Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is DJI planning on releasing update to the Mavic Air with OcuSync?
145681 145681 2019-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

We enter 2019 and DJI doesn't unveil a new drone to start the year but its Smart Remote Controller to the mix? I think this is a sign we will be seeing the OcuSync 2.0 technology embedded in its future drones. Up first I believe will be the Mavic Air refresh with OcuSync 2.0 that will be compatible with the Smart Controller.

The other day I saw Amazon selling the Mavic Air directly for $629, which I was tempted to purchase but held back only because of the belief I think we'll see an OcuSync 2.0 version incorporated into the Mavic Air, perhaps shortly? I'm thinking DJI will issue a Mavic Air OcuSync 2.0 refresh soon this year, similarly how they issued the Mavic Pro Platinum refresh 1 year after initial release?
Do you think DJI is also planning on issuing an OcuSync 2.0 refresh on the Spark? This would be quite a profitable move on DJI's part, since all they would still be doing is keeping the  manufacturing the same on these drones but instead of adding a WiFi module, simply now minaturize the OcuSync 2.0 technology in these drones? It's just a simple question of whether they can finally miniturize and fit the OcuSync transmission technology into these small drones, which I think at some point is possible to do, question again is if DJI is close to doing so, then they realize the profit and higher margin of keeping the Mavic Air as is but swapping WiFi with OcuSync? I'm curious to see a drone size of the Spark equipped with such a transmission system similar to OcuSync?

What do you think?

Single SelectVote, Total 145 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

28.97% (42)
65.52% (95)
5.52% (8)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2019-1-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day davidmartingraf. Thank you for raising this information and this poll. As of the moment we do not have any information with regards to this matter. For the latest updates and news regarding this matter. Kindly please visit our official website at www.dji.com for the latest details. Thank you.
2019-1-26
Use props
corey_mcl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16476 ft
United States

I certainly hope they do and like you I'm tempted to purchase an Air now but holding off to see if an Air 2 is coming soon.  
2019-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Mavic Air is one year old this week, what was the last drone that was updated when only a year old, you have to go back to 2016 and P4, so I don’t see MavAir 2 anytime soon, I think this question will be for late summer, MavAir 2 would make a super Christmas prezzie, to have it with Ocusync, well it would need to be bigger so maybe to close to the M2,
I think we will see P5 this year price from 2k to 2.5k , it will then mean dji will have drones @ Spark $500 , @Mavic Air $1000 , @M2 $1500 and @ P5 $2200 @Inspire $3500 .

If Mavic Air was to have Ocusync it would bring it up to price of M2Z and it’s a bit to soon for that, that’s my opinion.
2019-1-26
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032569 ft
United States

I'm not sure how they'd do that and not undercut the M2Z.  If they did come out with one (however unlikely) it would have to have so much cool whiz-bang stuff that makes it better then the M2Z to make me get it.  as was mentioned, the bird would be bigger, so MA1 accessories wouldn't be compatible, making it less of a value to current MA owners to buy.
2019-1-26
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

Vastly different transcommunicate.
The onboard hardware in ma is not ocusync capable.
What you really want for the wireless leash control means is that which bends around buildings  mountains impinging airborne jamming and even massive infrastructure steel bridges etc
2019-1-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Highly doubtful David but if you told me two years ago that DJI would put a 1" 20mp CMOS sensor in a camera made in collaboration with Hasselblad that records in 10 bit, 4K HQ HDR in H.265 and put it on a Mavic Pro that has a range of over 5 miles and fits in a 5L sling I would have simply laughed at you - nothing surprises me these days so never say never.
2019-1-26
Use props
TheVegeta1974
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

Nice Pole 
2019-1-26
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hope this is possible, however it sounds like Occusync runs on a lower frequency like some hobby transmitters or at a different power level. Would be cool but maybe theres a mavic air 2 on the way...
2019-1-26
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 1-26 19:22
I hope this is possible, however it sounds like Occusync runs on a lower frequency like some hobby transmitters or at a different power level. Would be cool but maybe theres a mavic air 2 on the way...

occusync 2.0 uses 2,4 Ghz and 5.,8ghz but is SDR based (software defined radio).  and it just vastly more efficient, can change bands and channels and frequencies on the fly, change bandwidth, split the load between frequencies and it can do this many times per second..

to achieve this range is specifically down to efficiency of how Occusync works..how it can see interference and proactively change channels and frequencies and even split bands as needed...   the output power is actually similar to FCC mode of enhanced wifi..  ~1 watt
2019-1-26
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-26 19:31
occusync 2.0 uses 2,4 Ghz and 5.,8ghz but is SDR based (software defined radio).  and it just vastly more efficient, can change bands and channels and frequencies on the fly, change bandwidth, split the load between frequencies and it can do this many times per second..

to achieve this range is specifically down to efficiency of how Occusync works..how it can see interference and proactively change channels and frequencies and even split bands as needed...   the output power is actually similar to FCC mode of enhanced wifi..  ~1 watt

Oh. Thanks for the quick reply, I honestly had no idea on how this worked. Thanks for educating me!
2019-1-26
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 1-26 11:10
Highly doubtful David but if you told me two years ago that DJI would put a 1" 20mp CMOS sensor in a camera made in collaboration with Hasselblad that records in 10 bit, 4K HQ HDR in H.265 and put it on a Mavic Pro that has a range of over 5 miles and fits in a 5L sling I would have simply laughed at you - nothing surprises me these days so never say never.

A CW - all I know is I bought my Spark last January right before DJI even announced they were making "something" known 2 weeks before Mavic Air was accounced. Everyone who purchased the Spark & Mavic Pro Platinum missed out on Mavic Air, then those who purchased Mavic Air missed out on Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom. It seems fitting the trend would suggest if I purchased the current version of Mavic Air then immediately shortly thereafter DJI likely will release some updated Mavic Air version, possibly I suspect with OcuSync? The more I mull purchasing the Mavic Air the more I started thinking and believing that we'll see a Mavic Air refresh update with OcuSync - similar as we just saw with DJI releasing the Phantom 4 Pro V 2.0 with OcuSync?...

2019-1-26
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 1-26 20:32
A CW - all I know is I bought my Spark last January right before DJI even announced they were making "something" known 2 weeks before Mavic Air was accounced. Everyone who purchased the Spark & Mavic Pro Platinum missed out on Mavic Air, then those who purchased Mavic Air missed out on Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom. It seems fitting the trend would suggest if I purchased the current version of Mavic Air then immediately shortly thereafter DJI likely will release some updated Mavic Air version, possibly I suspect with OcuSync? The more I mull purchasing the Mavic Air the more I started thinking and believing that we'll see a Mavic Air refresh update with OcuSync - similar as we just saw with DJI releasing the Phantom 4 Pro V 2.0 with OcuSync?...

I saw Amazon last week selling direct the Arctic White Mavic Air for $629, it would seem to me that this lower price by Amazon is a leading indicator of something being possibly in the works? The theory that prices are efficient makes me pause, because I'd rather pay probably $899 for Mavic Air standard option with OcuSync to paying $629 ($699 DJI sale price) for Mavic Air standard option with enhanced WiFi??...
2019-1-26
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

occusync 2.0 uses 2,4 Ghz and 5.,8ghz but is SDR based (software defined radio).  and it just vastly more efficient, can change bands and channels and frequencies on the fly, change bandwidth, split the load between frequencies and it can do this many times per second..

OcuSync 2.0 uses 2.4 and 5.8Ghz, the original OcuSync only uses 2.4GHz.
2019-1-26
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 1-26 19:40
Oh. Thanks for the quick reply, I honestly had no idea on how this worked. Thanks for educating me!

I still have hard time conceptually understanding how OcuSync 2.0 works and differs from being an enhanced Lightbridge?
2019-1-26
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 1-26 20:40
I saw Amazon last week selling direct the Arctic White Mavic Air for $629, it would seem to me that this lower price by Amazon is a leading indicator of something being possibly in the works? The theory that prices are efficient makes me pause, because I'd rather pay probably $899 for Mavic Air standard option with OcuSync to paying $629 ($699 DJI sale price) for Mavic Air standard option with enhanced WiFi??...

amazon lowered the price on Mavic 2 series as well... not sure means much other than DJI makes huge margins and can afford $100+ price cut even on newest  flagship drones without feeling it
2019-1-26
Use props
Spark in the Park
lvl.3
Flight distance : 725961 ft
Australia

Would love to see the mavic air bugs fixed, incuding the main controller data error (barometer data error) when flying in hotter areas. Also love to see the low noise props released and also some fixes for the camera issues, including colour and saturation and autonfocus issues, would also love to see the descent rate incresed and top speed. The dji go app could do with a massive overhaul and thenvoltage display on main screen fixed for ma. Also a digital zoom and jpg resolution option would be amazing. Also a sunset/sunrise setting in the camera options and a night mode would be amazing ! Other issues would be compass calibration fix and maybe the lag on rth. Battery could be an option of a 4s upgrade as the 3s one is a bit iffy as far as voltage range etc. We  really would appreciate the firmware being unlocked so we can tweak speed and descent rate etc if nothing else
2019-1-26
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

Spark in the Park Posted at 1-26 21:21
Would love to see the mavic air bugs fixed, incuding the main controller data error (barometer data error) when flying in hotter areas. Also love to see the low noise props released and also some fixes for the camera issues, including colour and saturation and autonfocus issues, would also love to see the descent rate incresed and top speed. The dji go app could do with a massive overhaul and thenvoltage display on main screen fixed for ma. Also a digital zoom and jpg resolution option would be amazing. Also a sunset/sunrise setting in the camera options and a night mode would be amazing ! Other issues would be compass calibration fix and maybe the lag on rth. Battery could be an option of a 4s upgrade as the 3s one is a bit iffy as far as voltage range etc. We  really would appreciate the firmware being unlocked so we can tweak speed and descent rate etc if nothing else

What needs overhauling is link distance around anything
Blind is dumb right?
Make it important to fix dji!
2019-1-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

davidmartingraf Posted at 1-26 20:32
A CW - all I know is I bought my Spark last January right before DJI even announced they were making "something" known 2 weeks before Mavic Air was accounced. Everyone who purchased the Spark & Mavic Pro Platinum missed out on Mavic Air, then those who purchased Mavic Air missed out on Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom. It seems fitting the trend would suggest if I purchased the current version of Mavic Air then immediately shortly thereafter DJI likely will release some updated Mavic Air version, possibly I suspect with OcuSync? The more I mull purchasing the Mavic Air the more I started thinking and believing that we'll see a Mavic Air refresh update with OcuSync - similar as we just saw with DJI releasing the Phantom 4 Pro V 2.0 with OcuSync?...

It is a difficult one to decide when to buy so you don't end up with buyers remorse given an imminent new release just after. Hard to say when or even if a Mavic 2 Air will hit the market. Given how much you love the original Mavic Pro I would stretch the budget and buy an M2 Pro or Zoom given that the chance of an M3 being released this side of 2020 is slim.

I think the reason for the price drop is that nobody is buying the Mavic Air now - it's more than a year old and the Mavic 2 models have blown it out the water. DJI are not even investing FW updates in it either despite the software issues reported en masse. The M2 Pro has dropped £50 here too from £1349 to £1299 on Amazon but that is clever marketing as it was priced at £1299 when first released 5-6 months ago.

Really do consider your options mate. Nothing worse than shelling out $629 and regretting it.
2019-1-27
Use props
kovat53
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

Thank you for clearing the nature of Occusync. As of now I know why it is more efficient. I didn't understand, if the same frequencies are used why the huge difference in distance capabilities and video transmission. For now its clear, there is an automatism  for an optimised frequency  and channel changing  for the actual circumstances. Enhanced WIFI's power is only a factor,, the clue is a kind of continuous dynamic changing.  

One question remains for me. Is this technology is developed by DJI or someone else?
2019-1-27
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

kovat53 Posted at 1-27 01:35
Thank you for clearing the nature of Occusync. As of now I know why it is more efficient. I didn't understand, if the same frequencies are used why the huge difference in distance capabilities and video transmission. For now its clear, there is an automatism  for an optimised frequency  and channel changing  for the actual circumstances. Enhanced WIFI's power is only a factor,, the clue is a kind of continuous dynamic changing.  

One question remains for me. Is this technology is developed by DJI or someone else?

occusync and the specifics of Occusync is made by DJI, but not anything new, the tech been around for many years.... dji just repurposing it and optimized it.
2019-1-27
Use props
kovat53
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324521 ft
Hungary

HereForTheBeer Posted at 1-27 02:27
occusync and the specifics of Occusync is made by DJI, but not anything new, the tech been around for many years.... dji just repurposing it and optimized it.

Thanks for your time, really appreciate it.
2019-1-27
Use props
Boffin
lvl.4
Australia

Occusync is a later development of Lightbridge.

My 5 year old DJI A2 FC uses Lightbridge, but interesting to note that the A2 FC is controlled by a Futaba R/C SG14 transmitter that uses the same technology.

Futaba named it FASST (Frequency Agile Spread Spectrum Technology ) (the  RF signal hops all over the 2.4GHz band) and they were among the original developers of this technique, maybe that's why DJI used it for their top end systems as it leaves the inferior 2 frequency R/C systems (eg; Spektrum) for dead.

Also, Occusync requires quite a powerful and fast processor at each end of the link (aircraft and R/C) and am not sure if the Mavic Air has this
2019-1-27
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Nah don't thinks so
For now the Phantom line seem to be the one that really need update
Then it the spark, as MA is only 1 year old
2019-1-27
Use props
ShermanFlyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

Interesting observations. My tupence worth. I’ve only had the MA for two months and think it’s a great piece of kit for what it does. However I have become aware very quickly of it’s shortcomings. Especially the camera. Given what we know for sure today I’m saving my pennies for an M2. Drones are no different than any other kind of tech, you get what you pay for and if you want the lastest, your bank account takes the hit
2019-1-27
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not compatible with first generation mavic air or spark....
2019-1-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 1-27 04:41
Not compatible with first generation mavic air or spark....

Yes not compatible with WiFi version of these current drones, but sooner or later it will be possible to introduce OcuSync to smaller, compact drones like the Mavic Air? I just think we'll see DJI possibly shortly release a special Mavic Air edition that has OcuSync?
2019-1-27
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 1-27 16:05
Yes not compatible with WiFi version of these current drones, but sooner or later it will be possible to introduce OcuSync to smaller, compact drones like the Mavic Air? I just think we'll see DJI possibly shortly release a special Mavic Air edition that has OcuSync?

I had originally planned on getting the mavic air, was very disappointed when I found out it had wifi. It would be great if dji released an updated version with ocusync but I Have my doubts. Would I buy the new version? No, because I’m really liking the mavic Pro 2 with the hasslehoff camera...
2019-1-28
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don’t see it happening without a significant price increase...  and it’s probably not their first priority given MA’s relatively young age.
2019-1-28
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 1-28 05:41
I don’t see it happening without a significant price increase...  and it’s probably not their first priority given MA’s relatively young age.

Yes, I think we'd see a significant price increase but it depends on the actual selling price. DJI decides to lower the selling price of the current Mavic Air back down to its brief sale price of $699, which was the price being offered during New Year sale just earlier in the month, then it would likely sell for several hundred dollars more?

If the Mavic 2 Zoom sells for $1,249 and Mavic Pro Platinum sells for $999, I honestly do not think a Mavic Air with OcuSync and folding lower noise props, for the basic version of drone with just battery, couldn't probably sell for much more than $899 - maybe $949 - tops?

If the current Mavic Air price falls back down to $699, and a Mavic Air with OcuSync and folding lower noise props sells for say $899, then I think a $200 premium seems justified, at that price it still wouldn't price itself outside the market, but yet again it shouldn't cannibalize DJI's sales of the Mavic 2 or Pro Platinum?
2019-1-28
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 1-28 22:36
Yes, I think we'd see a significant price increase but it depends on the actual selling price. DJI decides to lower the selling price of the current Mavic Air back down to its brief sale price of $699, which was the price being offered during New Year sale just earlier in the month, then it would likely sell for several hundred dollars more?

If the Mavic 2 Zoom sells for $1,249 and Mavic Pro Platinum sells for $999, I honestly do not think a Mavic Air with OcuSync and folding lower noise props, for the basic version of drone with just battery, couldn't probably sell for much more than $899 - maybe $949 - tops?

i dont think it will increase costs in fact i think occusync is fairly lost cost, but the reason haven't pushed it to mavic air/spark is down to market segmentation more than anything.  Occusync is SDR based and to anyone who knows what that means they know means off the shelf parts with custom software written to them and for them..probably only slightly more expensive than Wifi system currently used...  

chances are if they do make an occusync varient they will either reduce Wifi mavic air costs or discontinue it and let new V2 model take over.
2019-1-28
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 1-28 02:20
I had originally planned on getting the mavic air, was very disappointed when I found out it had wifi. It would be great if dji released an updated version with ocusync but I Have my doubts. Would I buy the new version? No, because I’m really liking the mavic Pro 2 with the hasslehoff camera...

I agree with you the Mavic 2 with its improved and all its recent newly updated firmware release stands as the most capable DJI drone, however I'd still say the original Mavic Pro stands as the most well-rounded DJI drone, based on its price and overall functionality.

I think once DJI no longer sells the Mavic Pro, they will issue a significant reduction to the Mavic 2, likely by several hundred dollars, lowering the price for the Mavic 2 Zoom and 2 Pro by $200, perhaps?

I think if the price of the Mavic 2 Zoom changes to $1,049 and Mavic 2 Pro to $1,299, then it would equate to a more reasonable price.

DJI at one point lowered the original Mavic Pro price to $899, which at the time included a free additional battery, so at around $799 for the basic package, we are paying additional $700 for the improvements in technology and innovation.

Usually in the market consumers historically enjoy paying very little price premiums, if at all, for updated versions of products with new improved technology. Because little competition exists with drones, DJI can charge an 88% price increase for the new Mavic 2 over original Mavic Pro. Honestly, I think a 25% price premium is still rich for the technology improvements included with Mavic 2, because usually in the past I've paid that premium over the prior generations for other similar class products. I own the original Mavic Pro and while I'm a big fan of Mavic 2, it's hard for me to justify paying that much more for the included upgrades.  
2019-1-28
Use props
o_laparoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 753340 ft
Portugal

Hi davidmartingraf,

To be honest I did think about this when the Winter Sale was one and the prices of the Spark and Mavic Air were so tempting.

Unlike you, I did not resist as I had recently sold my Spark and was awaiting for a good deal on the Mavic Air. We all know Wi-Fi is not the best connection, but I've got to say up until know I've flown my Mavic Air a bit farther than the Spark and have had no interference what so ever.

I thought I took a good opportunity once the Smart Controller was announced. Like you, I believe DJI is going to launch it's version of the 'platinum' Mavic Air soon but instead of OcuSync probably better propellers and rotors. I sincerely doubt DJI will be investing in installing OcuSync in anything smaller than a Mavic Pro this year.
2019-1-29
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

o_laparoto Posted at 1-29 00:14
Hi davidmartingraf,

To be honest I did think about this when the Winter Sale was one and the prices of the Spark and Mavic Air were so tempting.

i agree that DJi isnt likely to release Mavic Air 1st generation with Occusync even if it is cost wise, viable.  they more likely to be launching the mavic air in a platinum model with new lower noise more efficient  Props maybe IR based side sensors or 4S battery as mavic air i think needs 4S not the 3S its rocking.
2019-1-29
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2019-1-29
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

El Diablo Posted at 1-29 05:12
I believe we will see a Spark II with the Osmo Pocket camera before a new Mavic Air...

I would tend to agree with you, my first impression after seeing the Osmo Pocket released was that the camera and form factor reminded me of the Spark, and I'm guessing 2019 will be the "Refresh Year" seeing a re-release of the Mavic Air OcuSync v2 and a Spark Pro incorporating the almost the same physical camera of the Osmo Pocket.
2019-1-29
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

El Diablo Posted at 1-29 05:12
I believe we will see a Spark II with the Osmo Pocket camera before a new Mavic Air...

spark 2.0 is possible.. but hard to say, spark is definitely more due for something to happen and i can definitely see better camera and gimbal arrangement being needed, and updated OA system given target audience.

2019-1-29
Use props
o_laparoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 753340 ft
Portugal

I'm very curious to know what is coming
2019-1-29
Use props
GhostWolf010
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
Germany

Even if it is not coming, would it be difficult for them to implement the Wi-Fi into the src? For what I found out the remote should be capable of it. And they should be able to set the controller to ocusync 1 for the mavic pro also right? If os2 is using more, then the controller should also be able to use "less" for os1. Or is it possible to update the mp to os2? Or is it different hardware aswell?
2019-1-31
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GhostWolf010 Posted at 1-31 13:29
Even if it is not coming, would it be difficult for them to implement the Wi-Fi into the src? For what I found out the remote should be capable of it. And they should be able to set the controller to ocusync 1 for the mavic pro also right? If os2 is using more, then the controller should also be able to use "less" for os1. Or is it possible to update the mp to os2? Or is it different hardware aswell?

That's a good question my friend, I think Mavic Pro will eventually grandfather to the Smart Controller on OcuSync 1.0, but never know DJI might figure out how to rustle up some OcuSync 2.0 firmware update and then Mavic Pro can fly longer stronger connection than it does now, which is good, real good.

I think there's something about the Mavic 2 that scares me, maybe it's the larger size or heavier weight or expensive price for a prosumer drone without 4K 60fps????..
2019-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules