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

DH_Pilot Posted at 6-3 20:23
Or at least rework current offline maps download option to be able select much more part of maps for download? We should be limited only by space on controller not by some small and funny dimension of rectangle you are selecting for download.

Yes, the limitation should definitely be removed or upped.
2019-6-3
Use props
Juergen64
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1509685 ft
Germany

ff22 Posted at 6-3 15:52
Well, as you note, you can cache maps while you have a connection to use in the field.  But you could also possibly create a wifi hotspot on your phone can connec the Smart Controller to that.

>> But you could also possibly create a wifi hotspot on your phone

Yes, i try it always. But here in Germany the mobile connections outside the towns are mostly really poor, almost not useable for maps.
2019-6-10
Use props
Johnny C!
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44839 ft
United States

I am ready to buy a M2P to upgrade from my 2 Sparks. I have
waited this long since they came out to let any firmware issues
get settled out. I would really like to buy the SC combo, but that
is apparently a no go at this time. I'll buy a M2P from Best Buy
with the standard remote. They have a 15 day return policy,
no questions asked. After I get it going, I'll consider the SC,
but only after I hear that these issues are passed. At least
with the standard controller, I have less to worry about
buying an expensive paper weight, I hope.

I have looked at other mfg's drones before, but maybe I'll
look around again before buying a M2P.

It took me 7 days to get my first Spark updated to fly. I
was ready to return it, but I got the firmware working that
day. I don't think these are issues are reasonable for such
an expensive product.
2019-6-14
Use props
AerialOdyssey
United States

dp55 Posted at 2-25 12:44
Very much enjoying the ability to get up and flying with the ease and simplicity of it all. Only issue... when I try adjusting the camera settings in Manual mode
half the time there is no response to my finger on the screen. Anyone experience this and if so any solutions?

I am also having this issue!!
2019-7-12
Use props
Joey Marcelo
New

Philippines

Hi. Have anyone experience issues with the Camera/Video button on the Smart Controller. Mine is not working. When I tried using the oncreen button, its working. I tried to reset the device and link with the mavic pro 2 again, still has the same problem.
2019-8-4
Use props
gfdonc
lvl.1

Australia

Joey Marcelo Posted at 8-4 16:11
Hi. Have anyone experience issues with the Camera/Video button on the Smart Controller. Mine is not working. When I tried using the oncreen button, its working. I tried to reset the device and link with the mavic pro 2 again, still has the same problem.

I bought an M2 with Smart Controller this afternoon, brought it home and have not been able to get the SC to boot.  Unusable.
It starts to boot, the DJI splash appears then the screen goes blank.
No I have not yet put an SD card into it.
Downloaded DJI Assistant 2 but it doesn't recognise the device either.
Looking for some sort of factory reset that might get me out of this, otherwise it might be back at the store tomorrow for a full refund.
2019-8-8
Use props
akozc
Captain
Flight distance : 2019951 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 1-26 06:24
What issues are you having ?
I haven’t had any issues so far .No issues with build quality.

During my night flight few days ago with SC  ,
video caching was on and
256GB SD card was no SC and 128GB SD card on M2P ,
No sound records or screen record.
About 16 satellite locked before take off.
SC wirelessly connected to my mobile hotspot.
When the drone reached to distance about 550m (no building or trees blocking me and drone) I saw serious lagging and short freeze on the video footage transmitted.
Is the cause because caching was on?
With same setting never experienced on iPad Pro with standard controller.
good to hear your experience or advise.  
2019-10-2
Use props
dronie1965
Captain
Flight distance : 24452848 ft
  • >>>

I am not sure if the following is the problem. Before i had an sd card 128gb in the sc and had many times that sc( go app) had lag and sometimes froze, and i had to restart sometimes during flight.
I changed the sd card into an 32 gb sd card , flown many many times afterwards and never had problem anymore.
Also sometimes empty cache and close other programs on the sc helps, also turn off bluetooth. But main issue i think was the 128 gb( in your case the 256gb) just try it and let us know the outcome
2019-10-2
Use props
SzczechzCzech
Second Officer
Flight distance : 708661 ft

One other aspect I dont think anyone mentioned here is the battery. When I go out to fly M2Z, I typically would use up all 3 batteries that I have and SC battery could still last for another (or two) run like this without having to charge again + obviously the freedom if you only have 1 phone, the moment you fly and someone calls you while you pilot... Enjoy your SC.
2019-10-3
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules