Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
First flight with P4 advanced, jello effect in video.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cameracollector
lvl.4
Flight distance : 807133 ft
Canada

I just activated my brand new P4A last night, did all calibrations etc. and then did a maiden flight around my yard today.  I calibrated the gimbal as well, and todays flight was in good windless conditions with temps about 5C.
When watching my video to see how much better it is than my P4, I noticed that in one clip where I was trying the narrow focus to fly through an archway, while the aircraft was hovering in one place there was a noticeable "jello" effect in the video, the same kind I would sometimes get when flying gopros without adequate damping on my earlier flamewheel DJI's, very slight, but still there nonetheless. I was shooting at 3840X216o 60FPS

I've put the raw clip in a dropbox folder, I have never noticed this happening with my Phantom 4 while hovering.

Has anyone else experienced this?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/koi2k ... 6k8Fxlw6dNsJ_a?dl=0

2019-1-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, we're very sorry to hear about the unpleasant experience that you had with your Phantom 4 Advanced. Actually, the issue may occur when there is debris on the gimbal damping unit. I suggest you hold the yaw axis motor with one hand, As shown in the figure on the left, and turn the damping unit forward, downward, left and right. If the issue persists, please let us know. Thank you.

Screenshot_4.png
2019-1-26
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 1-26 14:16
Hi, we're very sorry to hear about the unpleasant experience that you had with your Phantom 4 Advanced. Actually, the issue may occur when there is debris on the gimbal damping unit. I suggest you hold the yaw axis motor with one hand, As shown in the figure on the left, and turn the damping unit forward, downward, left and right. If the issue persists, please let us know. Thank you.

Thanks DJI Natalia - I will try that tomorrow.  I just purchased this Phantom 4 advanced with optional DJI Care because I need reliable and high quality footage, I hope that this resolves the issue.
2019-1-26
Use props
CHASCOADMIN
lvl.4
United States

I’m assuming you checked the balance of the props. The P4A is a little older now so who knows how long it’s been on a shelf. Hopefully it’s not a bad yaw motor.
2019-1-26
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

CHASCOADMIN Posted at 1-26 19:48
I’m assuming you checked the balance of the props. The P4A is a little older now so who knows how long it’s been on a shelf. Hopefully it’s not a bad yaw motor.

I have plenty of new props to try on it, already owning a P4. Also have a magnetic prop balancer but not sure if I can use it on these props or not.

Will try another set on it tomorrow, as well as DJI Natalia's suggestion.

I went with the P4A for the improved camera, and am more than a little disappointed that I'm getting inferior video compared to my P4.

update: I just powered the P4A on sitting on my table, after doing Natalia's suggestion. When I hold a finger up to the yaw gimbal motor with very slight pressure I could feel a slight vibration, so I powered it off and re did Natailia's suggestion. This time when I power it back on the vibration wasn't there for a while, then when I would wait a bit and put my finger against it the vibration was back. Sometimes it was not there at all, and sometimes it was back. If I applied pressure slightly against it sometimes that would make the vibration go away and sometimes make it come back.

So I powered up my P4 and set it on the same surface, at no time at all could I feel any vibration in the yaw motor. Applying pressure slightly on the motor  in any direction made no difference at all.

I am not sure if this is normal with the P4A and P4P camera gimbal or not, so tomorrow when I try another flight I will see if the jello effect is still there.

Curious if anyone else with a P4A or P4P feels a slight vibration in the yaw motor.

2019-1-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

cameracollector Posted at 1-26 21:01
I have plenty of new props to try on it, already owning a P4. Also have a magnetic prop balancer but not sure if I can use it on these props or not.

Will try another set on it tomorrow, as well as DJI Natalia's suggestion.

Hi, thanks for keeping us updated. Please let us know if the issue persists, for further help. Thank you.
2019-1-27
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 1-27 08:38
Hi, thanks for keeping us updated. Please let us know if the issue persists, for further help. Thank you.

I will try it again today if the wind dies down later.  I also notice that when I was calibrating the vision sensors, the gimbal was squealing when doing the bottom sensors - is this normal?  I do not recall it doing that on my P4.
2019-1-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

cameracollector Posted at 1-27 09:41
I will try it again today if the wind dies down later.  I also notice that when I was calibrating the vision sensors, the gimbal was squealing when doing the bottom sensors - is this normal?  I do not recall it doing that on my P4.

Would it be possible if you can upload a sample video? So we can check this on our end.
2019-1-27
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 1-27 10:38
Would it be possible if you can upload a sample video? So we can check this on our end.

There is a sample DJI file taken right from my sd card in the link in my opening post in this thread.

I will add another to the shared folder if you want.
2019-1-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

cameracollector Posted at 1-27 12:12
There is a sample DJI file taken right from my sd card in the link in my opening post in this thread.

I will add another to the shared folder if you want.

Yes, that would be great. Thank you for your cooperation.
2019-1-27
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Canada

I'm sorry to say that the jello effect I was seeing has not gone away. At first I thought that it had, I switched propellers with another set that I had and did a little flying and it seemed to go away. Then I had a long stretch of no flying because of the extreme cold weather we had for the last couple of months, and this past weekend when it warmed up I went out and did some more flying. While reviewing the clips I notice that the jello effect is still very noticeable in some of the clips, and the effect seems to be worse in the clips where I was hovering in one spot, whether staying still or moving up or down. The clips where I am moving laterally do not seem to be as bad, in fact the forward, backwards or sideways movement seems to cancel out most, if not all of the jello effect. In fact you will notice that in the first short clip I uploaded (DJI_0010.mov), forward movement seems to cancel most of the jello effect.

I am uploading the latest clip DJI_0231.mov to this shared dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/koi2kd9sv3t2mro/AAAiQzqbQmc6k8Fxlw6dNsJ_a?dl=0

The file is unedited and taken directly from the SD card.
I tried DJI Natalias suggestion moving the yaw motor gently in each direction, but as you see the issue still persists. I will redo all the calibrations again later today and try another flightm but it seems like this issue is not going away. This last incident is very dissapointing as I was doing some specific stock footage clips, and what would have been one of my best clips is unusable because of the jello.

I am wondering what my next steps should be, after spending all this money on the new P4 advanced so I would have the better camera I am unable to depend on it. I have only had this aircraft for a couple of months now.

Thanks in advance.

ps. looking at my earlier replies in this post, I notice I posted about how I can feel the vibration in the yaw motor, whereas with my P4 I cannot feel it at all. I am thinking this has something to do with the issue at hand.
2019-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules