4782 59 2019-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Well done DJI, a positive and welcomed announcement.
2019-1-29
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

kburn Posted at 1-29 04:59
I don't see an infinity lock option... only AFS or AFC. So I guess we are stuck with relying on DJI focusing? Which in some cases still pumps... or with changes in focus during motionlapse at night?
I'm glad about the updates... but the one thing I was looking for was the infinity lock for video, photos and timelapse....

With a wide aperture lens, it would be more useful to calculate the hyperfocal distance and use AFS than to use an infinity focus option. It's an alternative worth trying.
2019-1-29
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

How about just an infinity mode and we skip the alternatives.
2019-1-29
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-29 16:36
With a wide aperture lens, it would be more useful to calculate the hyperfocal distance and use AFS than to use an infinity focus option. It's an alternative worth trying.

That works in theory, but when trying to do a night timelapse of the stars, there is nothing to focus on to get that lock, so infinity would give the ideal focus in that instance. That is unless you have something in the near foreground which you can light up and get the focus but that's not always possible.
The real ideal solution is some kind of Manual Focus where you can set the focal disatance and one of the options would be infinity ;)
2019-1-30
Use props
Mauros Films
First Officer
Flight distance : 2883140 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

Thanks for sharing my video =)
2019-1-30
Use props
maddox
First Officer
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing!
2019-1-30
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing!
2019-1-30
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Chris1a Posted at 1-29 13:53
...Load hallmark.bond program

Careful... your critique provides more heat than light.  :-)  Ask questions.  Contribute answers and speculation.  It's a forum, not the Trump twitter account :-)
2019-1-30
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Glad to see, things are finally settling. Not sure why it could not be like this from the beginning. Oh wait, Xmas season but software boys were late.
2019-1-30
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

hallmark007 Posted at 1-29 12:06
I mean your looking for infinity focus and that’s fine, but it looks like it won’t be in next firmware, I owned a gh5 for almost 2 years it operated AF with contrast focus and many complained about this but in two years with FW updates nothing changed, but what one had to do was learn how to work with it, I have been using OP for just over a month and focus pumping is very slight and 90% of the time you will never notice it, I don’t think infinity focus will come and if this was the most important thing to you then maybe you should have researched a bit more, they have infinity focus on Mavic Pro but it is not all it’s cracked up to be and if dji introduces this to OP I for one will be disappointed .

GH5 was released in the beginning of Jan 2017, while OP was released at the end of 2018. So, 2 years apart. From that perspective, one would expect OP to at least have PDAF and not contrast based one. Virtually all near-300$ smartphones have it and most of them are released before OP so it's totally beyond me why DJI decided to go with so inferior tech for the thing priced over those phones.
2019-1-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 1-30 09:14
GH5 was released in the beginning of Jan 2017, while OP was released at the end of 2018. So, 2 years apart. From that perspective, one would expect OP to at least have PDAF and not contrast based one. Virtually all near-300$ smartphones have it and most of them are released before OP so it's totally beyond me why DJI decided to go with so inferior tech for the thing priced over those phones.

They are still making new cameras with this focus, it’s not impossible to get this working correctly, I have very minimal problem with this, and I now know where it might occur, but 90% of the time it doesn’t happen, in this new FW update dji have again improved the problem, so I don’t thing it should be much of a problem, I don’t know how it is for you but mine is pretty good and mostly free of this focus pumping.
2019-1-30
Use props
CubbyJonson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just a word about the polarpro minimalist case mentioned earlier in this thread DON'T BUY IT I had one for about 2 hours today from Amazon & sent it back for refund.
I didn't like the way the osmo fitted in & the camera head could rattle around plus there is no room for any filters unless you have them loose in the pouch inside...any kind of filter box forget it has room for sd cards & a cleaning cloth at best & it doesn't come with a strap of any kind it's just a case...in my opinion not worth the money.
2019-1-30
Use props
Teksin
lvl.1

Switzerland

I just received the update. There is cinelike too
2019-1-30
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Cameleon Posted at 1-30 02:44
That works in theory, but when trying to do a night timelapse of the stars, there is nothing to focus on to get that lock, so infinity would give the ideal focus in that instance. That is unless you have something in the near foreground which you can light up and get the focus but that's not always possible.
The real ideal solution is some kind of Manual Focus where you can set the focal disatance and one of the options would be infinity ;)

OK. I didn't realise you were talking astrophotography.
Sorry. But wouldn't you have other problems such as with the exposure as well? The small sensor I wouldn't think that suitable for such dim light. Long exposure times would need some form of long exposure noise reduction or shorter exposures would need cleaning from using higher ISO values. Personally, I'd be looking for a cheap second-hand full frame camera you could plug into an external power supply.
2019-1-30
Use props
kburn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 435640 ft
Australia

For those that are interested in infinity lock options, I heard that with the new update AFS defaults to infinity when chosen until you tap on the screen. This means timelapse shots in low contrast / low light scenarios should be ok and the OP should default to the correct focus for each shot taken. I have yet to try it although I did do a quick photo test.

For those that are not interested or are disappointed by the introduction of this, too bad I guess....
2019-1-30
Use props
neil video
lvl.2
United Kingdom

If by 'infinity mode' people mean that everything will be in focus regardless of how far away it is (like the GoPro) then it's not possible, mainly due tot the aperture and focal length of the lens.

It might be possible to have something like a 3m-infinity focus mode, but DJI would have to be careful how they explained it to avoid confusion.
2019-1-31
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

kburn Posted at 1-30 19:34
For those that are interested in infinity lock options, I heard that with the new update AFS defaults to infinity when chosen until you tap on the screen. This means timelapse shots in low contrast / low light scenarios should be ok and the OP should default to the correct focus for each shot taken. I have yet to try it although I did do a quick photo test.

For those that are not interested or are disappointed by the introduction of this, too bad I guess....

Sounds like a good compromise
2019-1-31
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 1-30 12:43
OK. I didn't realise you were talking astrophotography.
Sorry. But wouldn't you have other problems such as with the exposure as well? The small sensor I wouldn't think that suitable for such dim light. Long exposure times would need some form of long exposure noise reduction or shorter exposures would need cleaning from using higher ISO values. Personally, I'd be looking for a cheap second-hand full frame camera you could plug into an external power supply.

Admittedly, to do it 'right' then yes, you are correct. But from a quick test, the OP does a great job for the size of the sensor plus the fact you get motionlapse too, which would be expensive add-on to getting a FF DSLR. If it just focused to infinity somehow, I think you could get very acceptable results for what it is.

I took one of the blood moon when away in the Alps last week and if it weren't for the moon being completely out of focus, it would have looked mega. You could still make out plenty of stars and the moon and the mountains lit up by moonlight. Shame it was OOF as it ruined it to view on anything other than a tiny screen.
2019-1-31
Use props
Bjs_express
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481496 ft
United States

Very cool. Nice walk thru of this feature.
2019-2-6
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

Mauros Films Posted at 1-30 02:55
Thanks for sharing my video =)

Thanks for making your video!
2019-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now